Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Simply thankful...

Oh, so much to be thankful for - not just this week, but every day.  I truly am thankful for this holiday, however, that reminds us to pause and simply give thanks for all that we have - how sad is it that we have to be reminded!  But one of the things I am thankful for, among many, is this weekly Hodgepodge and all of my friends who stop by each week!  Have a wonderful thanksgiving!

1. Are you settling for something?

I think in life you are always "settling" for something... accepting things for how they are and learning to be content, even in the midst of discomfort.  When we were in the military, we had to "settle" for being away from family during the holidays.  Living here now, we have to "settle" for a lot of uncertainty in my husband's job and in our financial situation, trusting that God will provide... and if that's the lesson I learn through it all, to trust God more, then I'll settle for whatever I have to... because that's a lesson worth learning.


2.  It wasn't that long ago almost every store in the US locked doors and turned out lights on Thanksgiving Day. This year many will be open all day Thursday, giving shoppers a jump start on 'Black Friday'. In your opinion is this a good thing or a not so good thing? Will you be shopping on Thanksgiving Day?

Ugh - I am SO disgusted by the love of money - the endless competitiveness of who will have the best deals, who will get more shoppers in their stores.  Last week my manager told me I could call on Thursday to get my schedule for the following week, and I looked at her in disbelief that they were open on Thanksgiving.  But oh yes, they are.  Sigh.  Seriously, what is wrong with this country taking a day or two off to allow EVERYONE to spend time with their families and loved ones?  I will NOT be shopping on Thanksgiving... nor will I call for my schedule.  It can wait.


3. Speaking of shopping... I saw a recent article on the twelve best shopping cities in the world. In order they are-

New York, Tokyo, London, Kuala Lumpur, Paris, Hong Kong, Buenos Aires, Vienna, Dubai, Madrid, Milan, and Seoul. 

Ever shopped in any of the cities listed? In which city would you most like to pull out the plastic or cold hard cash?

I have shopped in New York, but haven't been to any of the other cities.  My husband has shopped in Dubai and brought home a gorgeous oriental rug!  I would love to visit any of those other cities, and yes, shopping would commence.  If I had to choose just one, though, I think I would choose either Madrid or Milan... I love the pottery I have seen from there!


4.  When did you last dine by candlelight?

I can't remember the last time... hmmm... I think I shall have to rectify that, pronto!  (Fun memory just came to mind, of every Thanksgiving at my grandmothers house, we would always have lit taper candles on the dining room table.  And after the meal us cousins would always have to take turns "snuffing" out the candles with my grandma's candle snuffer.  We would have to relight those candles a dozen times so we would all get equal turns!  As the eldest grandchild, I kindly requested the candle snuffer when my grandfather passed away and my grandmother moved into a senior living facility!)  :-)


5. What do you have too much of?

Opportunities to not be anxious about anything.  However, the upside of that is that I have equal opportunities to pray without ceasing, to give thanks, and to submit to God in everything.


6. The Hunger Games...are you a fan?  Did you read the book(s)?  Will you/have you seen the movie?  Will you/have you seen Catching Fire?  No spoilers please!

Yes - loved the books!  And I thought the first movie was really well done - and I've heard that the second is even better!  My teen son went and saw it the other day and said it was fantastic!  Hopefully my hubs and I will get to see it soon...


7. Share your plans for Thanksgiving Day. The who, the where, the what...especially the what! As in what's for dinner?  If you're one of my International visitors, whose homeland doesn't celebrate American Thanksgiving (the whole world doesn't ya know!), then still tell us your plans for Thursday. 

We are driving up today to the family beach house in Cayucos, CA where we will all gather with my hubs parents, brother/sis-in-law, sister/bro-in-law, and niece and nephews!  It is so rare that we are all together at one time - it will be fantastic!  We are even having family pictures taken on Saturday down on the beach!  Tomorrow (Thanksgiving Day) we will all drive into Fresno, where we will share Thanksgiving meal with ALL of the aunts/uncles/cousins - tons of new babies, spouses my husband has never met (he was deployed for the past family gatherings), the kids will get to reconnect with cousins they don't get to see hardly ever... it will be chaotic, but SO much fun!  And the food... oh, the food... I just gained 5 pounds thinking about it all! :-)


8.  Insert your own random thought here.






Last week my dad was in the hospital for what they originally thought was a stroke, but now turns out to be a heart condition.  Serious, but treatable.  And it's at times like these that I really am thankful that we live just an hour away, so I could go up and be at the doctor's appointment with them.  Transitioning into this role is hard, on many levels - seeing my parents need more help, understanding what the doctor is saying and what the options are, and making sure that my parents have all the legal documents in order that hopefully won't be needed, but have to be in place just in case (A DNR, living will, health care directive, etc.)  

But... I am thankful... that God has given me the experiences needed to  deal with these issues... for a husband who is relentlessly supportive and loving... and  for our technology today that can so quickly help us understand medical conditions and treatment options... and I'm thankful that my dad is still here!  






5 comments:

Joyce said...

The more the merrier at the holidays I think. Enjoy your big full table and family all around. Glad your dad can get the care he needs. It is difficult to see our parents age. Happy Thanksgiving!

Erika Mehlhaff said...

I am so happy you will be surrounded by so much family for Thanksgiving! Please tell Duane 'Happy Birthday' on Thursday, from me! ;D (*giggle*) Love you, my Friend!

-E

Nikki said...

I hope your dad is okay. You have such nice parents! Please say hi to them for me. Have a great Thanksgiving! -Nikki

kilipohi said...

I'm glad you agree about no opening stores on Thanksgiving and that your dad can be treated.

J.Day said...

OMG I am dying to see Catching Fire!! *squeal*