So hey - it's Joyce's birthday today!!! Who is Joyce? Simply the lovely lady who makes this weekly Hodgepodge possible! So after you've let me know that you stopped by, please hop on over to her page to say Happy Birthday! :-)
1. When did you last sing happy birthday to someone? When were you last sung to? Does that embarrass you or do you enjoy being the center of attention on your special day?
I went on a women's retreat this last weekend and one of the ladies there was also celebrating her birthday! (Happy Birthday Pat!) So of course we duly embarrassed her and sang to her, very loudly! And yes, I was sung to on my 40th birthday last March - and I love it! I actually love being the center of attention on my special day, and I don't feel complete unless I've been sung to and have blown a candle out. I don't know why, just bring me a cupcake with a candle and I'm a happy lady!
There was a sweet older couple from our church in North Carolina who, because of health issues, couldn't do much with the church family, so they decided their "service" was going to be to call every single person in the church, young and old, on their birthdays and sing them Happy Birthday. It was absolutely the sweetest thing... and I'll admit, I miss hearing their sweet voices on the other end of the phone on my birthday.
2. Name a famous or 'infamous' person (living or deceased) who shares your birth day and month. Is that someone you'd like to meet in person if it were possible?
Momofuku Ando. Who is that, besides someone with a somewhat unfortunate name? He was the inventor of instant noodle soup. Born on March 5, 1910. Think about it... without his invention, college students around the world would surely be starving to death... I'm just sayin. Of course, he did die of heart failure... so perhaps a steady diet of instant noodle soup is not a recommended way to go... hmmm... not a huge desire to meet him honestly... nothing personal, Momofuku!
3. Someone hands you a box tied up in a lovely bow...what are you hoping to find inside?
I don't really care... I just love getting gifts that have been carefully thought out! A framed picture, tickets to an awesome show or concert, a pretty piece of jewelry, a book, a figurine, keys to a paid-for car... whatever! :-)
4. What can you guarantee about yourself?
I believe with all my heart, soul, and mind, that God is good... that God is faithful... and God is GOD, no matter what!
Aside from that, I can also make awesome brownies, will bring you dinner if you aren't feeling well, will sing along to any song anywhere, and I love to teach God's word to children!
5. Talking art and beautiful cities here...'The Last Supper' in the Santa Maria della Grazie Abbey in Milan Italy or 'The Mona Lisa' in The Louvre, Paris...which would you most like to see up close and in person? Why?
I'd love to see the Mona Lisa - mainly because of DaVinci's quote in which he said "She had many secrets, I merely painted one of them!" So intriguing!
6. Your favorite dessert?
Lemon Raspberry Cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory, with a cup of strong coffee please!
(But if I'm in Gulf Shores, Pensacola, I've got to go with the Key Lime Pie at Flounders Restaurant... yum!)
7. This coming weekend marks the official start of autumn (in the Northern hemisphere)...what is something you do to get ready for fall? What is one thing you're looking forward to on your fall calendar? Spring or fall-which do you prefer?
I love fall - the crispness in the air, changing leaf colors, pumpkin everything.. yum! (Of course, now we live on the beach in southern California... fall may be a bit different here... but STILL!) I'm looking forward to taking the family apple picking up in Oak Glenn, where my parents used to take my brother and I. My husband may scoff, country boy that he is... but oh well, we'll have fun! :-) I will admit, though, that I enjoy spring more because I am SO ready for flowers and greenery after the cold gray of winter!
8. Insert random thought here...
If any of you have ever gone into Whole Paycheck, I mean, Whole Foods, you know that it's a complete barrage of sensations on the whole mind, body, emotional experience. I can walk through that store and feel all KINDS of guilt on things I never knew I needed to feel guilty about... do I need to be dairy free? gluten free? soy free? meat free? Am I poisoning my children/husband/dog? Wait, I don't have a dog... ok, one less thing to feel guilty about... except that there's a book that is entitled "How Having a Dog can Save Your Child's Life and Make Him Smarter than Einstein" Darn.
Anyway... here's an awesome article about the whole Whole Foods experience... let me just say, I think this author was trailing me when I was in there last week (because I needed an emergency gift for someone... I can NOT afford, either monetarily or emotionally, to shop there regularly!) (Quick disclaimer, the language isn't the cleanest, but not overly offensive... and I laughed so hard I cried!) Enjoy!
1. When did you last sing happy birthday to someone? When were you last sung to? Does that embarrass you or do you enjoy being the center of attention on your special day?
I went on a women's retreat this last weekend and one of the ladies there was also celebrating her birthday! (Happy Birthday Pat!) So of course we duly embarrassed her and sang to her, very loudly! And yes, I was sung to on my 40th birthday last March - and I love it! I actually love being the center of attention on my special day, and I don't feel complete unless I've been sung to and have blown a candle out. I don't know why, just bring me a cupcake with a candle and I'm a happy lady!
There was a sweet older couple from our church in North Carolina who, because of health issues, couldn't do much with the church family, so they decided their "service" was going to be to call every single person in the church, young and old, on their birthdays and sing them Happy Birthday. It was absolutely the sweetest thing... and I'll admit, I miss hearing their sweet voices on the other end of the phone on my birthday.
