Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Sharks, Firemen, and Fruity soap... random thoughts

So, I'm having one of those mornings. One of those where every thought of mine is interrupted by my 4-year-old's voice constantly at my side saying "OK Mommy, you pretend to be the hammerhead shark and I'll be the diver like Aunt Traci and you try to get me and I'll say Stop and you'll swim away and mommy why does God let sharks swim like that and Mommy do sharks go in rocket ships and mommy is God bigger than anything even sharks and rocket ships and does God want firemen to save people and what if a shark AND a fireman were in a burning building which would God want you to save first and..."

Sigh...

And yes, I'm trying to remind myself that before I know it he will be moody and secretive and won't want to tell me anything much less all of the little thoughts that are going through his mind.

But still...

And while I'm on the subject (?) of random thoughts... WHY are there no normal smelling kid soaps and shampoos?

Seriously!

Last night Clarissa and Colin both took baths. Clarissa had her Hello Kitty shampoo, Colin had Suave for kids.

When they both came out for me to brush their hair, I was literally swept in waves of nausea from the sweet fruit-basket-gone-bad stench! Strawberry/banana/watermelon/mango... Why on earth is it necessary to have their shampoo smell so fruity sweet? Does it have something to do with the "no tears" stuff? Does it automatically make it smell sickenly sweet? I don't think so, becuase honestly, my favorite baby shampoo is Paul Mitchell's Baby Don't Cry - which yes, doesn't smell horrid, has a nice chamomile/earthy scent, but also costs an arm and a leg in comparison.

At least Caleb has graduated into "real" shampoo - good 'ol manly stuff, just like his Dad's. Now if only I could get him to use it on a regular basis...

Anyway - I'm rambling... and yes, again, I know that before I know it my little ones will have all graduated beyond the cutesy shampoo stage and I'll be having to REMIND them that showers are our friends and soap is not evil...

So maybe I'll stop, if just for a moment, and take a deep breath... snuggle with my kiddos... treasure the nonstop questions that come from my little one's ramblings... and shrug off the waves of fruity shampoo-induced nausea if only to savor these moments that are just as sweet... and pass all too quickly...

5 comments:

Jamie said...

You are cracking me up today!!

In the theme of random thoughts...
Clarissa would fit in very well in my neck the woods-- Hello Kitty seems to be very popular here! :)

As far as shampoo goes, my all time favorite is good 'ole Johnson's baby shampoo. When I smell Will and Sadie's hair after bathtime it reminds me of when they were newborns!

Thanks for the fun, new posts!

Holly said...

Hi, Sally! It looks like I have many things to look forward to - I can picture myself in the future standing in the supermarket isle opening kid shampoo bottles and smelling them...I blame you! Too funny.

Unknown said...

Go for the Paul Mitchell, my friend, Go for the Paul Mitchell! :-)

Vicki Blake said...

Too funny. I to agree with the shampoo smell. But for us we pick it mostly for what cute animal is on the bottle. Any cute animals on the Paul Mitchell bottle? Probably too classy?

Anonymous said...

Nah, very sophisticated looking - white bottle, black writing, it does sometimes have a cute yellow ducky outline on the front!