Tuesday, November 8, 2011

It's a Lovely Day in the Hodgepodge...

Yea!  It's Wednesday Hodgepodge Time!  If you have stopped by, please leave a comment at the end (you have no idea how it brings a smile to my face!)  and then join Joyce over at her page to see her original comments!  (And a tip of the hat to Joyce for doing this every week - it really is fun!)




1. Of all the tools and gadgets you own which do you most enjoy using?

Oh gosh... My kitchen is the "Land of all fun gadgets" according to my MIL... I would have to say probably my Keurig - though it's not really a tool or gadget, more of an appliance... but it allows me to have my flavored coffee within 2 minutes, and my husband to have his regular black coffee as well, so we are all happy!


2. When (if ever) is impatience a virtue?

When it comes to making sure you or a loved one is receiving the kind of medical care that they need.

3. What temperature do you keep your thermostat set to in winter? Do you have another way to heat your house besides a furnace of some type?

We generally set it around 69 degrees.  We don't really have another way to heat our house, as we have a very small fireplace that is located in the smallest room in our downstairs, and really only heats about 5 feet out and then quits.  We do have tons of comfy soft blankets over all of our couches though, which are perfect for snuggling under!

4. Do/did you have a close relationship with any of your grandparents?

Yes, I was very close with my grandfather and with both of my grandmothers.  My daughter is named after my grandmother, who passed away from Alzheimers when I was 16.  I have one grandmother who is still with us - in fact today is her 94th birthday!  I love her dearly and can't wait to see her after the new year!

Happy Birthday Granny!!



5. When did you last have a family portrait taken?

When my DH was in Afghanistan I took the kids to a local park and a good friend (who also happens to be a professional photographer) met us there and took pictures to send him for Fathers Day...



But then here is our latest family photo, taken when he came home!  :-)



6. What does the word patriotism mean to you?

It means a pride in something much greater than yourself, being willing to set yourself aside for the greater good, and sacrifice when asked to... See the above picture!

7. Do you like to play cards and if so, what's your favorite card game?

I love to play cards!  Our kids do too, which is really fun!  But when I married into my husband's family (actually, it might have been a prerequisite for marrying into his family!)  I learned the game of pinochle.  And now I'm one of the strongest advocates for it!  We even played it with my brother-in-law and sister-in-law when we were in Hawaii two weeks ago!  (And my bro-in-law and I WON!!!!!)

8. Insert your own random thought here.

I just emailed a link to this song to my daughter's 4th grade teacher, because they are learning about this right now. So I thought I'd share it with you... but I'm warning you, you'll be singing it for the rest of the day!  You're welcome!  :-)



10 comments:

Conny said...

I want a Keurig soooooooo much!! You're adding to my case in favor of why I should get one!!! :)

Love your definition of patriotism!!

Jocelyn said...

love the pic with your grandmother! A very happy birthday to her!! And love the family portraits! ahhhh veggietales! been hooked on them lately - esp the belly button song and cheeseburger... and now this! hahaha!

Happy Hodgepodge Day! :) I love these too!! =D

Joyce said...

Happy Birthday to your grandma! I've never played pinnocle. I know that last family photo makes you smile : )

Susan said...

Today is my grandma's birthday too. She would have been 97. I miss her! I was blessed to have her into my adulthood though, and to have my children know her too. And thanks for sharing the VeggieTales - I think. :)

Julie said...

Schoolhouse Polka Rocks!! :)

Krista said...

There is a Keurig machine in my husbands office and he loves it and I keep thinking about getting one. Love the veggietale song!

Jamie French said...

Miss you! Thanks for sharing, my friend! :)

Nikki said...

wow 94!! Happy birthday to your granny! ;) Anyways is she your moms mom or dads?

Traci Reid said...

While pinochle was not an official prerequisite for marriage, I have to tell you that the fact that Scott didn't play -- and wasn't likely to learn - was definitely in the CON list when evaluating is potential as a husband! However...now it seems to have worked out well, because the four of us like to play, so we don't have to have to leave anyone out who doesn't want to be left out!

Amy said...

Sorry it has taken me so long to get over here.. I wanted to Thank your husband for his wonderful Service he does to keep us all safe.. Love that dress..
I see we both love our Keurig.. It rocks.. Happy Monday..