Tuesday, October 8, 2013

A wickedly fun Hodgepodge!

Oh yay, Oh yay, for Hodgepodge day!  Thanks to Joyce for sending these questions our way!
Lets read, lets laugh, lets not delay...
After all, it's Wednesday, it's Hodgepodge Day!

1. The USA will mark Columbus Day this year on Monday, October 14th. What's something you need or want to explore (literally or metaphorically speaking)?

My sis-in-law and I were just talking tonight about exploring the world's snorkeling sites.  Since last week we were in Maui with the most amazing snorkeling (and my hip felt GREAT, which was surely from the warm healing waters of Hawaii) I think it's destiny that I spend as much time as possible in warm water swimming with the fishes!  My health depends on it!  Hehehe...


Unfortunately my budget doesn't support such adventures... yet... ;-)

2. The Wicked Witch of the West from The Wizard of Oz, Ursula from The Little Mermaid, or Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty...who do you most love to hate?

Ever since I saw Wicked I have had nothing but sympathy for the Wicked Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz... 


(Speaking of which... BEST song ever from Wicked... kind of want it sung at my funeral... a long time from now... just sayin...)



3. Is open-mindedness a virtue?

No, I truly believe open-mindedness is something that must be taught and encouraged... mainly because I see how quickly people are influenced to be otherwise.


However, i do get tired of our society impressing on everyone to be SO "open-minded" that to think opposite of them is viewed as negative, rather than just being different.  Hmmm, sounds like that would be considered being open minded! Ha!

4. How often do you weigh yourself?

If you're talking about physically weighing yourself on the scale, not very often - every couple of months or so.  Since I had an eating disorder in college, I'm cautious about making the number on the scale what I focus on.


however, I do find that I struggle not to mentally "weigh" myself daily against everyone around me - especially living where I do, in a beach town of southern California, where appearances seem to matter more than they should in every way possible... I tell myself I shouldn't, but it's kind of hard sometimes when everyone is a size 2 driving shiny BMWs... just sayin... it takes the strength of Daniel to overcome.

5. This question comes to you courtesy of Rebecca over at Making Memories, so thanks Rebecca!

Costa Rica was recently named the happiest country in the world on the Happy Planet Index. What's the happiest country in the world to you, and what makes it so?


I've not been to too many other countries, but of the ones I have visited, I would say Guatemala - I'll never forget getting caught in a monsoon in the middle of the rain forest.  The kids we were camping with were up this huge hill, safely in a bus.  We were stuck at the bottom of this mud hill, rain pouring down, lighting and thunder, the works.  So we took shelter in a chicken coop.  Let me repeat... A CHICKEN COOP.  (Made of aluminum.  In a lightning storm.)   And, in our smelly misery, we suddenly heard singing.  No, not the angels coming for us (like I initially thought), it was the kids!  In the bus! Singing!  To be happy, in such misery... what a life lesson!


6. Besides The Bible, what is one book you think should be mandatory reading for high school students? Why?

Oh geez... so many to choose from!  I loved Number the Stars by Lois Lowry, Son of Hamas by Mosab Hassan Yousef (especially given our current situation in the middle east... enlightening!)


7. I went shopping at some nearby outlets last week, and while I was there, I picked up a couple of Christmas gifts. How about you? Have you started your holiday shopping yet?

Oh my goodness - I was just in Target and thought to myself that I was NOT ready for there to be so many Christmas decorations up yet!  I haven't started my holiday shopping yet - ok, I admit I picked up one small thing in the Target clearance section as a stocking stuffer... but I haven't really thought about it much.  


8.  Insert your own random thought here.


Ok, question for debate here - and my son is eagerly awaiting your opinion...

Today he called me from school  very upset.  (he's a sophomore in high school)   Apparently he was doing an in-class assignment for world history, and at the end he was given a personal opinion question to complete.  The student sitting next to him answered the same thing that he did... so the teacher assumed that they were cheating and gave them both Fs on the assignments.  My son did not cheat - he answered the question with resources that can be verified, the other student can not verify his statements.  My question - how does my son confront his teacher to get his grade rectified?  I want him to try and talk with the teacher first before we go talk with the administration... but I don't want him to carry an undeserved F on his grade either... advice please!  Thank you friends!!










6 comments:

Nikki said...

oh no! thats awful and unfair ;( Hopefully they can sort the issue out. I remember in english class i had looked at my neighbors paper to see if she had the same answers ( it was a group assignment) The teacher didn't like i had the other students paper on my desk & she totally misjudged. The next day she had a period long lecture about plagiarism. (sigh) I just wanted to hide in a hole the rest of the day.

Barbara said...

I'm in agreement with you that your son needs to have a private conversation with his teacher. He needs to stick up for himself as calmly and reasonably as possible (easier said than done). This is a life lesson in dealing with difficult people and circumstances that can serve him well in the future.

Marla said...

Yes, your son should first talk privately with the teacher about the answer and the unfair reason for an F. If the teacher is unable to listen & understand, then I, as a parent, would meet after school with the teacher. If still no luck, then I would go to the school's principal. Tell him good luck!!

Mary said...

Surely if your son goes to the teacher being able to back up his answer, that grade will get changed. If not, he needs to move on up to the principal; or you may need to get involved. I'm a firm believer that the kids need to learn to stick up for themselves, but sometimes it takes the influence of the parent!

retired not tired said...

I think your son should show the teacher his resources and the teacher should ask the other child for his. Don't be afraid to go to the administration on your son's behalf.

Joyce said...

I always say go to the teacher first, but if that isn't satisfactory move on up the food chain. If he can produce resources he should get the credit. Good luck!