Welcome back to the Wednesday Hodgepodge! I love this break in the middle of the week... thank you so much for joining us here! After you're done reading through, feel free to hop on over to Joyce's blog, the originator of the Hodgepodge... it's great fun and I've met some really wonderful friends as a part of this little community!
1. In what ways do you indulge yourself?
Little ways... a glass of wine, a chocolate bar, a good book, a walk to the park... whatever the occasion is suited for!
2. Have you ever taken a cooking class? Any interest? What type of class would you most like to try?
No, I've never taken a cooking class, but I would love to! I'm not sure what type of class I would like to try - maybe how to grill perfectly every time? Nah, then my hubs might get upset. How about - do they offer a class that teaches you how to prepare appetizers, main course, side dishes, rolls, and desserts so that they all come out the temperature they are supposed to at the right time while the table is also perfectly set and the wine doesn't get too warm and the ice doesn't melt and...
3. What does it mean to be a good citizen?
To act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with God.
4. 'Tis the season of the political advert...do these ads influence your vote?
Nope. I'm somewhat of a cynic when it comes to political ads. There is always someone behind them who is promoting their agenda. Blech. Personally, I'm all for Big Bird. I can write him in, right?
5. What's something you see today that makes you wish you were a kid again?
Um , didn't you read my question above? Big Bird!!!
6. What's your least favorite cliche?
I know this is more of a Seinfeld-ism, but I think it has become so mainstream that I think it counts here. And that is, "Not that there's anything wrong with that" - because you know, sometimes, we have to take a stand and just say NO, this is WRONG and stand up for what we believe is right. (See my answer to #8)
7. What percentage of your Christmas shopping has been completed? How does that make you feel?
Well, if you mean actually purchased, then about 10% done. If you mean, do I already know what I'm going to get my mom, mother-in-law, and some of our extended family, then I'm 60% done. And given that we are moving the week of Christmas, being prepared makes me feel incredibly wonderful right now!
8. Insert your own random thought here.
So, about my answer to #6 up there. That whole "Not that there's anything wrong with that" deal...
Today my eldest (a freshman in high school) was getting ready for school, when I found one of his worksheets on the kitchen table. It was a word search, and when I asked him what it was for, he said it was extra credit for his geometry class. Now, I don't approve with word searches being used as extra credit, especially when it has nothing to do with geometry, but that was really beside the point when I looked closer at the word search. This word search was all about the occult. I'm. Not. Kidding. 30 different words that all were like : occult. physic network, tarot cards, clairvoyance, tea leaves, soothsayer, shaman, etc. In no way does this have any place in our public schools, and the fact that this is how he is expected to earn extra credit (in a class where he needs all the extra points he can get!) is disturbing to say the least.
I posted about this on Facebook and it turned into an interesting discussion on Church vs State. Which yes, I believe should be adhered to - I would have been just as upset if they were sending home crosswords with terms from any other religion or cult. We have to take a stand, for what is right, and we need to protect our children.
We can't just stand idly by and dismiss our concerns with "Not that there's anything wrong with that". I would rather risk offending someone than not stand up for what I believe in with all my heart and soul.
Thoughts? Discuss!
1. In what ways do you indulge yourself?
Little ways... a glass of wine, a chocolate bar, a good book, a walk to the park... whatever the occasion is suited for!
2. Have you ever taken a cooking class? Any interest? What type of class would you most like to try?
No, I've never taken a cooking class, but I would love to! I'm not sure what type of class I would like to try - maybe how to grill perfectly every time? Nah, then my hubs might get upset. How about - do they offer a class that teaches you how to prepare appetizers, main course, side dishes, rolls, and desserts so that they all come out the temperature they are supposed to at the right time while the table is also perfectly set and the wine doesn't get too warm and the ice doesn't melt and...
3. What does it mean to be a good citizen?
To act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with God.
4. 'Tis the season of the political advert...do these ads influence your vote?
Nope. I'm somewhat of a cynic when it comes to political ads. There is always someone behind them who is promoting their agenda. Blech. Personally, I'm all for Big Bird. I can write him in, right?
5. What's something you see today that makes you wish you were a kid again?
Um , didn't you read my question above? Big Bird!!!
6. What's your least favorite cliche?
I know this is more of a Seinfeld-ism, but I think it has become so mainstream that I think it counts here. And that is, "Not that there's anything wrong with that" - because you know, sometimes, we have to take a stand and just say NO, this is WRONG and stand up for what we believe is right. (See my answer to #8)
7. What percentage of your Christmas shopping has been completed? How does that make you feel?
Well, if you mean actually purchased, then about 10% done. If you mean, do I already know what I'm going to get my mom, mother-in-law, and some of our extended family, then I'm 60% done. And given that we are moving the week of Christmas, being prepared makes me feel incredibly wonderful right now!
8. Insert your own random thought here.
So, about my answer to #6 up there. That whole "Not that there's anything wrong with that" deal...
Today my eldest (a freshman in high school) was getting ready for school, when I found one of his worksheets on the kitchen table. It was a word search, and when I asked him what it was for, he said it was extra credit for his geometry class. Now, I don't approve with word searches being used as extra credit, especially when it has nothing to do with geometry, but that was really beside the point when I looked closer at the word search. This word search was all about the occult. I'm. Not. Kidding. 30 different words that all were like : occult. physic network, tarot cards, clairvoyance, tea leaves, soothsayer, shaman, etc. In no way does this have any place in our public schools, and the fact that this is how he is expected to earn extra credit (in a class where he needs all the extra points he can get!) is disturbing to say the least.
