Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Never too Old to Hodgepodge!

Hello friends!  Today our kiddos all start school again!  sigh... as much as I'll miss the lazy days of summer, I think we are all ready for a bit more routine, and to have a break from each other! :-)  So, before I have to get them all out the door, let's Hodgepodge! :-)

1. Joyce included this quote (attributed to William H. Danforth) in her blog post yesterday... "The best cure for a sluggish mind is to disturb it's routine." When was the last time you 'disturbed your routine' and how'd you do it?

I've been trying to take different routes as I drive the kids around town - mixes things up a bit, and keeps me alert!  I've also started playing this cool game App on my phone called Flow - it's a spatial puzzle that, since I'm SO non-spatial, is excellent for tuning that side of my brain!  Alzheimers runs in my family, so I'm trying to stay ahead of it as much as possible.  :-)

2. What's your favorite fried food indulgence?

Mozarella sticks.  Yum.

3. Did you have an allowance as a kid? What did you do with it? Do you give your own kids an allowance?

No, I never had a set allowance - or much allowance at all.  During the summer, my kids have a chore chart that they do each week, and if they do their chores then they get allowance.  ($10 for the teen, $7 for the middle schooler, $5 for the 2nd grader)  They are pretty good about saving their money for something special - but it's also fun (for all of us!) if they want to go to the local ice cream shop, they spend their own money!

4. What's something you wish you knew more about?

Gardening.  Not high-maintenance plants... but just how to create a cutting garden that doesn't look decimated the minute I clip a bouquet, how to layer plants so they don't look overly manicured, etc.

5. Is there anything you feel too old to do anymore? If so, what?

Get up multiple times in the night... I honestly don't know how I did it when my babies were, well, babies.  Now if one of them gets up, or if we are pet-sitting and the pet jumps on my bed and disturbs my slumber, I feel like an absolute zombie for two days straight!  Good grief I'm a wus.  

6. What's a song you think has a great first line?

Oh so many good ones... but the first one that comes to mind is this one:


7. Who are you writing to/for when you create a blog post? In other words...as you write, who is the audience in your head?

I have a few loyal friends and family members who look for my blog every Wednesday, so I'm kinda writing for them... other times I'm just venting - as Meg Ryan said in "You've Got Mail" (one of my favorite movies, no matter how much my dear hubs mocks it) - "I'm sending this out to the void... so good night, dear void..."  :-)

8. Insert your own random thought here.

If today's hodgepodge seems choppy to you, it's because, well, I was unsuccessful in getting it done completely before the kiddos went to school - you know, couldn't find the Star Wars tennis shoes, had to go put on an undershirt because the chosen shirt was a bit revealing when she bent over, eldest missed his bus because it came 5 minutes early, then middle's bus never came... typical chaos to begin the first day of school!

But look at these sweet faces... the house is quiet now... eerily so, i must admit... but I'm praying for a good day for them!



11 comments:

Sara G. said...

I hear you about the garden...I keep telling Chris that I want an English Garden...he keeps asking me who is going to weed that English Garden...my response...uuuhhh, you...since that is outside work! :) Thus, no English Garden...yet. :)

Julie said...

I absolutely love Annie's Song! And now I've been inspired to have a 70's kinda day. I've pulled out the old John Denver's greatest hits album and got the record player fired up (and what the heck, might as well get some Olivia Newton John out while I'm at it)......this should make my kids want to go back to school ....lol :)

Joyce said...

I love the words to Annie's Song. Most of his songs had great lyrics.

Hope your kiddos have a happy first day!

jui said...

I can't believe it is already the first day of school! Love the pic of your kids. Big C has grown quite a lot!

Veronica and Daniel said...

Ohhh! I would love to know more about gardening too! Adding it to my list :)

Nani said...

I would love if my flower beds could be full all non-snow year long and very low maintenance!

Anonymous said...

Awww...your children are adorable!!

I am so with you on the getting up in the middle of the night thing. My youngest just left for college, but I've had to get up with the dog or get up with myself (being sick a few times), and it's hard!!! Yikes!

Alicia said...

Aww... Your kid are so cute and are getting so big! Enjoy the new quiet school days! I so enjoy reading your hodgepodge every week! :). Have a blessed week ahead... I hope everything goes smoother tomorrow. :)

Zoanna said...

The 'dear void' cracked me up. How true it is! I also would like to know how to create a good looking cutting garden that doesn't look decimated after cutting a bouquet. Seems a whole lot easier to just remind a certain tall fella that his wife really, REALLY likes flowers and they are right up near every register of the grocery store. That first day of school sounds STRESSFUL. OMW

Becky said...

Hope the first day was good for the kids and you. I used to love the first day of school. Now its jst another day... Anyway, I would love to do the gardening thing too but I have been a nurse too long and do not like dirt! I know I could get gloves, but...

Erika Mehlhaff said...

BTW, I need the photo of those cutie patooties from this particular first day of school Hodgepodge post!! Love!

E