Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Whale Underwear

You know, sometimes you have to just stop in the middle of the chaos and laugh... or cry... depending on the hormone levels of the day. But mostly, laughter is key... because I'm starting to realize that the years pass by WAY too quickly and all the things you think you won't ever forget, you do, because even though they are precious and hilarious, somehow the daily grind of grocery lists, sports schedules, meetings, carpools, and laundry... it all gets muddled together and the truly priceless things get smooshed down and forgotten.

So, I'm trying to do better.

Trying to remember the cute little sayings, and at the very least, putting them in an email or this blog so they will be archived forever in internet prosperity. But I also have a Mommy Journal - I"ve been writing letters in it to my kiddos since Caleb was two - and in the back I have written down many of the precious sayings, also known as blackmail during dating years.

But I digress...

My three young children have, for the most part, been raised in the south. Now, for an LA girl whose only exposure to the south was through Mark Twain novels, this has been somewhat of an adjustment for me, not the least of which has been the twang that prevails down here. But y'all (Yes, I said it) - I'm a firm believer that it's just not fun if you can't make fun of the quirks that make the south, well, the south!

For example...

Last week Colin and I were in Barnes and Noble to get Starbucks, I mean, look at books. While we were in line, I asked Colin if he was ready to go. "Waaiiilll, I don't know" he replied. I looked at him and said, "Whale? Are you a whale? There aren't any whales here!" He cracked up... I cracked up... the cashier looked at us kinda funny, until I explained I was from California ("Ah, that explains a LOT!" he must have thought)... and now it's a personal joke between us. In the middle of nowhere Colin will pipe up, Hey Mommy,. WHALE! And we'll both laugh... 'cuz it's the little things, I'm telling you.

And then this afternoon, we stopped by the house for a total of ten minutes in between activities. During that time, Colin took off his jacket, shoes, socks, and changed clothes.

Obviously he's been taking notes from his sister, who can change outfits five times in 90 seconds.

But again, I digress.

So, when I - not quite in the "aww isn't that cute" mood - more like "SERIOUSLY?????" mood... said asked him, "WHERE are your socks and shoes?" and he responded, "Under there" I, not thinking of course, said, "Under where?" To which he promptly cracked up, rolling on the floor in uncontrollable 4-year-old belly laughs. When I looked at him strangely, he said "Mom, you said UNDERWEAR!"

Obviously he has also been around the jr.high humor that is oh-so-popular with the local 10-year-old and pervades most fighter pilots in this family not that I'm naming any names, Caleb and Duane.

But, I'll admit I laughed. 'Cuz you're only 4 once... WHALE UNDERWEAR!

No comments: