It has been a long time since I have simply blogged. Journaled. Just written... no prompts, no preconceived thoughts... just blogged...
So here I am.
This week began our first week of both Duane and I working full time. I started a new job at our church as the front office receptionist and administrator for care and concern. As my son put it, I'm the first line of defense for anyone who walks in the office! It's challenging, and has been a week full of trying to figure out who people are, what they do, how to work the phones, how/when to assist those who come asking for help, how to administer the church website, how to take inventory and order office supplies and make sure we have enough toner and paper for the 6 copiers and how to clear paper jams and how to request immediate service calls when a microscopic piece of cardstock gets stuck in the back recesses of the "bus" (the huge mongo printer)...and how to delegate tasks to the office "angels" who come in to relieve me during my lunch break, and plan the monthly staff lunch which also happens to fall the same week as our pastor's 50th birthday so it needs to be bigger and better than all others, not that I have any idea how the others have been done, because, well, this is my FIRST week!...
And then, how to grocery shop and organize kids soccer and band practices and youth group activities and doctors appointments and do laundry and fold laundry and let go of the knowledge that the floors may not get vacuumed or steam mopped... and then work at night at Crazy 8, since I have two weeks left with them. Just to make things more interesting, when I was working Tuesday night I slipped on some posters in the back room and did one of those crazy "catch myself before I totally fall" moves - didn't go all the way to the ground, but I tweaked my hip (yes, the one I had surgery on last year) and my lower back. So, we are filing a workers comp claim. Because this week isn't crazy enough.
We also added two members to our family this week - two baby guinea pigs that Little C wanted for his birthday. So that's a new adventure... they are cute, but trying to get them socialized and figure out how/what/when to feed them and change their bedding when the *&%$#! water bottle leaks all over their cage. Again.
So this morning, I'm struggling... just trying to keep my perspective, that at the end of this week I will no longer be working for Crazy 8 and will have the evenings back. I will rest better. There will be more time to get the miscellaneous household chores done. Even soccer will be over after today (well, until spring ball starts, that is)
And if one more person tells me to delegate more responsibility to my husband and children, I'm going to scream. Because even THAT takes energy that I simply. Don't. Have. I know, I know... if they did more, and if I let go of my standards a bit, it wouldn't get so overwhelming. We're figuring it out. And Duane has been really good about doing the dishes after I go to work in the morning, and doing them again after I leave for work in the evenings...
It's just me. Wallowing in my exhaustion from the week, the frustration of more hip pain, the little messes around the house that drive me crazy, the children who have NO idea WHO spilled the entire box of Lucky Charms in the garage and didn't clean it up...
Blech. I'm just venting. In the face of so many other problems, these don't even register on the scale. We are healthy. God has provided this job at just the right time. It is a good job. The people I work with are fantastic. I get to talk freely about God, listen to praise music as I work, and genuinely help people. And if I stand up at my desk, I can even see the ocean from the window! All the little stuff, the annoyances, the laundry, the errands, the crazy schedules... it's all stuff, and it will eventually get taken care of...
And in the meantime, I'm going to snuggle with my kids... I'm going to go to their soccer games... and I'm going to take a much needed nap... because those things have also been neglected this week, and those are the things that can't be replaced or "done later"
So here I am.
This week began our first week of both Duane and I working full time. I started a new job at our church as the front office receptionist and administrator for care and concern. As my son put it, I'm the first line of defense for anyone who walks in the office! It's challenging, and has been a week full of trying to figure out who people are, what they do, how to work the phones, how/when to assist those who come asking for help, how to administer the church website, how to take inventory and order office supplies and make sure we have enough toner and paper for the 6 copiers and how to clear paper jams and how to request immediate service calls when a microscopic piece of cardstock gets stuck in the back recesses of the "bus" (the huge mongo printer)...and how to delegate tasks to the office "angels" who come in to relieve me during my lunch break, and plan the monthly staff lunch which also happens to fall the same week as our pastor's 50th birthday so it needs to be bigger and better than all others, not that I have any idea how the others have been done, because, well, this is my FIRST week!...
And then, how to grocery shop and organize kids soccer and band practices and youth group activities and doctors appointments and do laundry and fold laundry and let go of the knowledge that the floors may not get vacuumed or steam mopped... and then work at night at Crazy 8, since I have two weeks left with them. Just to make things more interesting, when I was working Tuesday night I slipped on some posters in the back room and did one of those crazy "catch myself before I totally fall" moves - didn't go all the way to the ground, but I tweaked my hip (yes, the one I had surgery on last year) and my lower back. So, we are filing a workers comp claim. Because this week isn't crazy enough.
We also added two members to our family this week - two baby guinea pigs that Little C wanted for his birthday. So that's a new adventure... they are cute, but trying to get them socialized and figure out how/what/when to feed them and change their bedding when the *&%$#! water bottle leaks all over their cage. Again.
So this morning, I'm struggling... just trying to keep my perspective, that at the end of this week I will no longer be working for Crazy 8 and will have the evenings back. I will rest better. There will be more time to get the miscellaneous household chores done. Even soccer will be over after today (well, until spring ball starts, that is)
And if one more person tells me to delegate more responsibility to my husband and children, I'm going to scream. Because even THAT takes energy that I simply. Don't. Have. I know, I know... if they did more, and if I let go of my standards a bit, it wouldn't get so overwhelming. We're figuring it out. And Duane has been really good about doing the dishes after I go to work in the morning, and doing them again after I leave for work in the evenings...
It's just me. Wallowing in my exhaustion from the week, the frustration of more hip pain, the little messes around the house that drive me crazy, the children who have NO idea WHO spilled the entire box of Lucky Charms in the garage and didn't clean it up...
Blech. I'm just venting. In the face of so many other problems, these don't even register on the scale. We are healthy. God has provided this job at just the right time. It is a good job. The people I work with are fantastic. I get to talk freely about God, listen to praise music as I work, and genuinely help people. And if I stand up at my desk, I can even see the ocean from the window! All the little stuff, the annoyances, the laundry, the errands, the crazy schedules... it's all stuff, and it will eventually get taken care of...
And in the meantime, I'm going to snuggle with my kids... I'm going to go to their soccer games... and I'm going to take a much needed nap... because those things have also been neglected this week, and those are the things that can't be replaced or "done later"
2 comments:
Wishing you much success with your new job! How exciting!
Just saw this one. Love ya Miss Sally. You are an amazing woman. :) - Kendall
Post a Comment