Wednesday, July 24, 2013

It's a Copa-Duckie Hodgepodge...

Ahh, Hodgepodge while on vacation... what a relaxing time!  Beach house, family, card games, yummy seafood, wine... yep, that's what summer vacation is all about!  So here it is, midnight, and I'm hodgepodgeing for you all - I hope you are having a great week as well!  :-)

1. July 24th is Amelia Earhart Day.  Earhart was the first female to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean.  What's something you've recently accomplished solo? 

Designing the sets for our church's VBS - our childrens director and I worked together brainstorming ideas, but I put it all together and, oh, was it fun!  :-)


2.  What's one product you use that never ever fails?

Bleach.  Whether I want it to or not.  As is evidenced by several of my favorite black t-shirts that have gotten in the way of me doing a load of whites.  Urgh.


3. Have you found your place in the world? Where is it?

Flagstaff, Arizona.  It is where my hubby and I spend our last 6 months as an engaged couple, as newlyweds, and where our firstborn arrived... for 6 years it ushered us into young adulthood, and it still remains "home" to us, no matter where else we live.  It is where I want to be buried, overlooking "our" peaks at Trinity Heights UMC, our first church home.  It's where we truly "grew up" together and where I began to glimpse who I would someday become.



4.  Worst movie you ever saw?

Howard the Duck.  There's just no words for it... no explanation for it... Even Leonard Maltin was quoted as describing the film as a "hopeless mess ... a gargantuan production which produces a gargantuan headache"


5. What's the last fun thing you did?

Well, we are on vacation, so I've got to say this morning, when we walked on the beach down to the pier and let the kids shop in the candy shop, then we walked to the Brown Butter Cookie Company (um, YUM!), and then waddled our way home, peeking in people's gardens and commenting on home designs along the way.  I love this place.  Enough said.


6. The month of July is named for Roman Emperor Julius Caesar...ever been to Rome? What's your favorite Italian dish?

Nope, have never been to Rome.  But going to Italy is DEFINITELY on my bucket list for sure... the whole country, please!  Favorite Italian dish?  My shrimp and angel hair pasta recipe from Williams and Sonoma - with a crisp white wine and crunchy homemade garlic bread.  YUM!!!


7. What is one piece of advice you'd offer new mom Kate Middleton?

Stop listening to everyone who tells you that you are doing everything the wrong way.  Stop, and just hold your baby.  Listen to his breathing. Smell his very essence.  Talk to him.  Communicate with him.  Develop your own love language with him.  Because titles aside, and family pressures aside, when push comes to shove, you are still his one and only mommy.  And this time, this time is precious.  Cherish it.  No one can take your place... and no one can take his.


8.  Insert your own random thought here.


Tonight my kids and I were playing "Heads Up" which is a hilarious charades game for the iPhone - developed by Ellen Degeneres, we love playing it together as a family.  So anyway, tonight my daughter had the theme "DJ" in which she had to guess a song I was humming.  AND SHE DIDN'T KNOW THIS SONG!!!  I have truly failed in the area of music education with my children.

So, without further ado, and so that anyone reading this blog will NOT fail should this come up in their next attempt at HeadsUp (seriously, one of the most fun app games I have ever owned)... Here you go...








10 comments:

Nikki said...

Yes! You must visit Italy in the future, you won't regret it. ;)

Laura Anne said...

Italy is on my bucket list too - I've seen a small part but not enough for me!

Susan said...

I think I saw that game demonstrated on the Today Show? I'll have to check it out. :) Have a wonderful vacation!

Anonymous said...

Great advice for Kate, I wish someone would have told me that when I had my firstborn. It would have solved so many stress and pressure issues I had!

retired not tired said...

My grandchildren discovered Boogie Woogie Dancing Queen and thought they had found a new song so continue to she the oldies with your kids.

A Joyful Chaos said...

Love your advice for Kate Middleton!

Zoanna said...

Girlfriend, you and I simply MUST meet in person! How about in Italy? I'm serious. We'd have a "ducky" time. I can just picture humming "Copacabana" for my husband --and he DOES know the song. I'm sure he'd give up . I only know Barry Manilow (Barely ManEnough)'s version, though. Your advice to Kate was spot-on, and your bleach answer matched mine , speaking of "spot on" :) I no longer use it in my laundry because of all the spots that got on my unintended non-whites.

Joyce said...

I don't really need to know about any new games for my phone, but that one sounds like fun. I'm going to have to check it out. Enjoy your vacay-sounds heavenly!

Erika Mehlhaff said...

Copacabana!! My favorite song as a child!!!! I have to say, though, the content seems a little bit heavy for the Muppet Show...but times were different then! LOL!!

Love always,
E

Beansieleigh said...

Oh my goodness, the shrimp and pasta sounds SO-oooo GOOD!.. And I'm a HUGE muppet fan, so loved this version of Copacabana with Liza Minnelli!... Have a great week! ~tina