Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Conquering our fears... and taking a poll!

You know what time it is!  It's Hodgepodge time!  Feel free to join in on the fun over at Joyce's place (after you have left a fun comment for me at the bottom, you know... it's my love language after all!)  Hope you are having a great week, friends!

1. The first week of August is National Simplify Your Life Week...what's one thing you could do this week to qualify as a participant?

I could figure out a way to NEVER have paper clutter on our kitchen island.  Seriously, what IS it about that place that attracts all varieties of papers, flyers, etc like a magnet?  Sheesh!


2. It's also National Peach Month...peach pie, peach cobbler, or please pour me a Bellini?  What's your peach pleasure?

Growing up, we had a huge peach tree in our backyard, so every summer we would have peaches coming out of our ears!  Yummy!  I do love peaches, and anything peach flavored.  My favorite from that list, however, would have to be peach cobbler.  With french vanilla ice cream, please!


I have never had a Bellini, (somehow that's one recipe my mom never did with our peaches!  I simply must speak to her about that! ) But seeing the ingredients now, I think that I simply must try one!  Away to Italy I must go, pronto!  :-)

3. Eleanor Roosevelt once wrote, "Do one thing every day that scares you." Agree or disagree...explain.

I guess I agree - not that it means to do something stupid or foolish, but rather to try and conquer any fears or insecurities you may have, and to realize, yet again, that God is the One who is in control of all things, and daily gives us the strength and assurance to carry out our lives.


"For God did not give us a Spirit of fear but of power and love and self-control" 2 Timothy 1:7

Plus, if you live your life in fear, never trying new things and going out of your comfort zone, you will miss out on SO much!  I'll never forget being in Kauai a few years ago and going snorkeling for the first time.  I am not an exceptionally strong swimmer, and being out in the middle of the water like that is definitely unnerving for me - and when I first got in the water, my mask was too small and I started to hyperventilate.  A very scary feeling... but I got back on the boat, got a bigger mask, got a floaty to hold on to for the first few minutes until I felt more comfortable, and then when I got the courage to let go and look below... oh my goodness... the amazing world that lives beneath those waters!  Fish of every size and color!  Sea turtles!  Eels!  An octopus!  A barracuda!  Rays!  I lifted my head and looked out at the shore, and I thought, Wow - how many people just stay on the shore and miss out on this amazing world that is just feet away from them!  I was so proud of myself for sticking with it, and for not giving into my fears!

4. What's your favorite household chore?  Yes-you have to name one.

Um, can I say my favorite household chore is calling a housecleaner to just come and clean the entire house for me?  (I indulged in a housecleaner when my hubs was deployed, and then again last fall during my hip surgery.  Oh, how nice it was to have the whole house done!  I feel like I'm in a constant battle to keep up - the bathrooms may get done, but the sheets need to be changed.  The kitchen may be clean, but the house needs to be dusted.  You know what I mean)  But if I have to choose a chore I don't mind,  the one I enjoy most would probably be vacuuming... instant gratification, gets the rugs and tile clean, etc.  Not very exciting, I know, but there you have it!


5. Fodors recently listed (what they've dubbed) the ten most beautiful sunset spots in America. Click here to read more and see the pretty pictures, but this is their list:

Butterfly Beach in Santa Barbara CA, Mount Haleakala in Maui HI, Old Fort Marcy Park in Santa Fe NM, Laguna Beach CA, Hopi Point in Grand Canyon AZ, Four Seasons in Miami FL, Santa Monica Pier in Santa Monica CA, Gay Head in Martha's Vineyard MA, Ensign Peak in Salt Lake City UT, and Mallory Square in Key West Florida.

Have you seen the sun set from any of these spots?  If you could choose to watch the sun set this weekend from one spot on the Fodors List, which would you choose?  Where was the prettiest sunset you've ever seen?

I have seen the sunset from Laguna Beach, the Grand Canyon, and Santa Monica.  All absolutely gorgeous!  I'll admit, I love the sunsets in Arizona, as the sun reflects the red from the red rocks and paints the sky with all colors of red and orange.  And here on the California coast, we get some pretty awesome sunsets as well - just last night we explored some hiking trails up in the hills above our house, and oh my, we had a view of the ocean on one side, and rolling hills and city on the other - it was amazing!  


Here are a couple of  sunset pictures I captured our first week of living here in January... (we live in San Clemente, about 15 minutes from Laguna Beach, CA)


 This is a shot taken from our church patio.  Gorgeous.



And I may have taken this picture and sent it to my friends in Idaho, 
who had temps of around 5 degrees at the time.  Mean, I know.  Hehe...

6. What's your favorite or most used app?  If you don't use apps how about your favorite or most visited website?

Oh, so many to choose from!  I'd have to organize by category - for everyday life, I use GroceryIQ for my shopping lists - LOVE it - it organizes my grocery list by store, category, etc.  For Games, I'm currently loving the Ticket to Ride game.  And then there's Facebook... probably way too much time spent on there!  But I do love that I can take photos and immediately post them for family to see.


7. We've recently passed the halfway mark for 2013...write a seven word sentence that sums up your year thus far. 

Still trying to figure this place out!


8.  Insert your own random thought here:


Allow me to take a quick poll, if you don't mind...

Knowing that I might use it in a future blog post or book chapter, can you tell me what you wish you had known back when you were in your 20s? 30's?  40's?  50's?  60's?  and so on... Looking back on your life (hindsight always being 20/20 after all), what do you wish you had realized in each decade?  Please tell me which decade you are speaking of, and feel free to leave multiple comments (or email me directly at dshenry5@gmail.com) if need be!
Thanks friends!








11 comments:

retired not tired said...

I have often played the game if we had made a left turn instead of a right turn where would be. If I had gone back to work after my mat leave and put my kids in daycare? If hubby had quit school when he wanted to and taken the job he was offered? or if he had gone to teacher's college after he graduated?

Casey said...

Johnny Carino's has the absolute best Peach Bellini ever! I highly recommend it!

Casey said...

Johnny Carino's has the absolute best Peach Bellini ever! I highly recommend it!

Theresa said...

I love your answer for #3- what a great example of perservering!

Nikki said...

I don't think i had any idea about the peach tree in your old back yard. We had a apricot tree in our front yard for a while but it died when i was young so i don't remember it that much.
You aren't the only one with a nightmare kitchen island! Mine's ridiculous!

Skoots1moM said...

wishing I had a kitchen island...mines a small ushape with just enough room to open the fridge

In my 20s I was all about me...so sad, so selfish; should have been spending much more time visiting my parents/listening to their advice on life/finances. my dad dies 6 mos after my marriage when I was 30yo.

Joyce said...

That second sunset photo is really gorgeous. I wish I'd saved more in my 20's : )

Hootin Anni said...

I'm gonna have to go out on Google Play Store [this is for Android?] and look for the Grocery IQ. I could use that for sure.

And as for decades; wishing what I had known back when? I must be honest, if I knew what I know now with each passing decade, life would have been boring and no challenge whatsoever. I like living and learning by trial, error, and what may come.

Susan said...

How wonderful to be able to watch a beautiful sunset over the water so often. Love the photos.

Mary said...

I think if I saw a sunset like that, I'd be outside every night watching it!

Zoanna said...

IOkay, I totally misread one line. I thought it said this photo was taken from our church PIANO! And I was like, "How'd they get a piano on the beach?" LOL

Calling a housecleaner. What a treat. i have hired friends in a pinch (post op or pre-wedding). It was so nice. BTW let's meet in Italy for a Bellini, shall we?