2. Name a famous or 'infamous' person (living or deceased) who shares your birth day and month. Is that someone you'd like to meet in person if it were possible?
Momofuku Ando. Who is that, besides someone with a somewhat unfortunate name? He was the inventor of instant noodle soup. Born on March 5, 1910. Think about it... without his invention, college students around the world would surely be starving to death... I'm just sayin. Of course, he did die of heart failure... so perhaps a steady diet of instant noodle soup is not a recommended way to go... hmmm... not a huge desire to meet him honestly... nothing personal, Momofuku!
3. Someone hands you a box tied up in a lovely bow...what are you hoping to find inside?
I don't really care... I just love getting gifts that have been carefully thought out! A framed picture, tickets to an awesome show or concert, a pretty piece of jewelry, a book, a figurine, keys to a paid-for car... whatever! :-)
4. What can you guarantee about yourself?
I believe with all my heart, soul, and mind, that God is good... that God is faithful... and God is GOD, no matter what!
Aside from that, I can also make awesome brownies, will bring you dinner if you aren't feeling well, will sing along to any song anywhere, and I love to teach God's word to children!
5. Talking art and beautiful cities here...'The Last Supper' in the Santa Maria della Grazie Abbey in Milan Italy or 'The Mona Lisa' in The Louvre, Paris...which would you most like to see up close and in person? Why?
I'd love to see the Mona Lisa - mainly because of DaVinci's quote in which he said "She had many secrets, I merely painted one of them!" So intriguing!
6. Your favorite dessert?
Lemon Raspberry Cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory, with a cup of strong coffee please!
(But if I'm in Gulf Shores, Pensacola, I've got to go with the Key Lime Pie at Flounders Restaurant... yum!)
7. This coming weekend marks the official start of autumn (in the Northern hemisphere)...what is something you do to get ready for fall? What is one thing you're looking forward to on your fall calendar? Spring or fall-which do you prefer?
I love fall - the crispness in the air, changing leaf colors, pumpkin everything.. yum! (Of course, now we live on the beach in southern California... fall may be a bit different here... but STILL!) I'm looking forward to taking the family apple picking up in Oak Glenn, where my parents used to take my brother and I. My husband may scoff, country boy that he is... but oh well, we'll have fun! :-) I will admit, though, that I enjoy spring more because I am SO ready for flowers and greenery after the cold gray of winter!
8. Insert random thought here...
If any of you have ever gone into Whole Paycheck, I mean, Whole Foods, you know that it's a complete barrage of sensations on the whole mind, body, emotional experience. I can walk through that store and feel all KINDS of guilt on things I never knew I needed to feel guilty about... do I need to be dairy free? gluten free? soy free? meat free? Am I poisoning my children/husband/dog? Wait, I don't have a dog... ok, one less thing to feel guilty about... except that there's a book that is entitled "How Having a Dog can Save Your Child's Life and Make Him Smarter than Einstein" Darn.
Anyway... here's an awesome article about the whole Whole Foods experience... let me just say, I think this author was trailing me when I was in there last week (because I needed an emergency gift for someone... I can NOT afford, either monetarily or emotionally, to shop there regularly!) (Quick disclaimer, the language isn't the cleanest, but not overly offensive... and I laughed so hard I cried!) Enjoy!
7 comments:
oh, I like the DiVinci quote ... I've seen Mona twice and she didn't tell me nuttin' though. :( Too crowded to get close enough for her to whisper, perhaps?!?!?!? :)
Have a great rest of the week!
PS I also love and agree w/ your what you know GUARANTEED about God!!!!! :)
Would you believe that I've never been in Whole Foods? We don't have one anywhere close to us, so that's probably the reason. Plus, like you, I fear that I'd been consumed with guilt from the moment the doors opened. Oh, man...love me some Key Lime Pie, too! God is good...so very thankful for that!
We don't have a whole foods here, but we do have something similar 'harvest foods'...all organic. AND expensive most times. Every once in a while they have a sale I can't resist. Love the fact the whole congregation sang happy birthday! That sounds so heart warming.
Now, I'm off to read the article from the link you shared.
I'm with Conny...I've seen the Mona Lisa several times, and it's always too crowded to appreciate. We don't have a whole foods nearby, but I've been in other places. It is a bombardment of the senses!
I don't shop at Whole foods although my daughter does because my grandson was gluten-free for a while. key Lime pie in Key West Florida is the best.
I have been blessed to see both paintings, and get close enough to see them well; they are both fantastic...and Mona Lisa *did* have a certain sparkle in her eye...
Whole Foods and Trader Joe's...love-hate relationship with both. I have fallen back in love with the commissary, even if they don't always have what I want/need. I am getting better at adapting to that, and my shopping is just so much less stressful...though I still despise the experience because it always seems to take forever. Best part of shopping at WF and TJ: knowing I can't really afford to be in either, so it is a pretty quick trip when I do go! :-)
Blessings,
Erika
Haha I love you answer to #2. I had no idea who invented instant soup, but you're right, college kids would have starved without this invention. Myself included. lol
Post a Comment