Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A Happy Day Hodgepodge!



Celebrate with me friends - for the first time since October, I'm not working until 10pm on a Tuesday night, juggling 3 jobs, trying desperately to post a blog in the wee hours of the morning so it can post on Wednesday... yep, I'm down to only one job now!  yea!  And not only that, but it's a full time job at our church - what a neat working environment!  God is so good... So here I am, only working ONE job, and ready to HODGEPODGE, baby!  



1. The expression 'mad as a March hare' originated with a fictional character who is distracted and frantic. When were you last 'mad as a March hare' and what was it that made you that way?

Hmm - it takes a lot to get me truly that angry - probably when I was hurt deeply by someone a while back... hard not to be upset!

2. Mardi Gras this year falls on Tuesday, March 4th. Have you ever been to Mardi Gras, and if so what did you think? If not, do you have any interest in going?  Purple, green, and gold are the colors of Mardi Gras. Which one is most prevalent in your wardrobe? How about in your home?

I've never been to Mardi Gras, but I lived in the deep south for several years, just a few hours away from New Orleans- and believe me, EVERYONE in that area takes Mardi Gras very seriously... quite the cultural experience! (I'll admit I had a few moments of "WHAT??" when my daughter's preschool had them on the playground shouting "Toss me some beads mister!" to the other kids... Umm, what??)


 I went to New Orleans when it WASN'T Mardi Gras, and that was enough of an eye-opening experience for me - I can't even imagine what it would be like otherwise!

Of the Mardi Gras colors, I'd have to say green is my most prevalent color, both in home and in wardrobe... but more olive tones... though my Middle C has bright celery green in her room!

3. Are you old fashioned?

I just turned to my 16-year-old and asked him if I was old fashioned... and he said "no!"  But that my husband (his dad) is!  Bahahahahaaaaa.....


4. Do you carefully plan your vacations, or do you prefer the days to be more spontaneous?

I prefer to be more spontaneous - maybe planning the night before, or the morning of... my dear husband, though, deeply craves a plan... we compromise a lot! :-)


5.  March is National Sauce Month...what's your favorite sauce, and what do you most often top with this sauce?

Ever since I was pregnant with my Middle C and craved honey mustard sauce like it was the LAST LIQUID ON EARTH... (yeah, that was my first inkling that maybe I was pregnant - the stuff tasted like liquid gold, I tell you!)  (Although, liquid gold probably wouldn't actually taste that good... or anything like honey mustard dressing... but I digress...)


So anyway, honey mustard dressing... my favorite since 2001.  And if you give me some Chick-fil-a nuggets to go with it... I'm a happy woman.  Oh. My. Lanta.

Now I want some honey mustard dressing.  And I'm not pregnant.  Trust me.

6.  What's something that easily brings a tear to your eye?

Any story about a child dying, or losing a loved one much too early.  'Nuff said.


7. If you could own any sports team, which one would it be and why?

Personally, I don't care that much about any particular sports team.  But, if I have to go pro, I'd stick with the Dodgers, in honor of my Papa, who loved them.  If I can go local, I'd go with the local AYSO soccer league, because YES, I know they are volunteer led, but oh good golly, they can't be organized or communicate to save their lives... just sayin.  Sigh.


8.  Insert your own random thought here.


So a while back Joyce asked how we felt about celebrating our birthdays.  And I'll freely admit, I LOVE celebrating my birthday.  Especially as I've gotten older, I've realized more and more that life is to be celebrated, not taken for granted, and you need to celebrate whenever possible!

So yeah... it's kinda my birthday today... I'm 41... officially "into" my 40s, as my dear John likes to remind me (even though he's a whole year older than me... and I won't let him forget it)... but I love reminiscing, thinking back on the last year, 5 years, 10 years, etc.  And then looking forward... to the next year, 5 years, 10 years... and knowing that no matter what happens, God is good... He has a plan... and yes, life is to be celebrated with those you love!  Have a wonderful day today, friends - celebrate each day! :-)






9 comments:

Joyce said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day! And I'm so glad the job situation settled down and you're working only one. I'm sure that feels more manageable. Enjoy your special day. I'm all about stretching out a birthday to last at least a week : )

April said...

Happy, Happy Birthday, Sally! Have a fun celebration! I'm in total agreement...New Orleans just isn't for me and I have zero desire to attend Mardi Gras.

Cranberry Morning said...

Haha! Fun to read what your son said about you being old fashioned or not - and his opinion about your husband. Very funny!

A Joyful Chaos said...

I also love honey mustard, in our town there's a place that makes sandwiches and they have the best honey mustard. I wish they'd bottle and sell it!

Erika Mehlhaff said...

Happiest of happy birthdays to you!! And I'm not surprised at all that you were born in Nat'l Sauce Month, being that you are one of the awesome-sauciest people I know!! Love you!!!!!!

<3,
Erika

Cranberry Morning said...

I would have emailed you with this additional comment, but can't find your email address on your blog. ANYway, just wanted to say that yes, Downton Abbey was a fast favorite of ours. We've got all the seasons on DVD and they're like audio/visual comfort food to us. :-)

Tami said...

Happy Birthday! I enjoyed your answers. Many made me smile! Happy Wednesday. =)

bp said...

Happy birthday! Enjoy your day!


I like the honey mustard at Chilis and use it on my chicken crispers and fries. Yummy!

Nice to visit you today on the Hodgepodge.

Marla said...

"Kinda" Happy birthday! You are still young! But, way to go, for thinking current - and for and not being old-fashioned in your son's eyes!