Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Super-Dee-Duper Hodgepodge!


Hi friends!  Thanks for joining me in today's Hodgepodge - I feel like most the time, not much is said here, but it's a fun little read, and I love doing it every week!  And every once in a while, what I think is a simple question ends up being one that I debate within myself and bring up around the dinner table and we discuss and, well, this little Hodgepodge doesn't seem so little after all!  And with that... lets Hodgepodge peoples!

1.  In the USA this coming Sunday millions will be watching as the Baltimore Ravens take on the San Francisco 49's in the Superbowl.  What was the last event you attended that could be described as super?

Webster defines "super" as "something of high grade or quality, large or powerful in nature"  

So, hmmm... honestly, the first thing that came to me was my husband's final flight in the Air Force last month.  Well done.  Super emotional.  Super honored.  Super humility by him, by the fellows who flew with him, by the leadership who came to support him.  Super support by family and friends who came out in the freezing cold wind and took part in the ceremonies.

Simply... super.

2.  Share something you're a fan of these days?

Downton Abbey!!!!!

3. How do you feel about wings?  In case anyone is confused, I'm talking the edible appetizer kind.  What's your preferred seasoning on a wing-hot, mild, teryiaki, sweet and sour, other?  Do you make your own or is there a favorite place you like to go for wings?   

My husband and kids all LOVE wings... any kind... any time.  Personally, I can take them or leave them... but when I do have them, I love the teriyaki!  We like going to Buffalo Wild Wings.  (Although nothing compares to Grannys Closet, a bar/restaurant in Flagstaff, Arizona where we were college students and newlyweds - they had 10 cent wings.  You just can't beat that deal!)

4.  As long as we're talking sports today...have you followed the Lance Armstrong story?  Did you watch his interview with Oprah and if so what was your reaction to his confession and subsequent remarks?  

Well, since we don't have satellite tv, I get my news/gossip via the internet rather than watching it "live" - so no, I didn't watch his interview with Oprah.  Reading the interview, though, I have to admit that I am sad for him.  Not that he has been treated unfairly... but that he felt he had to live this lie for so long.  It is the epitome of one small (ok, not so small, but still...) lie snowballing out of control.  I can only hope that now he is finally at peace and can find forgiveness from those he hurt along the way.

5.  What's a question you hate to be asked?  

"Why is this happening to me?"

Sometimes... there's just no good answer... and when someone is dealing with a tragedy, there's just nothing else to do but hug them tight, pray hard, and cry along with them.

6. The coaches in this Sunday's big game happen to be real life brothers.  Jim Harbaugh coaches the 49er's and his older brother John Harbaugh coaches the Baltimore Ravens.  Were you and your sibling(s) competitive?  In what way? Are you still?  If you're an only child how did you handle competition growing up?  

My younger brother and I weren't outwardly competitive, as in "I'm going to beat you at this game or die trying" - but I struggled in school, and found that he always came behind me, with the same teachers and the same assignments, and he would do reports on the same subjects and get As, while I barely got Cs.  That was hard.  How do you compete academically with someone who is three years behind you in school?  We never really played board games or anything like that.


7.  What's your favorite game involving a ball and when did you last play?    

I love golf!  The last time I played was in August, before my hip surgery.  I hope that maybe this spring I can get back into it!

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

We've lived here for a month now.  And it's hard.  Really hard.  Truthfully, I'm exhausted by reaching out.  My kids are doing great in school, making friends, adjusting to the more challenging curriculum.  My husband is working hard, figuring out his new job.  The house is 90% settled.  But I am trying to figure out... how do you make friends?  I know that sounds silly... but, we've been in the military for 13 years.  You have an automatic social network, whether you want it or not.  You have common ground with everyone you meet in one way or another.  But here... I know no one.  I know... it has only been a month.  And yet... I'm desperate for someone that I meet to reach out and say "Hey, you want to meet for coffee?"  or "Why don't you join me at my book club?"  I'm an extrovert... I have no problem walking up to someone and saying "Hi, I'm new... where do you get your hair done? Where is the best grocery store? Will you be my friend?"  ok, maybe not that last one... I don't want to seem weird...

But let me just say...

If you meet someone new... whether it is at church, or school, or the grocery store... reach out.  It may be inconvenient to you at the time... but you may be that ray of light in that person's soul that they need so desperately.

Here's to making new friends... somehow... some way.

9 comments:

J.Day said...

My BFF and I were talking about that recently. That it seems to be harder to make friends the older we get. lol I'm more of an introvert, so it's even tougher for me to get the courage to go out on my own and meet people. But unless I want to be a hermit, I'll have to go out of my comfort zone at some point. That's one of my goals for this year, is to try a few new things and hopefully make a few new friends, too.

retired not tired said...

When my children were younger I found that we connected with the parents of their friends. Our children were involved in sports so we joined in. These days we are retired so we made friends by learning to ballroom dance. I have 2 friends that I have known for 40 years and it is hard work keeping in touch.

Kara said...

Yay for Downton Abbey! :) Moving IS hard and meeting new people harder. I sincerely hope it gets better for you. I'll be thinking of you.

Marla said...

Your question & answer to #5: So true!

Hootin Anni said...

OMGoodness...yes, that WOULD be super emotional...a high, and a low, and a "phew"....it's over. Now, a regular 'normal' life. Yes?

Susan said...

Your answer to the super questions sounds very very special. Life is a series of beginnings and endings.
I have just said a prayer for you as you continue to settle into your new home and make those important connections with women friends. It must be overwhelming at times. God bless you!

Tracy said...

I read a whole book about an woman who was in search of a new friend. She had lots of suggestions and living where you are there are online women's groups that are set up just for that. Try girlfriendsocial.com or girlfriendcircles.com. I am having to start over and I've lived in the same town for 25 years. Right now church is where I'm meeting women but it has taken me 3 years to get to that point.

Madonna said...

I agree its hard to meet people in a new place. I have been lucky in that everytime we moved to a new place we have had family near by. Church has always been a place for me to connect with others. I don't do well in a large church though because I am sort of shy so I get lost in the crowd. A small group fits me fine. Maybe at the PTA or something you can find one friendly face to chat with and hopefully that will lead to more friendships.

Joyce said...

It is hard. I understand this. I think you do have to put yourself out there, more than you might be comfortable doing. Join something-is there a newcomers club in your area? In time maybe you'll settle in to a church and make some friends there...volunteer for something at the school...some libraries have book clubs. Invite a neighbor for coffee. I've been here three years and feel like I am still quite often the one reaching out. Hopefully once your kids have some friends you can connect with some of those friends parents. I will be thinking of you.