Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A Christmas pause...




1. Do you believe in miracles?

Oh absolutely!!  I've seen miracles first hand - my sister-in-law, falling 75 feet off of a cliff, into cactus, and being found by an angel hiker (she was nowhere near a trail).  A miracle.  A friend's co-worker being told she had stage 4 cancer throughout her entire body... and two rounds of chemo later, they can't find a single tumor... can't find any trace of cancer anywhere in her.  A miracle.  Miracles happen every day... in big ways, and in small ways.  You just have to look for them harder sometimes!

2. What's a recent fad you admit to trying?

Rainbow looms.  These things are so popular... it just shows that I have no business sense whatsoever... at $5 a bag for little rubber bands... I don't even want to THINK about how much these people have made.  (And apparently they were invented by a dad, who created them for his kids... which is kinda cool)

3. Peppermint-are you a fan? If so, what's your favorite food or beverage containing peppermint?

Yes.  And these are more addictive than oreos... and that's saying something... Go buy a few boxes today... you'll thank me.


4. Break the ice, on thin ice, as cold as ice (emotionally, not literally)...which phrase have you run into most recently? Explain.

I would have to say "Break the ice" - as I have two jobs that are new to me, and I'm having to find my way... introduce myself to parents and teachers at the school, and connect with customers in the store.  Luckily I'm pretty good at connecting with people...

5. Have you ever broken or spilled something in someone else's home? Still friends?

The only thing that comes to mind is during one of my first times at my friend Jenny's house.  I was learning how to be a rubber stamping demonstrator, and I was at her kitchen table, using a bumble bee roller wheel.  When all of a sudden I realized I had gone off the paper, onto her table, with Stazon ink - the permanent ink.  She just looked at me with wide eyes and said "That's where my husband sits... he's going to kill me!"  Uh oh... many many applications of ink remover later, and it was mostly off.  And yes, we don't talk as much as we used to - time and geographical distance will do that - but yes, we are still friends!

6.  'Tis the week before Christmas...are you feeling more like Buddy the Elf or theGrinch before his heart grew?

Definitely Buddy the Elf!  I do love this season... the music, the lights, the smiles... even with the crazy mall, the insane work schedule, the peppermint Joe-Joes always tempting me... :-)

7. Share a favorite quote relating to Christmas.

"Christmas! The very word brings joy to our hearts. No matter how we may dread the rush, the long Christmas lists for gifts and cards to be bought and given--when Christmas Day comes there is still the same warm feeling we had as children, the same warmth that enfolds our hearts and our homes.” 
― Joan Winmill Brown

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

Tonight I was supposed to go to a Christmas party.  New friends.  yummy food.  Ornament exchange.  A welcome break from working late nights at the mall... but then... today I was worn out.  Call it hormones... life catching up with me... the fact that I've worked the last 5 days straight in two jobs.  But this afternoon I got a reminder that the most important things in life are those that are right around you... and for me, that's my husband and kids... yes, I still want to foster my new friendships... but for tonight, I needed to just walk hand in hand with my husband on the pier, enjoy a glass of wine and dinner with my family, and drive around looking at the amazing Christmas lights in a ritzy neighborhood.  (Even if it felt a bit strange, running the AIR CONDITIONING in the car as we drove!  I'm not kidding!)  But still...So, so good.  There's always next year for the ornament exchange... and I know my friends understand.  Merry Christmas, friends. 

5 comments:

April said...

Sounsd like your work schedule has been a little crazy...hope things slow down for you soon. Wow...loved reading about the miracles you shared, especially about your friend who no longer has cancer. God is so incredibly GOOD! Glad you were able to enjoy some much-needed time with your family...that's what it's all about!

Joyce said...

I'm glad you paused : ) Sounds like a nice break in a busy week. We are covered in snow, and I am loving it! Now, ask me in March and I'll have a different answer, but in December a week before Christmas, it's pretty magical. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Here's hoping you have a happy and blessed Christmas - AC and all!!

Susan said...

So glad you were able to slow down and be present with your family. And I am determined to find some of those peppermint joe-joes I keep hearing about! I can't even find the peppermint oreos this year. And peppermint's my favorite. :)

Nikki said...

Oh my gosh No. 3! Those are my favorite cookies ever! I do also like the chocolate covered ones but they are a bit too fudgy for me. They're still good too! I hope you all have a Merry Christmas!