Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A Mountaintop Hodgepodge

Ooh, I love this week's Hodgepodge!  It's as if Joyce knew how we had spent our weekend!  Quite a whirlwind, actually, but worth it.  Oh yes, completely worth it.  Without further ado, let's Hodgepodge, as we do each and every week!


1. When were you last 'on a mountaintop'?  You may answer in the literal or figurative sense.

Just this past weekend, my hubs and I drove to Flagstaff, Arizona, which is about 7,000 feet up - I know, most people don't think of snow in Arizona, but there you can get snow 9 months out of the year.  That is where we went to college, married, and had our first home, our first child... a lot of firsts, really growing into young adults.  It's still "home" to us, even after being gone for 13 years.  



2.  Do you establish and maintain a strict budget in your household?  What is one piece of financial advice you would offer someone just starting out on their own? 

We don't really maintain a strict budget - we just have a general knowledge of what our monthly expenses and income are, and what we can "afford" to spend extra on.  We do invest monthly, tithe regularly, and have insurance on everything.  My advice to someone starting out would be to take a Dave Ramsey course on finances and start out with common goals and understandings of how they were raised and how that impacts their view on money.  Oh, how I wish we had done that when we were young...

3.  Cherries-yay or nay?  Cherry pie, cherry cola, black forest cake, or a scoop of Ben and Jerry's Cherries Garcia...pick one. 

Honestly, I can take or leave cherries - I enjoy them, but they aren't really something I crave, you know?  But I do enjoy Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia... yummy!!!

4.  Should you ever discuss religion or politics with people you don't know? 

I don't see the harm in it - after all, what do you have to lose - and you never know when you may come across a point of view you had never considered, and vice versa.  I will say, though, that when you come across someone (whether you know them well or not) and they are so adamant on their point of view that there's no discussing anything else, then your energies are much better spent discussing other things.  Leave politics and religion alone with those types.

5.  When you take a road trip do you prefer to be the driver or the passenger?  Where were you headed on your last road trip? 

I prefer to split the driver/passenger responsibilities.  My hubs and I do a pretty good job of splitting it - which I love!  Our last road trip was to Flagstaff this last weekend!

6. If we peeked inside your closet, what color would we say is most prevalent?

I truly have a mix - but probably different shades of blue.

7. Who's your favorite senior citizen and why are they special?

This is a toss-up between my Granny (who I talked about in last week's Hodgepodge) and Chuck, the man we drove to Flagstaff to honor this last weekend - so since I gave tribute to my Granny last week, I'll talk about Chuck - he was a wonderful man, a mentor to us as an engaged couple back in 1993!  We met he and his wife, Ellen, at a church Bible study and he always told people that we got married in between the Old and New Testament of our study but still stuck with it, and with each other!  He was a retired Marine who had achieved the rank of E-9 (the highest enlisted rank) and had a smile that would brighten the room, and a deep booming voice that carried as he sang "God Bless America" and "Amazing Grace"  He played the saxophone and was a Marine band leader, highly decorated, and performed in front of 7 presidents and Queen Elizabeth as well.  But more than anything else, he loved the Lord... and even in these past couple of years when Alzheimers took away so much of the man we loved, he still would look around and tell everyone he met "Praise the Lord!  Amen!  Praise the Lord!"  He passed away looking at Jesus, trying to tell Ellen and those he loved what he was seeing...


May we all live our lives like him... praising God until our very last breath.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.


For Chuck...














3 comments:

Joyce said...

He sounds like a special man. I love that version of Amazing Grace.

Hope you're beginning to feel settled in to your new home and town!

April said...

Chuck definitely sounds like a man of God. Amazing Grace...one of my all-time faves! I've been to Flagstaff one time and I loved it there! My girls and I were really taken with the Native American vendors on the side of the road who sold jewelry. Wish we'd bought more!

Charleston Drywall Contractors said...

Veery nice post