Hi friends! Well, we made it through a week of Vacation Bible School at our church - by which I mean that, yes, I have been singing our "Kingdom Rock" theme song ad nauseum for a week now, and my children now know how to fully paint, detail, and install a working castle backdrop complete with drawbridge... I'm so proud! :-) Seriously, though, what an amazing week we had at our church last week - and I'm pretty excited that, out of 120 kids participating, we had 105 boxes turned in for Operation Christmas Child! Not a bad turn out!
But that was last week... 24 hours after our VBS ended we had D's sister, hubby, and 15-year-old stepson come down for a few days - so we've had fun showing them our downtown area, the local beaches, and LegoLand today! So fun! But they leave tomorrow :-( - so rather than dwell on that, let's shift our focus to the 4th of July and celebrating our country's amazing heritage! We do take it for granted... so without further ado, onto the Hodgepodge!
1. What's one simple small pleasure on your summer 'to-do' list?
Oh that's easy - and it's one we just did on Sunday night! (see our picture below with my hubby, sis-in-law, nephew, and kiddos!) We went down to the beach and had a bonfire! I absolutely love watching the sunset over the horizon, feeling the air change from sultry hot do damp cool, pulling sweatshirts over your swimsuits, roasting hot dogs and s'mores over the fire... coming home feeling and tasting all salty and smoky, and the feel of a shower afterwards... there's just nothing like it! That is summer to me.
2. Do you have strong feelings or opinions regarding the immigration debate in your home country? Feel free to share your thoughts, but please play nice.
What a complicated issue. I will say that I do not agree with families who cross the border, simply to take advantage of the freedoms our country has to offer, without taking the steps to become citizens themselves, paying taxes and contributing to that which makes our nation successful.
3. What's something in your home or wardrobe that could be described as 'star spangled'?
We had an American flag blanket that sat on our outside bench for years, until just recently when I realized it had become very faded and worn over the years - thank you, Idaho wind! We still fly our American flag day and night, though!
4. Is your house set up for a party?
Oh wow - this just shows how late it is right now, and how long a day it has been - I totally read that as "Is your house set up for a PUPPY!"
I really need more sleep.
But, in response to the ACTUAL question (because obviously, I"m in NO state to entertain a PUPPY right now) - yes, we do have a good party house! Perhaps more room in the backyard would be nice, but we have a spacious kitchen, two eating areas, good sized family room... yep, it's a good house!
5. What one never-before-visited city in America, would you most like to see?
I've always wanted to go to Boston. So much history... and the fall colors... and clam chowder. I don't really know if they are known for their clam chowder, but they seem like they would be... so I'll try it and see... if I ever get there...
6. Your favorite red food? White food? Blue food?
Red food: homemade spaghetti sauce. With mushrooms and garlic. And fresh tomatoes - not canned - blech.
White food: Does white wine count? If not, then I'd have to say whipped cream! can't go wrong with that one!
Blue food: Blueberries!
7. What freedom do you value the most, and why?
The freedom of religion! Truly awesome... that we can worship any way we want to, where ever we want to (mostly), and we won't be persecuted for it. I guess this kind of goes hand-in-hand with the right of speech, which is also truly incredible... that the freedom of speech allows someone the right to say that which they believe, even if those words make our very blood boil... that in the end, we are allowed to believe what we choose to believe, and say what we choose to say, and that very right is exactly what God created us to be... all the while wishing with all of His heart that we will choose Him, and speak for Him, and love only Him... and then, and only then, will we be truly free.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
This is the first Fourth of July in 13 years that we have not been serving in the United States military. And more and more I am realizing just how amazing our military is - how incredible the families are - how strong the military members are. And yes, just how much we take for granted all that they do for us. And so, for this Fourth of July, I thought it be fitting to take a break from the barbeque plans, from the beach bonfires, from all of the "What are you doing for the 4th" plans, and just reflect on how blessed we are to live in this land, and how much our military gives up for us every. single. day. ... God bless, everyone.
But that was last week... 24 hours after our VBS ended we had D's sister, hubby, and 15-year-old stepson come down for a few days - so we've had fun showing them our downtown area, the local beaches, and LegoLand today! So fun! But they leave tomorrow :-( - so rather than dwell on that, let's shift our focus to the 4th of July and celebrating our country's amazing heritage! We do take it for granted... so without further ado, onto the Hodgepodge!
