Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Whew!  Has it really been just 2 weeks since our last Hodgepodge?  2 weeks in which we have had Christmas, New Years, our Middle C's bday, and oh yeah, a final Air Force flight and our movers packed us up to move 1000 miles away... Whew, what a couple of weeks!  But now, let us Hodgepodge our worries away!!!  (And feel free to join Joyce for her weekly Hodgpodge... it really is a fun group of people who join in every week!)

1. What is ONE thing or area in your home or life you hope to report is completely organized when 2013 draws to a close?  Do you  have a plan to make it happen? 

Since we just left the Air Force to start a brand new job, in a company we are creating ourselves, I am really praying that when 2013 draws to a close we will have everything established the way it needs to be... that we will have a handle on how the business needs to run, and how to best serve the needs of those who are hiring us.  Our plan to make this happen - to train and ask questions and probably make some mistakes along the way, but learn from them and come out stronger in the long run.


2. What's the worst uniform you've ever had to wear for a job?
Ooh, I can't wait to hear some the answers to this question... 


For myself, I would have to say it was my very first job, at the Blue Chip Cookie Company - it was really only an apron and tie, but for Pete's sake, I was only 15, and I couldn't tie a tie to save my life!  (Still can't, come to think of it)  That tie was the bane of my existence.  Probably a good thing it was only a summer job!  And I really really really hope my boys never ask me to teach them how to tie a tie...

3. What was your last kitchen 'mishap'?  This question comes to you courtesy of Bettywho blogs over at A Glimpse Into Midlife...everyone go say hi to Betty!
Oh gosh... I'm sure I've had others since then, but the last one I remember was about two months ago when I was running late, asked my eldest C to put some brats on the grill before we had to leave for church, and the brats caught on fire, the grill caught on fire, and it was at that point that I turned it all off, put out the flames, and declared that we were all going OUT to dinner before church!


Does that count?

4. How do you protect yourself from other people's negativity?
I tell myself that their negativity has no real reflection on me, that it is just how they are, and then I pray for them.


5. Who in your family do you most resemble (physically)? If you have children, who do people say they favor? Do you agree? 

I am a carbon copy of my grandmother Claires.  And my kids are a mix - my eldest C looks a lot like my dad and brother, my Middle C looks a lot like me and my Grandmother, and my youngest looks exactly like my husband.  They ALL got my husband's dark, long, thick eyelashes that I try very hard not to covet.  My hubs has brown eyes, while I have blue, but only our youngest has his brown eyes.  Take THAT Mendels's laws of genetics!  :-)



6. January 8th is National Bubble Bath Day...will you be celebrating?
Ummm. WHAT??? HOW is this holiday NOT written in bold print italics on my calendar???  Seriously... I did go in the jacuzzi tonight... does that count?

7.  Some of the 'world's best winter festivals' are - Mardi Gras (New Orleans),Quebec Winter Festival (Canada), Sundance Film Festival (Park City, Utah),  Rio Carnivale (Brazil), Sapporo Snow Festival (Japan), VeniceCarnival (Italy) and the Harbin Ice Festival (Northern China).  Of those listed (and if cost were not a factor) which would you most like to attend and why?
Ooh, I would have to say the Venice Carnival - simply because I have always wanted to go to Venice, Italy!


8.  Insert your own random thought here.


Definitely dealing with a bit of culture shock here - moving from the Air Force life, which we have known for 13 years, into the civilian world.  Moving from rural Idaho, home to 12,000 people not including cattle and sagebrush, to Orange County, CA - city population of 60,000 people not including sea gulls and surf boards.  A place where everyone has been really friendly, the neighborhood has tons of kids who play outside every day after school, and where the schools want to be sure your child is on the right college career path.  Amazing... But also, a town where everyone is a size 2, wears black yoga pants, and drives a shiny clean Mercedes.  I'm not kidding.  BUT... a dear friend reminded me last night that in the Bible, Daniel was also transplanted from his home into a foreign land, and He was challenged daily to stay true to the calling God had for him.  What an amazing blessing... to know that God has led us here... and He doesn't make mistakes... and we may not feel like we fit in here, but that's ok with God... because what He has planned for us is bigger and better than anything we could even fathom.  Even amidst the yoga pants and BMWs.  To Him be the glory.









10 comments:

J.Day said...

I'm not sure I could function in SoCal. Especially Orange County. I lived in Sacramento for 7 years and that was WAY too big for me. Good luck!

laura anne said...

So what I saw on 'The O.C.' wasn't too far off what the real Orange County is like then? I could handle the yoga pants, but the BMWs would irritate me a lot. I think I'd love the sun and surf though.

And yes, if the grill had caught fire, I think I'd declare it a take away or going out for dinner night too!

Hootin Anni said...

so many hodgepodgers are posting they resemble their grandmothers...wish I'd been able to know mine.

As for going from USAF to civilian life, that would be a stressful change in so many ways, relief in other ways.

Good luck in your new business adventure. 2013 will be good for you, I'm sure.

Joyce said...

Embrace the sun and surf : ) You've had a lot going on in a short amount of time...best wishes in your new home and in your new adventure!

Tami AKA My Kid's Mom said...

Good luck with the new venture and enjoy the sun!

retired not tired said...

I too go back to my grandmother. Wishing you the best of luck with your new ventures.

Susan said...

Praying for you all as you make this transition. Sounds frightening and exciting all at the same time. Sounds like you are keeping your focus in the right place. Have a great Wednesday!

Dawn said...

Living by the beach must be amazing though I know it has to all be stressful. I pray everyone makes the transition quickly and as smoothly as possible. Good Luck!!

Nikki said...

I never lived in orange county but have been to Angel games and Disneyland, they're obviously different cultured than LA people, i think.. So glad you're back in California :) Too bad both of our parents have left Rodeo Rd. we could see each other more often.
I definitely see a lot of Andy in big C!

Kimberly said...

Hope this is an easy transcation for you and your family! I could take the yoga pants and living by the beach.