It's that time again - oh what fun the Hodgepodge is! If you would like to join in the fun, check out Joyce's page here and see what others are doing with her Hodgepodge! So fun!
1. Aloha! On August 21, 1959 Hawaii officially became a US state. Have you ever been? Upon arrival would you prefer an orchid or a hibiscus to tuck behind your ear?
We went to Hawaii for the first time just last year, after my DH came home from Afghanistan. You can read about it here. It was simply, amazing. Upon arrival to our resort, we received beautiful leis made of orchids. Gorgeous. I love all tropical flowers, really. Check out these flowers that were ALL over the resort - the smelled divine too! Sigh...
2. Since we're talking tropical...what's your favorite food or beverage made with pineapple?
Pina coladas of course! Yum!!
3. Do you believe in soul mates? Explain.
I don't know if I believe that there is truly just one person in the world who is your "soul mate" - if you know what I mean. I do think that there are some people who you find you can bond with quickly, that you just understand inherently, and they "get" you. Just as there are others that I look at in puzzlement and shake my head and say "I just don't get them..." that's ok - we're all different. That's what makes this world so interesting!
4. Share a memory about the house you grew up in.
We had a big back yard (well, big for Los Angeles... now that I have lived around the country and seen houses with acres and acres of land... I realize it wasn't really that big... but I digress) Anyway - in our backyard we had sycamore trees and a little playhouse that my dad and grandfather built for me. It was my favorite place to read, play pretend with my dolls, and just relax with my faithful black labrador, Molly. The smell of the leaves, the warmth of the sun... I loved it.
5. Are you comfortable with silence?
It depends on the situation. There is definitely a time and a place for quiet, for introspection. In general, though, I must admit that I enjoy having at least music on while I'm at home and in the car. I can NOT stand an angry silence though... I have to leave the room and calm down until the other person is ready to talk it out...
6. You spot a giant spider on your bedroom wall...what's your next move? (all spiders are giant, right?)
The other night we were having a s'mores fest with the kiddos by our firepit in the backyard. It was wonderful. And then, I looked up and saw a GINORMOUS SPIDER WEB stretching from the roof of our deck all the way up to MY UPSTAIRS BEDROOM WINDOW! This thing was HUGE! *Full Body Shudder inserted here* So I went upstairs, opened up my window, and took the thing down with a broom. It was so big, and so thick, I actually took me almost 5 minutes to get it all! EWWWWW!!!!! So yeah - if I saw said spider on my bedroom wall, it would have to be destroyed. Immediately. Sorry to all your Charlottes Web fans... no spider has ever greeted me with "salutations" or left cute messages to me in their web. They bite.
7. My idea of fun does NOT include ______________.
Spam. Liver. Surgery. Fighting. Documentaries on the periodic table of elements. Colonoscopy. Mammograms. The "other" womanly visit we get to do every couple of years. Saying goodbye to someone you love. Watching Barney or the Teletubbies. Justin Beiber. The "Call you Maybe" song (which is forbidden around my house because, ohmygosh, it's like nails on a chalkboard people... can you tell I have teens and pre-teens? Ugh) Sponge Bob Squarepants. The creepy guy from CSI Miami. That's all for now...
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Two things: My amazing mother-in-law was here for a 3 days, to help me prepare for my upcoming surgery. She has had her own share of major health issues this past year, and was concerned that she may not be able to help like she wanted to. But she did it, and I am so proud of her! She made the drive up from Salt Lake City, a 4 1/2 hour trip without any issues, and we got SO much done while she was here! I will be on crutches for a month, so we made a lot of meals to put in the freezer to have on hand. Truly,. Awesome. Thank you, mom, for coming up to help me! She will be coming back for my surgery - what an amazing woman.
On that note - I'm (obviously) trying to get prepared for this surgery and am putting the call out - if you have any good book recommendations, I'd love to hear them! I enjoy all kinds of literature, and even things that might not necessarily be considered literature! (!) I enjoy good series too... so bring them on! Apparently I'll be not moving a whole lot for about two weeks, and then pretty limited after that for a while.
10 comments:
Great list for #7, although I must say I kind of like the song, especially when my 2 yo granddaughter sings it. So cute!
Prayers for your upcoming surgery. Does not sound like fun, but hopefully you will be able to slow down, read, and be on the receiving end of help. So hard sometimes!
ALOHA!!
You know I've got your back on the prayers, my Friend! You're gonna blow that surgery outta the water--and tell those kiddos Auntie Erika is gonna show up with her Ugly on if they aren't extra kind and helpful to you AND each other during your recovery...and EVERY other time, too...and they really, REALLY do NOT want to see my Ugly...it's not cute...
;-)
Love you,
Erika
How nice to have some help! I'll be keeping you in my prayers...have you ever read The Mitford Series by Jan Karon? They're not new but they're sweet, well written stories. They should be read in order (At Home in Mitford is first)
Some books I've really liked that are a little heavier and not new, but good-
The Thirteenth Tale-Diane Setterfield
The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell
The House at Riverton by Kate Morton
Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
Good luck with your surgery! How wonderful that you have such a great relationship with your mother-in-law. It's great to have that kind of support.
My favorite book this year so far: "The Book Thief". I think you will enjoy it, learn something at the same time, and perhaps forget about your surgery/healing time. Good luck with it!
I may remember Molly, when was she around? I remember your parents having that retriever (dont remember her name) for a long time before Kona. :) I miss my Arcadia house too, we had a swing set then later we changed it into a rabbit hutch. Hope you're having a fun summer, well almost fall now.
You will definately be in my prayers - before and after surgery!
As for book recommendations - Here are a few that I've read recently:
War Brides by Helen Bryan
The Charm School by Nelson DeMille
One Day by David Nicholls (if you saw the movie with Anne Hathaway, just know that the book is much better)
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig
These books range A LOT in their genre and writing style, but I have really enjoyed reading all of them.
I'm currently reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - I'm not exactly sure what I think of it yet - but it is definately gripping!
I hope you find some good reads while you are recovering - pass along your favorites when you have a chance!
Hugs to you, my friend!
Creepy guy from CSI Miami --- HAHAHA!!! I totally agree!
Bahaha! I love your "not fun" list! This is my first time visiting your blog so I have no idea if you have read them but I enjoyed the Hunger Games series. (well, the 3rd book was a bit of a disappointment to me, but they are good reads - quick reads!) And I love any book by Sarah Sundin - she writes historical fiction. Good luck with your surgery!
I have to say you are my hero! I would definately made my hubby get that web cause God forbid there was one creepy crawly spider in it!
As for books can't go wrong with Terri Blackstock the New point series is good. As all all of hers actually!
Post a Comment