Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Field Trips and Anniversaries!



1. I've read several posts and status updates recently describing end of year school field trips. Do you remember taking school field trips as a kid? Where did you go and do you recall a favorite? For any parents responding today, have you ever chaperoned a school field trip, and if so where?

Oh yes, I remember my very first field trip - I was in the First Grade, and we were going to the Los Angeles Zoo.  We spent weeks learning a song "I'm going to the zoo-oo, how about you-oo" and we were so excited! Then on the day of our field trip, our teacher was sick!  We still went, but I remember feeling so sad for her that she missed the zoo and singing our song together.  As a parent I've gone on every field trip I can with our kids, and they are all SO much fun!  I've been to zoos, museums,

2. What's something you're tired of seeing online?

Ads for "The 5 foods that will make you fat" and such... I mean really... good grief.

3. June is the month for roses. Which of the following expressions would you say has most recently applied to your life-'everything's coming up roses', 'there's no rose without a thorn', 'came out smelling like a rose', or 'wearing rose-colored glasses'? 

Hmm - I've got to say "Everything's coming up roses" - not that everything is perfect by any means, but the past few days have seen some major breakthroughs - God closing some doors, my heart being softened where it was growing hard, and assurances, unexpected provisions, and blessings in small but significant ways.


4. When grilling outdoors do you prefer gas or charcoal? Who does the grilling at your house? What's the last thing you ate that was cooked on a grill?

Oh, I know that the purists say there isn't anything better than charcoal grill... and I agree... but for time's sake, I prefer gas!  My husband, my teenager, and I all do the grilling at our house, and the last thing I ate that was cooked on a grill was a hot dog!  They really do taste SO much better cooked on a grill or over a flame (which we did last night over the fire pit!)


5. Are you afraid of the dark?

I don't know if I'm afraid, per say... but if I'm walking into our church stockroom and it's dark, I flip on the lights for a minute before I walk in, so that any creepy crawlies that may be in there can take cover.  *shudder*  And I'll admit too, that when my hubs is gone, I don't sleep as well because I hear EVERY SINGLE BLESSED NOISE... So I guess it's not really the dark I'm afraid of, but rather rats, mice, and squeaky doors letting in burglars.



6. Share a favorite song with a number in it's title.

This one: 1.,2,3,4 by the Plain White T's - such a sweet, fun song!






7. "Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves."(C.G. Jung). Do you agree? Why or why not?

Well yes, I think that that which irritates us will show us what we value, and what people we feel are worthy of our time and attention.


8.  Insert your own random thought here...


20 years ago today this 21-year-old took her father's arm and walked down the aisle - her father  was so nervous he was practically jogging, and I had to whisper "Dad, please slow down, I only get to do this once!" As I walked down the aisle to marry my DH.  (Stands for Dear Husband, but also conveniently, his name - Duane Henry!)  20 years... wow... we have lived in 6 states, 10 homes, 3 children, 3 jobs, 3 deployments... and the adventure continues!  (And yes, in looking back at our photos, I think we were about 10 when we got married... because there is NO WAY that our oldest son is just two years younger than we were when we first met... No. Way.)  But through the roller coaster that has been these last 20 years together, the unexpected twists and turns, the tears and the laughter, the joys and frustrations... I wouldn't change a thing.  I would still walk down that aisle and take the arm of my beloved, who (according to my friend Christa) almost fell backwards when he first saw me in my wedding gown walking towards him! I love you babe... ich liebe dich, con todo mi corazon, forever!


June 4, 1994



20 years later!   

(And a quick P.S., having just read Joyce's blog, who amazingly hosts this Hodgepodge this week, and is going through wedding plans with her own daughter... I would STILL choose my wedding dress... it was one of the first ones I tried on, it just "felt" like me, with braided pearls and a princess neckline, so simple and yet elegant... I absolutely loved it.  Still do!  Of course I will never ever ever ever fit into it again... but that, like so many things, is ok.) :-)

10 comments:

Denise said...

Happy Anniversary, wishing you many more. So glad that God has been blessing you recently. I enjoyed your field trip song, very cute.

retired not tired said...

Happy Anniversary!

A Joyful Chaos said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Zoanna said...

What a beautiful bride in a perfect-for-you gown! Happy 20th! I liked. Your simple answer to the irritation question, and the distiction you make that it's not the dark you're afraid of, per se, but what could be lurking IN the dark. Me too? bwock, bwock!

Mary said...

Love that song!!! How can you not feel happy after hearing it?
Happy Anniversary! Funny about you having to tell your dad to slow down!

WW said...

Happy Anniversary!!! I hope it's a good one.

Linda H. said...

Nice video. I always liked that song.

Happy anniversary to you!

Erika Mehlhaff said...

3 Things: 1. So happy about #3! Positivity!! 2. I totally agree with you about #5! Creepy crawly critters and burglars are so awful!! 3. Happy Anniversary to you and Duane, two of the most loving and loveable people I know!! Love you guys!!!

Love,
E

Joyce said...

I'm late this week as I've been traveling, but Happy Anniversary! It lasts all year, right : ) We celebrate #30 on Monday. I'm glad you're seeing some sunshine in your life in recent days!

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary! Hope you two had a great day together remembering special moments in the past and looking forward to what the future holds for you both!

I love the taste of charcoal grills as well, especially with grass-fed beef! YUM! Happy Summer!