1. What's one simple small pleasure on your summer 'to-do' list?
Oh that's easy - and it's one we just did on Sunday night! (see our picture below with my hubby, sis-in-law, nephew, and kiddos!) We went down to the beach and had a bonfire! I absolutely love watching the sunset over the horizon, feeling the air change from sultry hot do damp cool, pulling sweatshirts over your swimsuits, roasting hot dogs and s'mores over the fire... coming home feeling and tasting all salty and smoky, and the feel of a shower afterwards... there's just nothing like it! That is summer to me.
2. Do you have strong feelings or opinions regarding the immigration debate in your home country? Feel free to share your thoughts, but please play nice.
What a complicated issue. I will say that I do not agree with families who cross the border, simply to take advantage of the freedoms our country has to offer, without taking the steps to become citizens themselves, paying taxes and contributing to that which makes our nation successful.
3. What's something in your home or wardrobe that could be described as 'star spangled'?
We had an American flag blanket that sat on our outside bench for years, until just recently when I realized it had become very faded and worn over the years - thank you, Idaho wind! We still fly our American flag day and night, though!
4. Is your house set up for a party?
Oh wow - this just shows how late it is right now, and how long a day it has been - I totally read that as "Is your house set up for a PUPPY!"
I really need more sleep.
But, in response to the ACTUAL question (because obviously, I"m in NO state to entertain a PUPPY right now) - yes, we do have a good party house! Perhaps more room in the backyard would be nice, but we have a spacious kitchen, two eating areas, good sized family room... yep, it's a good house!
5. What one never-before-visited city in America, would you most like to see?
I've always wanted to go to Boston. So much history... and the fall colors... and clam chowder. I don't really know if they are known for their clam chowder, but they seem like they would be... so I'll try it and see... if I ever get there...
6. Your favorite red food? White food? Blue food?
Red food: homemade spaghetti sauce. With mushrooms and garlic. And fresh tomatoes - not canned - blech.
White food: Does white wine count? If not, then I'd have to say whipped cream! can't go wrong with that one!
Blue food: Blueberries!
7. What freedom do you value the most, and why?
The freedom of religion! Truly awesome... that we can worship any way we want to, where ever we want to (mostly), and we won't be persecuted for it. I guess this kind of goes hand-in-hand with the right of speech, which is also truly incredible... that the freedom of speech allows someone the right to say that which they believe, even if those words make our very blood boil... that in the end, we are allowed to believe what we choose to believe, and say what we choose to say, and that very right is exactly what God created us to be... all the while wishing with all of His heart that we will choose Him, and speak for Him, and love only Him... and then, and only then, will we be truly free.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
This is the first Fourth of July in 13 years that we have not been serving in the United States military. And more and more I am realizing just how amazing our military is - how incredible the families are - how strong the military members are. And yes, just how much we take for granted all that they do for us. And so, for this Fourth of July, I thought it be fitting to take a break from the barbeque plans, from the beach bonfires, from all of the "What are you doing for the 4th" plans, and just reflect on how blessed we are to live in this land, and how much our military gives up for us every. single. day. ... God bless, everyone.
5 comments:
I totally laughed out loud about the PUPPY . Oh, yes, my dear, you DO need more sleep !!!
That's great about VBS and the shoeboxes. I'm sure your kids have some mad kingdom scenery skilz now. God bless you and yours for being one of those strong military (is there any such thing as ex-military?) families! Happy 4th to you all.
One of the most emotional 4th of July I had was when we spent it with my in-laws. My FIL is retired Army, and we went to the post to see the celebration and the fireworks. It was amazing to spend it with military families!
Love your "white" answer! Wish I had thought of it!
Boston in the fall is something I want to experience, for sure.
AND, I've always wanted to experience a bonfire on the beach...I guess here in the south it's even to hot when the sun goes down to experience that!
Have a good 4th!
Are you actually getting a puppy?? :) I would adopt if i were you, i recommend that puppies can be such handfuls! My brother has one and she just wears you out. Anyway you should go to Boston, I went a few years ago went to Philly and Washington DC as well. So much was learned about American history!
If you do go to Sierra Madre tomorrow let me know if the belly dancer is still marching. I haven't been there in a couple of years but i remember she seemed tired out & tired of marching.
I liked your #2 and #7!
Ooh, Boston is on my list too - USA is just too big! :)
I went to Boston last fall- a really fun city! And great clam chowder too : ) Your beachy bonfire sounds wonderful. Happy 4th, and thank you to your family for your service to this land we love!
Post a Comment