Welcome back for another installment of our weekly Hodgepodge! The sun is shining, the birds are chirping, kids are laughing... what a great way to start our day! Feel free to leave a comment at the end, letting me know you stopped by, then hop on over to Joyce's blog to see what others have answered! It's a fun little community! Now, without further ado, lets Hodgepodge!
1. What's something people might ask you for help with?
Music, leading Bible studies or children's ministry events, painting sets (!), making a meal for someone who is sick, holding babies! All things I love to do!
2. What's something you might ask someone else for help with?
Catching and disposing of rodents - *shudder*- also, major car repair... another full body shudder.
3. Did your family take summer vacations when you were a child? If so, where did you go? If you're a parent, did/do you plan summer vacations with your own family? Did/do they resemble those you took as a child?
We always took a week or two in the summer and went car camping, we went as far as Crater Lake in Oregon, and out to Bryce & Zion parks in Utah, the Grand Canyon in Arizona, and a bazillion national and state parks throughout California - (and hey, apparently bazillion is an actual word, because my spell check didn't activate just then! Who knew!)
We do summer vacations with our kiddos - in years past they have always involved flying out to see family. But since we have just moved back to California, our trips will change a bit. Still visiting family, but hopefully some family we haven't seen in quite a while! The family beach house in central CA is always a welcome spot to get away to!
We don't do as much camping with our kids as my parents did with us - we would like to do a little more with our kiddos - but although there is something to be said for getting out into the wilderness, I personally think camping is a lot of work, requires a lot of preparation, and everything gets so filthy that it takes three days when we get home just to get the dirt out of everything and get my hair out of its permanent ponytail shape! So it's not my first choice of "vacation"
4. Pool-lake-ocean...which one is most appealing to you on a hot summer day?
Ocean!!! The smell of the water, the sound of the waves... love it!
5. Have you ever justified using the expression, 'you gotta be cruel to be kind'? Was it really necessary or were you rationalizing?
I don't think I have ever used that expression - and no, I don't think you have to be cruel, per say, but there are times when "tough love" is necessary in order for a lesson to be learned.
6. The Journal of Psychology recently mentioned the results of a survey identifying the ten most hated foods as-liver, lima beans, mayonnaise, mushrooms, eggs, okra, beets, brussel sprouts, tuna, and gelatin. Of those foods, how many do you actually hate? Anything you'd add to the list?
I don't particularly care for liver, lima beans, or brussel sprouts (in my defense, I don't know if I've ever had brussel sprouts cooked well) I would have to also add rhubarb, cottage cheese, and curry.
7. What's your favorite book or movie set in a beach or lake town?
Favorite book: Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher - set in Cornwall, England. One of my all time favorite books that I read and re-read all the time!
8. Insert your own random thought here.
If you have boys, or even if you don't, you should watch this video. Absolutely fantastic - Dustin Hoffman, talking about his role on the movie Tootsie, and what he discovered...
1. What's something people might ask you for help with?
Music, leading Bible studies or children's ministry events, painting sets (!), making a meal for someone who is sick, holding babies! All things I love to do!
2. What's something you might ask someone else for help with?
Catching and disposing of rodents - *shudder*- also, major car repair... another full body shudder.
3. Did your family take summer vacations when you were a child? If so, where did you go? If you're a parent, did/do you plan summer vacations with your own family? Did/do they resemble those you took as a child?
We always took a week or two in the summer and went car camping, we went as far as Crater Lake in Oregon, and out to Bryce & Zion parks in Utah, the Grand Canyon in Arizona, and a bazillion national and state parks throughout California - (and hey, apparently bazillion is an actual word, because my spell check didn't activate just then! Who knew!)
We do summer vacations with our kiddos - in years past they have always involved flying out to see family. But since we have just moved back to California, our trips will change a bit. Still visiting family, but hopefully some family we haven't seen in quite a while! The family beach house in central CA is always a welcome spot to get away to!
We don't do as much camping with our kids as my parents did with us - we would like to do a little more with our kiddos - but although there is something to be said for getting out into the wilderness, I personally think camping is a lot of work, requires a lot of preparation, and everything gets so filthy that it takes three days when we get home just to get the dirt out of everything and get my hair out of its permanent ponytail shape! So it's not my first choice of "vacation"
4. Pool-lake-ocean...which one is most appealing to you on a hot summer day?
Ocean!!! The smell of the water, the sound of the waves... love it!
5. Have you ever justified using the expression, 'you gotta be cruel to be kind'? Was it really necessary or were you rationalizing?
I don't think I have ever used that expression - and no, I don't think you have to be cruel, per say, but there are times when "tough love" is necessary in order for a lesson to be learned.
6. The Journal of Psychology recently mentioned the results of a survey identifying the ten most hated foods as-liver, lima beans, mayonnaise, mushrooms, eggs, okra, beets, brussel sprouts, tuna, and gelatin. Of those foods, how many do you actually hate? Anything you'd add to the list?
I don't particularly care for liver, lima beans, or brussel sprouts (in my defense, I don't know if I've ever had brussel sprouts cooked well) I would have to also add rhubarb, cottage cheese, and curry.
7. What's your favorite book or movie set in a beach or lake town?
Favorite book: Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher - set in Cornwall, England. One of my all time favorite books that I read and re-read all the time!
8. Insert your own random thought here.
If you have boys, or even if you don't, you should watch this video. Absolutely fantastic - Dustin Hoffman, talking about his role on the movie Tootsie, and what he discovered...
5 comments:
I knew someone would mention a book or movie I loved. The Shell Seekers is also one of my all time favorites!
I disliked brussel sprouts as a kid, but love them now. We cook ours with garlic and pancetta-yum!!
Shell Seekers--definitely a fav. I like Coming Home even better--I've read it a dozen times, I think.
Thinking about the ocean, and visiting you all, and...okay, wake up, Julie!!
Oh, right. I forgot about catching and disposing rodents. And reptiles. Ew. Double Ew. LOL
I agree that camping is NOT a vacation for a mom. Too much prep, too much packing, too much laundry, etc. Give me a hotel with clean towels and room service! ( :
I keep trying to leave comments, but my computer keeps having issues...same as last week! Anyways, I am with you on the rodents and car repair, especially lately (car, not rodents)! And I agree about the camping; but my family knows I am not much of a camper and they usually do most of the clean-up without me. If I have to sleep on the ground in a tent, deal with mosquitoes, and make sure we have 'gourmet' camp meals, they kinda owe it to me...right?
Love you,
E
Post a Comment