Hello friends!
Well, things are getting a bit more "normal" here - as in, only a couple of boxes left to unpack and things are starting to make their way onto the walls, making our new home really feel like a home. Of course, now I am determined to never ever ever move again. :-) (Unless the owners decide to sell to us, we'll most likely move permanently in a year or two...) But lets not ruin today thinking about that... for now, lets relax and Hodgepodge together like we do every week! (oh, and after you have journeyed through my answers, and left a kind comment below - they really do make me smile!- hope on over to the original post at Joyce's and join in on the fun...)
1. Lake Superior University has once again published a list of words/phrases they think should be banished from the Queen's English...here's the list for 2013-
fiscal cliff, kick the can down the road, double down, job creators/creation, passion/passionate, yolo (an acronym for you only live once), spoiler alert, bucket list, trending, superfood, boneless wings, and guru
2. When was the last time you rode a train? Where did you go?
Honestly, I think the last time I rode a train was several years ago when I was in southern California for a court case I was involved in (taking a scumbag to court... if you're really dying for the story, a brief synopsis is written here (Question #4, part 2)
3. Bagels-yay or nay? Favorite 'flavor'? Favorite topping?
Ohh, I love a freshly made everything bagel, lightly toasted, with garden veggie cream cheese. YUM!!!
We didn't have any bagel shops where we lived in Idaho, and I had been craving one for weeks... then we were in Salt Lake City over the holidays and after our New Years Eve debauchery - hehehe - my brother-in-law offered to pay if I would go get some... and so I did! And yes, it was absolutely delicious.
And now I want a bagel.
4. 'Tis the season of awards shows...if you could star in a movie already made which one would you choose?
I would absolutely love to have been in Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants or Mama Mia! Anything set in Greece!
5. The move towards single gender classrooms has been making the news in recent months....what say you? Do you think kids perform better if seperated by gender and are taught differently or is that discrimination? If you're a parent, is this something you'd support in regard to your own children?
Nope... I believe both genders have a lot to be gained by observing each other and learning to appreciate the differences in genders. Besides, I saw my son's class last year - 25 children, and 17 of them boys... oh my heavens... what a bundle of energy in that room!
6. What's your favorite thing about staying in a hotel?
Well, I've stayed in many hotels that haven't been ones I'd be in a hurry to go back to... but there are a few that, oh my, the beds were big and comfy with thick down comforters, lots of pillows... yep, hotels like that make it a treat to be away from home.
7. Do you have a 'word' for 2013? What's the story behind your choice?
Last year my word was "deliberate" - I felt the Lord lay that on my heart, to be deliberate with my time, with my friendships, with my family. This year, I've been in so much transition lately that I'm not sure I have a word yet... but I think it may be "graceful" - as in, whatever job we are in, whatever state we live in, whoever we are surrounded by, be graceful.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Right now it is cold. OK, not really. Well, by local standards... it is. But in Idaho, where we moved from, the temps have been down in the negatives and they are all icy and snowed in. So to move to southern California and see people in ski parkas and Ugg boots complaining because it is down in the 50s... cracks me up. (In fact, I took the kids out for ice cream tonight and they said we were one of only a few customers they had had all day!)
Then I saw this... and died laughing... those who live in warm temperate climates truly are spoiled... although I might say that with how stinkin' high everything COSTS here, surely one of the advantages should be warm temps year round, right? ;-)
Anyway... enjoy laughing at the silly Californians... I know I am!
Well, things are getting a bit more "normal" here - as in, only a couple of boxes left to unpack and things are starting to make their way onto the walls, making our new home really feel like a home. Of course, now I am determined to never ever ever move again. :-) (Unless the owners decide to sell to us, we'll most likely move permanently in a year or two...) But lets not ruin today thinking about that... for now, lets relax and Hodgepodge together like we do every week! (oh, and after you have journeyed through my answers, and left a kind comment below - they really do make me smile!- hope on over to the original post at Joyce's and join in on the fun...)
1. Lake Superior University has once again published a list of words/phrases they think should be banished from the Queen's English...here's the list for 2013-
fiscal cliff, kick the can down the road, double down, job creators/creation, passion/passionate, yolo (an acronym for you only live once), spoiler alert, bucket list, trending, superfood, boneless wings, and guru
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why. Go here to read more about how the words were chosen.
Oh geez, what a silly list... Personally, if I had to choose one of these, it would be the fiscal cliff... simply because I became SO tired of hearing about it!
Honestly, I think the last time I rode a train was several years ago when I was in southern California for a court case I was involved in (taking a scumbag to court... if you're really dying for the story, a brief synopsis is written here (Question #4, part 2)
3. Bagels-yay or nay? Favorite 'flavor'? Favorite topping?
Ohh, I love a freshly made everything bagel, lightly toasted, with garden veggie cream cheese. YUM!!!
