Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Mama Mia!





1. Share something you appreciate (or something you appreciated as you were growing up) about your mother.

That she really did do the best she could, given the situations that were at hand.

2.  A quote most commonly ascribed to Plato reads "Necessity is the mother of invention." When did this last play out in your own experience?

Hmmm... can't think of anything at the moment!


3. Share one of the earliest memories you have from childhood.

I remember going to the hospital to see my baby brother when he was born (I was 2 1/2)... and a couple of months later running into my parents room on Christmas morning, to tell him it was Christmas and Santa had come, even though he was only 2 months old, and my mom and dad were annoyed because i woke him up. 


4. When did you last 'hit the mother lode'? What was it?

Not to be corny, but it really was when I married my husband and had our kids... seriously, so blessed beyond any imagination...


5. What is/was your favorite dish mom made? Do you make that dish for your family/friends now that you're all grown up?

When I had my third child, my parents were visiting and my mom made "Mrs Platt's casserole" - a recipe from my 4th grade teacher.  It is SO good, and I think I had 3 servings the night I got home from the hospital after giving birth.  It is the ultimate comfort food - chicken, cashews, celery, cream-of-something soup... oh, so good.  ANd yes, I do make it for friends who have had surgery or babies, and when it is cold and dreary outside...


6. Mother May I? was at one time a popular children's game. It required no equipment or parts to play. What was your favorite childhood game where you could just turn up and play-no gear needed?

Red Rover!  Hopscotch!


7. Which TV mom (past or present) is your favorite, and why?

Claire Huxtable, bar none.  Classy, elegant, loves her husband and is adored right back, keeps her kids in line while allowing them to explore their own personalities... Love her.



8.  Insert your own random thought here.


In honor of all moms... and in honor of my best friend, who passed away 5 years ago, and this is the last movie we saw together... 










8 comments:

Joyce said...

We loved Red Rover too, and would play huge games of this at camp. It could get rough : ) I wonder if kids ae still allowed to play this one? Happy Mother's Day!

Alex said...

Love that movie, can't help but smile.

April said...

That song makes me cry every time I hear it. Just beautiful! Claire Huxtable was my choice, too. Here's hoping you have yourself a wonderful Mother's Day!

Erika Mehlhaff said...

Your answer to #2 jumped out at me: you really are blessed--me, too! So glad 'necessity' is not on the top of a list of worries for you and yours, nor me and mine! Oh, and yeah: Red Rover, Red Rover send Sally right over!! Love you, my Friend...

E

Unknown said...

Ah, comfort food! That's always the best! I love who you put down as your favorite TV mom! Good reasons too! You are an excellent mom, Sally!

Zoanna said...

I hated Red Rover! The boys would hurt my arms to break through the linked partners! Ugh! I almost said Claire H but I rarely saw her vulnerability and she skways looked great, even at home. So not a real mom! Ha.

Nikki said...

oh i should've put down red rover! I did like that game too. :) Its sad we don't see that anymore in this generation. There's too many weirdos outside so our kids can't play by themselves outdoors anymore.

Nikki said...

oh and please say hello to your mom (dad too!) I remember she always bought girl scout cookies from me way back in the day. :)