Welcome to the Wednesday Hodgepodge! Phew - what a week it has been! A funeral, a show (went to see the Book of Mormon - oh my goodness...), Mothers Day, never a dull moment in the Henry household, that's for sure! Thanks for stopping by - feel free to follow the link below to Joyce's Hodgepodge and post the same questions on your own blog! It's a lot of fun, and I look forward to hearing from my "Hodgepodge friends" each and every week!
1. It's still May, right? When were you last in the middle of something that might be described as mayhem?
When I think of "mayhem" I think of chaos... so...
Last Thursday, my Little C's pet guinea pig, Chester, died. He was only a few months old, and we had just gotten him in February. To make a long story short, he woke up in the morning acting strangely, and by the time I got home in the afternoon he was gone. In the middle of comforting my Little C, who was devastated, making dinner, and getting my Big C to work, the downstairs toilet also started overflowing with, er, grossness. My Hubs was up in LA at business meetings and wouldn't be home for hours. So, I did what one can only do in this situation. I closed the bathroom door. Walked outside with the deceased Mr Chester Guinea Pig in a shoebox, where four little girls from the neighborhood were waiting to pay their respects. Walking down the street to the burial site, they trailed behind, sniffing tears... it was a true funeral procession, complete with hired wailers! A lovely service commenced, with the eating of carrots and oranges (Chester's favorites). I then took the kids out to ice cream (their favorite), then we came home, they went to bed, and I had a much needed glass of wine (my favorite). And yes, the bathroom door remained closed until my hubs got home to deal with it.
Mayhem. Definitely.
2. When did you last feel dismayed?
Last month when my hub's company got cut from all the contracts he had with his only hiring company. Devastation.
3. What's a food combination you like, but other people may find strange?
Lemon juice on vanilla ice cream. Don't knock it until you try it!! Yum!
4. "It is never too late to be what you might have been." Do you think that's true? Why or why not?
I absolutely think that is true! There are always ways to utilize your desires and talents - even if they aren't the traditional manner.
5. US News and World Report listed the best historic destinations in the US as follows-Washington D.C, Philadelphia PA, Williamsburg VA, Charleston SC, Boston MA, Richmnd VA, Savannah, GA, Santa Fe NM, Yellowstone, San Antonio TX, San Francisco CA, New Orleans LA, and Charlottesville VA.
Of those listed how many have you seen in person? Which two sites on the list would you most like to see in person?
I've been to Washington DC, Yellowstone, San Antonio, San Fransisco, New Orleans.
I would love to go to Boston and Philadelphia!
6. May is National Physical Fitness and Sports Month. If you had to participate in a single fitness activity for the next half hour, which activity would you choose?
Yoga!
7. What did you like best about the city, town, or neighborhood where you grew up?
Our city had peacocks that roamed around the town. Yes, in suburban Los Angeles!

8. Insert your own random thought here.
So, last week when I posted the Hodgepodge, I forgot to post pictures of the trip to Mexico I took with Big C and Middle C! We went down for a weekend house-build, and it was an amazing weekend. Here are some pictures!
This is the family, placing a cross in their newly constructed house. I couldn't believe we actually built a house in one day - but it was fantastic. What an experience.
This is the "Estrogen Van" as I called my minivan - 7 giggly sweet pre-teen girls!
This is my Big C - what a hard worker!







10 comments:
I really enjoyed your photos of your Mexico trip! What a blessing and I'm so happy for those little guys and their family. I sure did the same thing when our toilet overflowed yesterday...my husband tried to fix it and couldn't. The plumber made it this evening and all is right in the world again:) So sorry about Chester. You all handled it so sweetly!
I can only imagine what an unforgettable experience it was to travel down to Mexico and help a family in need of a home. I just love that! Poor little Chester. Losing a fur baby, regardless of the size or how long you've had it is never easy. I would have done the same thing with the bathroom...shut the door and wait for hubby.
Congrats on helping with a house build! I'm involved with Habitat for Humanity and have been on quite a few…it's always an amazing experience! Peacocks roaming? I love it!!! And… I'm with you on keeping the bathroom repair duty to the hubby! ew!
I will have to try lemon on vanilla ice cream! I love all things lemon.
What a great experience, to do that home building! I think that a visit to a third-world country is worth so much more than kids traveling to the big cities of affluent Europe. Good for them to see that most people in the world do not live like we do.
Love you, Sally. Thanks for always being there for me, even in the midst of your own mayhem.
E
I am sorry about the guinnea pig! :( What a sweet service you guys threw for him though.
Oh yes the peacocks, although i don't think they came in our yard.
So sorry about Mr. Chester Passing away. I know how hard that kind of thing can be on the kids. We lost a entire litter of kittens last summer and it devastated them. HUGS!! And I would totally leave the bathroom for my husband too! :) Have a great Wednesday!
Your mayhem definitely sounds like mayhem! How fortunate you are to have participated in a house build. That's on hubs and my bucket list for retirement. I am definitely going to do this!
Only you, Sally, can make the death, procession, and burial of a guinea pig something so funny! As seriously as I know how, I send my condolences to you on the loss of Mr. Chester. (The tomb "stone" is priceless.)
How amazing to be part of that construction project. To give someone a house built with your own hands with love...what a blessing.
Post a Comment