I posted about this on Facebook and it turned into an interesting discussion on Church vs State. Which yes, I believe should be adhered to - I would have been just as upset if they were sending home crosswords with terms from any other religion or cult. We have to take a stand, for what is right, and we need to protect our children.
We can't just stand idly by and dismiss our concerns with "Not that there's anything wrong with that". I would rather risk offending someone than not stand up for what I believe in with all my heart and soul.
Thoughts? Discuss!
10 comments:
I am a teacher, and I am appalled at this for quite a few reasons. First of all, all "credit" should be tied to a state education standard. Period. If it can't be tied to curriculum, then it shouldn't count. It actually has no place in the classroom. What a waste of time and resources (paper, copy toner, etc.). Regarding the actual content, oh my word! I would take that worksheet to the school and let the principal know. I can promise you that he/she is not aware of this. That school is VERY lucky that you aren't suing them. Wow.
If Big Bird ran things, there would probably not be word searches in our schools about the occult. Ya think? But seriously, the math teacher should have sent home a word search for extra credit with GEOMETRY vocabulary, for crying out loud!! Boring? Probably. Valuable learning tool? Arguable. Appropriate? Absolutely. I have been thinking about this and think I would have created my own word search with words from my particular religion, offered it to the teacher as an alternative for any students opposed to completing the former...along with the geometry vocabulary one...in hopes that somehow, common sense would prevail...
Hugs, my Friend...
I agree with you! And, I agree with your friend above to take the Word Search to the principal. I must say I'm not a big fan of Halloween in general, especially anything goulish and mean spirited. I suppose if anything about Halloween can be taught it should be it's history - and taught in church. (i.e. that it's the day before All Saints Day and it peopl dressed to scare off bad spirits.)
I agree with Erika...there's even a website that will do that for you: puzzlemaker. All you do is put in the words you want, and it will make it for you.
I would definitely say something to the principal. Completely inappropriate.
You're moving during Christmas break??? Gheeez, talk about stress! :)
Wine and a book! Why didn't I think of that?
Big Bird gets my vote!!!
I agree. The occult is definitely not an appropriate topic for any class.
As a teacher, I would appreciate a parent first coming to me if he or she disagreed with one of my assignment choices. Going over a teacher's head directly to a principal has happened to me and it feels terrible. Never knowing who complained to the principal made me suspect EVERY parent. Same thing happened to my daughter when she was teaching a different class. I would say the extra credit was stupid at best--come on, a wordsearch? Time waster! If your child needs extra credit, make it more practice of what he's struggling with, or if he's not struggling, make it a higher-level thinking question or problem to solve. The content is completely inappropriate and a sneaky way to introduce an agenda. But bottom line is (woops--cliche!) go first to the teacher w/ your objection and inform him or her that you will also be taking the matter to the principal. The principal needs to know and chances are you aren't the only parent outraged, or at least really concerned about this "extra credit" thing. (Although, good for you and glory to God that you discovered the wordsearch in the first place!
As a teacher, I would appreciate a parent first coming to me if he or she disagreed with one of my assignment choices. Going over a teacher's head directly to a principal has happened to me and it feels terrible. Never knowing who complained to the principal made me suspect EVERY parent. Same thing happened to my daughter when she was teaching a different class. I would say the extra credit was stupid at best--come on, a wordsearch? Time waster! If your child needs extra credit, make it more practice of what he's struggling with, or if he's not struggling, make it a higher-level thinking question or problem to solve. The content is completely inappropriate and a sneaky way to introduce an agenda. But bottom line is (woops--cliche!) go first to the teacher w/ your objection and inform him or her that you will also be taking the matter to the principal. The principal needs to know and chances are you aren't the only parent outraged, or at least really concerned about this "extra credit" thing. (Although, good for you and glory to God that you discovered the wordsearch in the first place!
Oh how I could rant here...first of all, content aside, what in the world is the point of a word search in Geometry??? Is the goal for your child to actually learn Geometry? Then how does completing a word search on the occult, or frankly any topic, meet that end? Even searching geometry terms doesn't really teach him anything about geometry. They're just words-not definitions.
Then of course there is the content. I would likely contact the teacher for an explanation before going to the principal...maybe send an email asking if she/he could shed light on the thinking behind the assignment. It's possible there was none and she just grabbed a 'time-filler' type of assignment without looking carefully. She needs to be called out on that too.
When my oldest was in a grade 10 US history course her instructor thought it was fine to take three days of class time and have the kids watch Michael Moore's Farenhiet 911. They were in the early days of Americas settling so I could not find even a thread of logic in this decision.
Her teacher was not a fan of America (not a secret...he was upfront about that) and I did contact him and ask him to please explain to me how taking 3 days of instruction time to view the film in any way tied in with the curriculum.
um. It didn't.
Parenting is so hard sometimes.
I agree with Joyce, parenting is so hard sometimes...and teachers like this one only make matters worse. This "extra credit" was the lazy way out for the teacher and the content was very inappropriate.
Wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog. I'm just getting caught up on some of my comments. I was so excited to see that you once lived in Flagstaff. it is hands down my favorite place on earth. If I could retire today I would move there tomorrow. I look forward to getting to know you and your blog a little better :)
Post a Comment