Tuesday, September 3, 2013

A Honey (NOT Honey Boo-Boo) of a Hodgepodge

What is it about having a Monday holiday that just throws off the rhythm of the week?  It's equally bizarre that I'm so "thrown" this week since, well, we haven't even started school yet!  I KNOW!  What is this craziness of extended summer breaks, days by the pool, walks on the beach... oh, who am I kidding... it's high school band camp, running around getting school registration forms filled and supplies purchased, last minute play dates and sleep-overs, and sessions of tutoring for my Little C with his awesome aunt... gloriously busy, but a fun busy, you know?  Pretty soon we'll be in the school (3 different schools, different schedules), band practices and football games and weekend parades, and soccer practices and games and... hmmmmm..... guess I won't complain about being "off" this week!  So until the fall blissful craziness ensues, let's Hodgepodge!

1. What's something you're never too young or too old to enjoy?

a bouquet of flowers... the sound of a baby's laughter... a puppy falling over its feet as it tries to catch a ball or go up stairs... a song of praise to our God... a hug... a call from a dear friend... a handwritten letter... a smile.


2. Share one happy memory from your high school years.

When I was in 8th grade (I know, not high school... bear with me, this needs a back story)  my Spanish teacher arranged for all of us to have penpals from around the world.  Mine was a lovely girl named Barbara Codling who was from Australia.  She and I forged a friendship that lasted until we were in college!  And during my senior year, my high school marching band traveled to Australia, and I got to meet her!  We had so much fun - other than when she gave me Vegemite to try (Qquestion #1), which made me gag... not the best first impression.  But I'll never forget getting to meet her after writing letters back and forth for so many years!  This was before email, remember... and I'm so sad that we lost contact during college when we both got married and our lives changed... I'd love to find her again!


3. A nationwide strike of fast food employees took place in the U. S. last week...they're calling for higher wages and the right to unionize? Your thoughts?

Umm, perhaps this is one of those times I'm glad I don't watch the news much?  I don't honestly know enough about the issues to have an opinion either way... so rather than make something up, I'll just leave it at that!


4. September is National Honey Month...what's a favorite dish you make or eat that calls for honey?

I don't know of any dishes that calls for honey, except for maybe the honey butter I make to go on cornbread (cooked in my Granny's cast iron skillet, thank you!)  When I'm sick with a chest cold, nothing's better than a hot toddy - chamomile tea, raw honey, and whiskey.  Clears up the chest congestion like nothing else!


5.  If you notice someone with a tag sticking out, a button unbuttoned, a shirt on inside-out, or some leftover lunch stuck between their teeth do you say something or do you keep quiet? 

I will always say something if the opportunity arises, discretely... I've been on the other end, and I'm always so grateful when someone informs me that I have indeed walked into Bible study with my sweater inside out.  Ahem.  Sigh.


6. What movie always makes you cry?  Or at least makes you feel like crying?

Steel Magnolias.  Every. Single. Time.


7.   'Mary Had a Little Lamb' was written in May of 1830, and published in Juvenile Miscellany in September of that same year.  Now for the fun part...create your own four line rhyme using that same tune.

Mary had a little son, little son, little son,

Mary had a little son 
who came to save the world
And everywhere that Jesus went, Jesus went, Jesus went
Everywhere that Jesus went,
the people He did save!

8.  Insert your own random thought here.


I'm going to quote a devotional a dear friend shared with me today... it has stuck with me all day... 

Through the Red Sea onto dry ground. Through the wilderness, through the valley of the shadow of death. Through! It’s a favorite word of God’s. Isaiah 43:2 says, “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you… when you walk through the fire, you will not be burned.”

It won’t be painless. Have you wept your final tear, received your last round of chemotherapy? Not necessarily. Does God guarantee the absence of struggle? Not in this life. We see Satan’s tricks and ploys, but God sees Satan tripped and foiled. You’ll get through this!







6 comments:

Joyce said...

How fun to meet your pen pal! I guess maybe in this decade, meeting online friends in person is similar. Do kids still have pen pals?

Marla said...

Thanks for the uplifting words! Yes, meeting your Australian penpal sounds very cool! Question? Your high school band went to Australia? Wow! How did that happen? Can't imagine the fundraising needed! (I was the Band Boosters president when daughters were in school.) But definitely an awesome experience I'm sure! What instrument did you play?

April said...

"Steel Magnolias" gets me every time, too!

retired not tired said...

I hope you find your pen pal. I have a girlfriend I worked with 38 years ago and we got together last summer. It was awesome.

Erika Mehlhaff said...

I love that devotional, too! I have a 'thing' about prepositions and conjunctions; so the use of 'through' is so great to me--it could have been something else entirely, but the message would have been so different! I love that 'through' makes it clear that there *IS* something beyond the present moment; and it functions to tether us to that one thing different, more, better that is coming! YES!!!

Love you, Friend...

Erika

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Love the devotional you shared.

I had a penpal as a youngster. We communicated for maybe 10 years or more. We lost touch when we married and our lives changed, too. I wish I could get n touch with her but all I can remember is that her name was Janice and she moved from Kirkcaldy, Scotland to South Africa when she married.