Hi there, friends! So glad you stopped by for our weekly Hodgepodge - I love doing this each week, and I do so love the comments you leave (words ARE my love language, you know... you feed my soul and give me smiles when you comment!) I hope that you are all having a blessed week! Let's Hodgepodge!
1. When were you last facing an ocean? Using just ONE word, describe how you felt as you faced that ocean.
I was facing an ocean just this past Saturday, as we explored the tidal pools and caves near where we live now. My three kiddos, my hubby, and my bro-in-law (who was visiting for the weekend) all spent the day finding starfish, hermit crabs, sea anemones, and cool caves. How did I feel? In one word?
Loved.
2. What are three sounds you hate to hear?
Curse words. Taking the Lord's name in vain. Crying children without someone to comfort them.
3. This question comes to you courtesy of some real life friends. Hi real life friends! When you shop for yourself, do you try everything on in the store before buying or do you buy, try on at home, and then return what you don't like or what doesn't fit?
Depending on how much time I have - I will normally buy and take home before trying them on. But last week I stopped myself and did try a couple of shirts on in the store, and I'm glad I did, because they were a bit tight in the arms. If it's not easy to return, I will almost always try them on.
4. February 26th is National Pistachio Day...are you a fan of the little green nut? Do you use them in cooking and baking or prefer to eat them right out of the shell?
I don't think I have ever cooked with them, but I do enjoy eating them right out of the shell! Yummy! (But why are they so darn expensive? Sheesh!)
5. When did you last have to compromise with someone? Were you happy to reach the compromise or slightly irritated it was necessary?
I just asked my hubby, and he said "You had to compromise with me, moving here!" I chuckled - but, hmmm, he's got a point! I definitely am not getting a 9-5, same job day in and day out, predictable life with this man of mine!
Some people marry bankers and lawyers. I married a school teacher turned Air Force pilot turned low-income housing social services provider!
6. Have you ever written a letter to an elected official? Did you get a response?
Nope, never have.
7. We 'March' into a new month at the end of this week...what's something on your March calendar guaranteed to make you smile?
Well, I turn 40 next Tuesday. And while some people may dread turning older, my perspective on that changed when my best friend didn't even make it to her 30th. So, I'm turning 40. And I have very dear friends and family coming to celebrate with me at a party my hubby has planned for me on Saturday! What else can i ask for?
8. Insert your own random thought here.
This is a big week. Friday, March 1, marks our very last day in the Air Force. Today I shopped at the nearest commissary, and I was in tears most of the time. We aren't retiring, we are voluntarily separating. And while we know that God has led us to this decision, and this new adventure is a good one, still... it's hard, to say goodbye to this community, to the security, to the craziness of unpredictability that is, strangely, predictable, and so therefore comforting. I know that God has great things planned for us here... but for right now, at this moment, I am sad. We appreciate your prayers!
1. When were you last facing an ocean? Using just ONE word, describe how you felt as you faced that ocean.
I was facing an ocean just this past Saturday, as we explored the tidal pools and caves near where we live now. My three kiddos, my hubby, and my bro-in-law (who was visiting for the weekend) all spent the day finding starfish, hermit crabs, sea anemones, and cool caves. How did I feel? In one word?
Loved.
2. What are three sounds you hate to hear?
Curse words. Taking the Lord's name in vain. Crying children without someone to comfort them.
3. This question comes to you courtesy of some real life friends. Hi real life friends! When you shop for yourself, do you try everything on in the store before buying or do you buy, try on at home, and then return what you don't like or what doesn't fit?
Depending on how much time I have - I will normally buy and take home before trying them on. But last week I stopped myself and did try a couple of shirts on in the store, and I'm glad I did, because they were a bit tight in the arms. If it's not easy to return, I will almost always try them on.
4. February 26th is National Pistachio Day...are you a fan of the little green nut? Do you use them in cooking and baking or prefer to eat them right out of the shell?
I don't think I have ever cooked with them, but I do enjoy eating them right out of the shell! Yummy! (But why are they so darn expensive? Sheesh!)
5. When did you last have to compromise with someone? Were you happy to reach the compromise or slightly irritated it was necessary?
I just asked my hubby, and he said "You had to compromise with me, moving here!" I chuckled - but, hmmm, he's got a point! I definitely am not getting a 9-5, same job day in and day out, predictable life with this man of mine!
Some people marry bankers and lawyers. I married a school teacher turned Air Force pilot turned low-income housing social services provider!
6. Have you ever written a letter to an elected official? Did you get a response?
Nope, never have.
7. We 'March' into a new month at the end of this week...what's something on your March calendar guaranteed to make you smile?
Well, I turn 40 next Tuesday. And while some people may dread turning older, my perspective on that changed when my best friend didn't even make it to her 30th. So, I'm turning 40. And I have very dear friends and family coming to celebrate with me at a party my hubby has planned for me on Saturday! What else can i ask for?
8. Insert your own random thought here.
This is a big week. Friday, March 1, marks our very last day in the Air Force. Today I shopped at the nearest commissary, and I was in tears most of the time. We aren't retiring, we are voluntarily separating. And while we know that God has led us to this decision, and this new adventure is a good one, still... it's hard, to say goodbye to this community, to the security, to the craziness of unpredictability that is, strangely, predictable, and so therefore comforting. I know that God has great things planned for us here... but for right now, at this moment, I am sad. We appreciate your prayers!
14 comments:
Enjoyed your answers. Change is always hard. Will be praying for you!
until next time...nel
I know how hard change is! :( you'll be ok tho and the happy part is that D will be home more often.
By the way i remember your mom always buying Girl Scout cookies from me, i can't believe they're $4 a box now. ;o
Oh, Friend. I love you. Remember: once you are family, you will always be family!! And also: NO.MUSTACHE.MARCH. Be happy, if for no other reason than that! Hahaha!!
Hugs and prayers,
Erika
I can only imagine how hard it must be. You have made some really BIG decisions and changes lately. Prayers that the sadness will soon lift and you will find joy in the new adventure.
Praying for you friend. Can't wait to see you and celebrate with you!
Have a happy birthday! I always love to read what you write (blog, fb, or otherwise).
Goodbye's are never easy. Will definitely be praying! And I hope you have a wonderful birthday! Family and friends make life so wonderful don't they? :)
Happy (early) Birthday!
Sounds like a brilliant birthday celebration is coming up! I don't like pistachios but my Mum does and always moans about the price of them!
Have a wonderful birthday, enjoy being so close to the beach, and remember that the only thing constant in life is change. (Hard as it is sometimes.) Have a great Wednesday!
Happy birthday early! (40 is the new 30!) And, good luck with the career change - and new opportunities!
I loved my 40's (except for the little body maintenance hiccups that seep in during that decade), but really life needs to be celebrated at every age. Enjoy! Your party sounds like fun!
Best wishes in your new endeavor. I'm sure it is all a jumble just now, but life will soon take on a new rhythm and you'll figure it out. Moving, the big career change, leaving the military behind...it's all a lot so be kind to yourself.
happy birthday a bit early
come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com
Change is certainly never easy, but with the right attitude and lots of prayers, all will be A-OK, I'm sure of it! Praying for y'all! Ahh...turning 40...I vaguely remember that. Enjoy this new, exciting chapter!
Post a Comment