We didn't have any bagel shops where we lived in Idaho, and I had been craving one for weeks... then we were in Salt Lake City over the holidays and after our New Years Eve debauchery - hehehe - my brother-in-law offered to pay if I would go get some... and so I did! And yes, it was absolutely delicious.
And now I want a bagel.
4. 'Tis the season of awards shows...if you could star in a movie already made which one would you choose?
I would absolutely love to have been in Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants or Mama Mia! Anything set in Greece!
5. The move towards single gender classrooms has been making the news in recent months....what say you? Do you think kids perform better if seperated by gender and are taught differently or is that discrimination? If you're a parent, is this something you'd support in regard to your own children?
Nope... I believe both genders have a lot to be gained by observing each other and learning to appreciate the differences in genders. Besides, I saw my son's class last year - 25 children, and 17 of them boys... oh my heavens... what a bundle of energy in that room!
6. What's your favorite thing about staying in a hotel?
Well, I've stayed in many hotels that haven't been ones I'd be in a hurry to go back to... but there are a few that, oh my, the beds were big and comfy with thick down comforters, lots of pillows... yep, hotels like that make it a treat to be away from home.
7. Do you have a 'word' for 2013? What's the story behind your choice?
Last year my word was "deliberate" - I felt the Lord lay that on my heart, to be deliberate with my time, with my friendships, with my family. This year, I've been in so much transition lately that I'm not sure I have a word yet... but I think it may be "graceful" - as in, whatever job we are in, whatever state we live in, whoever we are surrounded by, be graceful.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Right now it is cold. OK, not really. Well, by local standards... it is. But in Idaho, where we moved from, the temps have been down in the negatives and they are all icy and snowed in. So to move to southern California and see people in ski parkas and Ugg boots complaining because it is down in the 50s... cracks me up. (In fact, I took the kids out for ice cream tonight and they said we were one of only a few customers they had had all day!)
Then I saw this... and died laughing... those who live in warm temperate climates truly are spoiled... although I might say that with how stinkin' high everything COSTS here, surely one of the advantages should be warm temps year round, right? ;-)
Anyway... enjoy laughing at the silly Californians... I know I am!
13 comments:
I love me an everything bagel but have't heard of garden veggie cream cheese. I don't like veggie but im craving me some of that after having read your post, lol
I know what you mean about the chore of moving. I hate it. My first husband and I built houses, lived in them for about a year and then sold them. So we moved a lot. At first it wasn't too bad, but then as our family grew it became a major chore.
Glad you're all moved in and everything's going well. Welcome to CA! :) Hilarious video. I grew up in VA and yes, CA weather is awesome! :D
Good to hear from you! I figured you'd crack up hearing people whine about the cold 50 degree weather! LOL
I just saw that video on Facebook and laughed so hard. Here I am, in Nor Cal, for a week or so having to start my car 10 minutes before I leave to let it thaw out. lol Gotta love So Cal.
http://theramblingsofcharliebrown.blogspot.com
once again, I have to say we all need new beds and bedding. That has been the most popular answer :). I read your post about why you had to go to court. I had some similar happen to me but it was actually worse. We were moving from NC to WV and had rented a place that needed some fixing. My friend called the man to double check it was complete because I was getting my UHaul the next day. He said he wasn't done but it was livable and to come on. I have 2 cats in crates that have never been outside and have been panting from the heat even though we had ac in the UHaul. We get there, I go in and not only was it not done it wasn't livable. It only had subflooring in the living room, no floor at all in the kitchen which had been gutted, no toilets. I literally sat down and cried. I didn't know what to do. Its extremely hard to find any places to rent in this area. We ended up taking the cats to my ex's and my daughter stayed with him. I stayed with my best friend and it took me 3 weeks to find a place. I couldn't sue because we hadn't signed papers yet or exchanged money.
I have to say, as a former teacher, I'd rather have a classroom full of boys than girls. So.much.drama. : ) Glad you are settling in!
Being Canadian we get laughed at when we travel South in the winter because we don't bother to put a coat on to walk outside.
What is veggie cream cheese? I never tried it. ;) Anyway that video is so hilarious! It's funny how we're babies about the cold weather and people live in below zero temperatures!
Being from the south, I start to freeze when the temps. dip below about 45 degrees, which isn't often, thank goodness!
I love your word for the year! Mine is Confidence.
Julia @ Mom on the Run x2
Thanks for sharing-and I loved the random thought.
LA having an ARCTIC BLAST--BWAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!! We're in PA, so we sometimes get the read deal too. I do not envy my friends in North Dakota, who make PA's weather sound like beach weather! lol
Have a great night!
I agree with fiscal cliff term being the one to choose come see the rest of my answers at http://shopannies.blogspot.com
Post a Comment