I'm all bantered out... our church is doing VBS this week, on top of registering the kids for school (all three in different schools this year! Crazy!), trying to get doctors appointments and sports physicals done before school starts next week, and it's roughly a million degrees outside (ok, just 107... but who's counting?) Anyway... I'm pooped! So no witty banter... just on to the Hodgepodge! (And join inhere if you'd like to cash in on the fun!)
1. In an effort to combat obesity, the mayor of NYC has plans to ban the sale of large sugary drinks (anything over 16 oz.), initially in restaurants, movie theatres, and street carts. Corner stores would also be affected if they are defined as food service establishments. You can read more here . Your thoughts?
1. In an effort to combat obesity, the mayor of NYC has plans to ban the sale of large sugary drinks (anything over 16 oz.), initially in restaurants, movie theatres, and street carts. Corner stores would also be affected if they are defined as food service establishments. You can read more here . Your thoughts?
I think this is definitely a case of "big brother" coming in and not really addressing the problem - not educating the public, but rather eliminating just one part of the problem. I mean, for pete's sake, the Starbucks Grande is 16 oz - and that's not their biggest size!
2. Art festival, music festival, food festival...which would you most like to attend?
Art - though it is always fascinating to me to see what people consider "art", I've also gotten some really unique items that I love at local art festivals!
3. What are you irrational about?
Anyone insulting my kids, or how/where we choose to live. Especially from people who don't HAVE children, and haven't ever lived anywhere but the town they were born in. Enough said. (wow, didn't think that question was going to hit a tender spot, but I guess it did! You just never know, Joyce!)
4. Do you feel confident you'll have a comfortable retirement?
Hmmm... right now we are completely changing careers at the age of 40, with three kids, one of whom will be in college in 4 years, and the state we are moving to has a 60% increase in living costs compared to where we live now... so hmmm... yeah, right now retirement isn't the primary focus! Just existence! :-) We have been saving for retirement for several years now, and now that we are getting out of the military (without retirement benefits) we will have to save more - but that will come with time. We are definitely dedicated to it, though.
5. What's been your favorite Olympic moment so far?
(Not ever, just in the 2012 Summer games)
THIS ONE, right here... simply. Awesome.
6. What would you label as the messiest room in your house?
That varies depending on the day, but normally it's our kitchen table - it is the main gathering place for everything in our home... purse, mail, groceries, kids' backpacks, right now as I glance over at it there are even three sets of flight gear headphones, a flight bomber jacket, craft glue, scrapbook paper, crayons, a bag of my husbands' flight patches, and stinky socks from my teenager. Can you tell that our church has VBS going on this week? Good grief... I really need to clean that off so we can, you know, EAT AT OUR TABLE!!!
7. Do you follow your heart or your head?
Definitely my heart.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
After 4 months of pain, two MRIs, xrays, and two months of physical therapy, we finally have determined that I do indeed have a torn labram in my left hip, that can only be cured with surgery. Not hip replacement or anything like that - which is good - but it will still mean months of crutches, therapy, and trying to take it easy while managing my busy household of 3 kids (during marching band and soccer season), living in a two story house, and getting us ready to move in December! Oymylanta... BUT... the good news is that once the surgery is done and I am completely recovered, I shouldn't have any lasting effects from it... I just need to allow myself to heal. And realize that I'm not 16 anymore, like I was when I had my last knee surgery... So, surgery is scheduled for the first part of September... send me your reading and movie lists now, 'cuz I'll be stocking up! :-)
12 comments:
Hope VBS is going well! :) And that you get lots and lots of rest in September. *hugs*
Loved that olympic moment too! Happy Wednesday!
The description of your kitchen table makes me sad (a little). My kids are grown and I miss those days of all their projects being all over. Enjoy every single minute of it! :)
Great moment!!
I will try to send you some book titles...what do you like to read? I just read Shadow Divers which is non-fiction and not normally my genre but it was really good. It's about two divers who find a German sub off the coast of NJ and their efforts to identify it.
Good luck with your surgery.
You are witty even when you declare otherwise. I can identify with your kitchen table and there is no vbs going on here. Wow, the recovery sounds challenging bur worth it. Our son had a shoulder labral tear-- which i embarrassed myself by calling a labial tear in front of a male nurse practioner friend. It has made him able to stand straight and pur shirts on without pain.i pray a quick healing and much grace for u.
I hadn't heard of that Olympic moment. It is definitely a winner.
I just finished Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman and I loved it. If you liked The Help, you would enjoy this read. Def. touches on my favorite emotion, laughter through tears. Hope your surgery goes well and your healing possess moves quickly.
Wow thats a great Olympic moment right there! Can't believe i missed that one.
I hope the surgery will go through smoothly, i'll be praying for you!
My kitchen is messy too! Not dishes though, we always wash the dishes! Anyway it's mostly old mail, bills and some projects my niece and nephew left for us.
Oh and my cat likes sitting on the kitchen table, i know.. not sanitary at all. ;o
Your answer to #2 reminded me of a survey that I participated in at an art museum in Boston a few years ago. I think the question that brought up the biggest discussion was, "Would you ever consider a potato peeler a work of art?"
Thank you for sharing the link to Usain Bolt's picture. I'd heard that he did this, but I've been so busy lately that I haven't been able to follow up. I haven't admired him much because of his lack of humbleness, but after finding a video of this on YouTube, I saw a different side of him.
Good luck with your surgery. Do take the doctor's advice and give yourself plenty of time to heal. Better to have permanent healing than continued trouble afterward!
I am so with you on #3! I actually had a mom of a six month old baby give me tips for dealing with a 14 year old once!
Post a Comment