Tuesday, March 11, 2014
Welcome to another week of Hodgepodging. After you've read the questions/answers here, check out Joyce's blog where it all begins!
1. Do you have an interest in learning about your family's heritage? Why or why not? If you know a little bit about your roots, share an interesting piece of trivia or a fun fact about someone who goes way back on your family tree.
Yes, I love knowing where our family is from - sadly, I don't have many actual stories from generations ago - my mother's side of the family actually dates back to the Pilgrims (how cool would THAT be to have their stories!) but I do have my grandmother's diaries (on my dad's side) from when she moved to Hollywood from Minneapolis. She was truly a flapper in the twenties and had boys chasing her down the street - she was gorgeous! I love reading her diaries, hearing the language of the twenties, her descriptions of 1920s Hollywood, the tickets stubs I find in the pages... my daughter is named after her, and I can see glimpses of her strong spirit in my dear girl!
Yes, I love knowing where our family is from - sadly, I don't have many actual stories from generations ago - my mother's side of the family actually dates back to the Pilgrims (how cool would THAT be to have their stories!) but I do have my grandmother's diaries (on my dad's side) from when she moved to Hollywood from Minneapolis. She was truly a flapper in the twenties and had boys chasing her down the street - she was gorgeous! I love reading her diaries, hearing the language of the twenties, her descriptions of 1920s Hollywood, the tickets stubs I find in the pages... my daughter is named after her, and I can see glimpses of her strong spirit in my dear girl!
2. Branch Rickey, the baseball exec credited with signing Jackie Robinson, is quoted as saying-
"Luck is the residue of design."
Agree or disagree? Why?So essentially he is saying there is no such things as luck - that you must be deliberate in your choices and use some common sense, utilizing your talents in a manner that results in success, which would appear to be "luck" by those unfortunate enough to not have such wherewithal. Makes sense.
3. In the town where you currently reside, what's your favorite green space?
Right outside our neighborhood is a wonderful greenbelt with a pathway for walking. I love walking/jogging along the path, greeting people walking their dogs, enjoying the view of the hills. My other favorite walking spot is just the opposite - alongside the beach, just 5 minutes away!
4. Who is your favorite comedian?
My family all loves Tim Hawkins and Bob Smiley - they are family friendly, and are hilarious! We have even seen them live.
My hubby and I love Bill Engvall, Larry the Cable Guy, and Alonzo Bodden. When we lived in North Carolina, there was a great comedy club that would bring in fantastic stand-up comedians... when "Last Comic Standing" was done for the season, all of the comics would go on tour and we would get to see them there. Very fun!
5. March is National Nutrition Month, and almost everyone needs to improve their diet in some way. What about you? How can you improve your nutrition on a daily basis? Will you try?
Oh, quite honestly I've had it. I'm so tired of every other article telling me to eat less carbs, eat less meat, eat more veggies but only these particular ones, because others are actually masquerading as carbs and meat, and I shouldn't drink caffeine or alcohol, but if I'm going to drink, then make it red wine because at least that's good for my heart, even if I don't like how it tastes, and my coffee had better be Fair Trade (which I actually, yes, do value tremendously), but it had also better be organic and not destroy the rain forests, or else I had better enjoy a heap of guilt with the non-dairy creamer I put in my coffee. And gluten free diets or paleo or eliminate the soy, dairy, air that I consume and surely then I will feel healthy. Blech. Life is short. Everything in moderation. And if I overdo, then a few days of penitent eating/drinking gets me back on track every time. Enough already!
I love this sweatshirt my friend Nikki shared on Pinterest...
http://www.cafepress.com/+run_hard_eat_cupcakes_hooded_sweatshirt,1228594581
6. Which of these green expressions have you 'experienced' in recent weeks -green with envy, green thumb, green around the gills, or give the green light? Explain.
"Give the green light" - the associate pastor I work with had asked me to work on a project for her, one that we both thought would take months and months and hours and hours of work... but with her permission I did some more investigating, and ended up finding a very simple way to complete the project within an hour... a pretty good feeling, to have only have worked here for a month and already been given the "green light" on a huge project, and to be successful so far!
7. Where is one place you don't mind waiting?
The spa. More time to sit and read fluff "People" magazines and relax? yes please.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
"Get off the Scale"
"You are beautiful. Your beauty, just like your capacity for life, happiness, and success, is immeasurable. Day after day, countless people across the globe get on a scale in search of validation of beauty and social acceptance.
Get off the scale! I have yet to see a scale that can tell you how enchanting your eyes are. I have yet to see a scale that can show you how wonderful your hair looks when the sun shines its glorious rays on it. I have yet to see a scale that can thank you for your compassion, sense of humor, and contagious smile. Get off the scale, because I have yet to see one that can admire you for your perserverance when challenged in life.
It's true, the scale can only give you a numerical reflection of your relationship with gravity. that's it. It cannot measure beauty, talent, purpose, life force, possibility, strength, or love. Don't give the scale more power than it has earned. Take note of the number, then get off the scale and live your life. You are beautiful, just the way you are!" - Steve Marabol

12 comments:
Love the get off the scale! So true! Also, super cool about your family heritage. I always wish I knew more about mine. Makes me wish I kept a written journal for future generations, guess they can always go back and check our blogs!
How fun to have the diaries. I would love that! The Spa : ) Good answer!
That is such a treasure to have your grandmothers diary!
The SPA is always a good idea and to relish every second. Very good answer.
I found you through the hodgepodge linkup.
How fun it would be to read your flapper grandma's diary! I wonder if she ever thought someone would be reading her secret thoughts. Yikes.
Hmmmm...perfect day: reading your grandma's diaries and drinking a glass of chardonnay having walked along the beach to the spa where you wait for your turn while listening to Tim Hawkins!! <3
Miss you tons and tons!
E
A flapper! That's pretty cool! Way to go Grandma! lol And, I agree and often say "everything in moderation." It's the best way!
yeah to your thoughts on nutrition and diets. I am allergic to red wine, can't eat fish and LOVE chocolate!
ah the spa! I didn't think of that right away. That indeed is a nice place to wait. :D
I love #8. I am not as chubby as I have ever been but certainly chubbier than I have mostly been. But what suddenly resonates with me is that I want to be fit enough to keep up with my boys. Beyond that, I am SO proud of what my body has been able to accomplish. Look at those two beautiful children I have, look at that finish line pic from the 1/2 marathon that I trotted, Look at those laugh lines that far outnumber the worry lines, the grey hair that still looks good cause I have FABULOUS hair! ;) I wish I could instill this feeling in the girls that are growing up, because its a great feeling.
OK...your random thought ROCKS! Love it! I agree with you, eat pretty much what you want in moderation...I can't possibly keep up with all the fad diets going around. I'm with you on the spa thing and waiting...I have ALL day!
Oh I would love to have diaries from my grandmother. I was very close to her and she had one that she wrote in for a couple of months and then she quit. You are very fortunate to have them.
I just loved reading your answers, as usual, my friend. I have an uncanny affinity for the Roaring 20's so your flapper grandma's diaries would be treasures in my hands. Your thoughts on eating and drinking with the fads absolutely cracked me up. I think when we meet (not "if"!) we need to take in a comedy night, a day spa where you read grandma's diaries while we get pedicuures, then we'll go out for some great food, white wine and ....well, you get the picture!
Post a Comment