Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Calm in the midst of the Storm...

Hello friends!  Welcome back to our weekly Hodgepodge... I realize it has been a long time since I've actually written any other blog fodder than the Hodgepodge, not that that's a bad thing, but I've got another blog post brewing in my mind... so stay tuned... perhaps one will come sooner than later!  In the meantime, lets Hodgepodge!

oops - accidentally hit "publish" there instead of "save"... oh boy, this might be a fun morning...

Away to the Hodgepodge we go!

1. Are you doing anything special to mark this season of Advent? If so please share.

Other than reading the daily Advent devotions that our pastor puts out (which are wonderful!), I'm not really doing anything this year... I wish I were... right now I feel like life is so full and complicated, and really, that's when I SHOULD be taking a break from it all and resting in the comfort that Jesus came into our world... read that, OUR world, the messy complicated world - not in a palace set apart from everyone, but in a common yucky dirty stable... God with us, indeed.


2. Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen...and of course you recall, the most famous reindeer of all...so, which reindeer name best describes you this week? 

Donner... without a doubt... Donner.  As I "don" the many hats I wear right now - Mom, check.  Wife, check. Teacher, check.  Retail associate, check.  Daycare worker, check.  Daughter (my dad is in the hospital, and their kitchen is being remodeled). 


Check, check, check... don, don, donner.

3. What's worse-too quiet or too loud? Which have you had more of lately?
 

Too loud is, generally, worse.  Because it drowns out what is truly important and just adds to the chaos.  However, any mom of toddlers knows that too quiet usually means trouble! :-)

4. This question comes to you from Zoanna over at A Penchant for Pens-thanks Zo! 

When you are administratively gifted, how often do you find yourself not trusting less gifted people to do what they've committed to do?  If you are not so gifted that way, but are reliable, how do you feel when the stronger person (in that area) goes ahead and covers it before giving you a chance to come through? 

Ooh, deep question Zo!  (and for the record, I have NO idea why my font just changed... ugh... see, I TOLD you it was going to be a bizarre post today)  In answer to your question, Zoanna, yes, when I am in an administrative position and find that others aren't as capable, I have a hard time "handing over the reigns" - I struggle to let go of my high standards and deal with the frustration when things are not done to completion or are left with more questions than answers in the end.  When I am not the stronger person, I don't have a hard time letting others lead, however if they go over my head after asking me to do a task, then I feel demeaned and frustrated.  A difficult position for sure!


5. What is your most dreaded task relating to the holidays? Your most looked forward to holiday task?

Most dreaded (see, there goes my font, changing on its own again)... I don't really have one!  I love finding things for people - although this year our budget is much tighter, so I'm not able to give as much as I would like to.  


6. Facebook has released its list of the 'most talked about' topics of 2013. Pope Francis took the number one spot.  Does that surprise you? He was followed by election, royal baby, typhoon, and Harlem Shake. Your thoughts? What was your most talked about topic in 2013? (Facebook, around the kitchen table, or wherever it is you talk)

I think Pope Francis has taken the world, not to mention the Catholic church, by storm and refocused on what is truly the mission of Christ.  While I may not agree with everything he says, I have great respect for his leadership style.  And seeing that our family has indeed talked about him, it doesn't surprise me at all that he was right up there on the Facebook chatter list!  In 2013 our most talked about topic was our budget, and making priorities as a family.


7. What's something you consider a necessity that others might view as a luxury?

My immediate thoughts go to a warm bed, water, clothing, electricity - all things we take for granted and have an absolute fit if anything disrupts those things for a nanosecond.  All things that other people all over the world do not have.


8.  Insert your own random thought here.








Right now my dad is facing open heart surgery.  Their house is torn apart with the kitchen remodel.  My kids have Christmas concerts, church and scout activities, and every other email is a request for donations or help.  I'm working nights and weekends in the mall, and teaching a couple of days each week during the day.  Things are chaotic.  Not still.  Not silent.  Loud.  Donning a new hat every hour. And so, in the midst of this... I pause... I force stillness on my soul... I lift up my eyes to the skies... and thank God for never ever leaving me... for always being here... just a breath away... in all ways, and for always.

This is my all time favorite version of Silent Night.  Sit back, and let it wash over you... just for 5 minutes... the last image made me cry... this, this is what it is all about.  Peace in the midst of the storm.




2 comments:

Erika Mehlhaff said...

I love that you never lose focus on God, even in the midst of chaos. And I love that we are friends. And I also love that version of Silent Night...it's not just for Christmas playlists, eh?!

Praying for you and your family, and esp. your Dad...

Love always,
Erika

Joyce said...

I was just chatting with a friend who is on overload right now too. I think it is okay, more than okay, fine, good even, to just say you'd love to help but please call you for another event. That right now you're on overload dealing with new jobs and health issues with your parents requiring your attention. As someone who can relate to your answer for #4 : ) I think we might be cut from a similar cloth. It is hard for me to say no to things, things I know I am good at, to potentially disappoint or let someone down, and consequently I sometimes end up with too much on my plate. In this season of Advent give yourself a heaping helping of grace to do what is needed for your family and to rest and refill your own tank too. Praying all goes well for your dad. Hugs!