Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Humberflopper Hodgepodge to You!

Ahh, ye' old Hodgepodge... a welcome break during this crazy week in which I am avoiding my kitchen like the plague (why, do you ask?  because it LOOKS like a plague has hit it... more on that later)  Join me friends, and leave a happy hello below letting me know you stopped by!  I need all the encouragement I can get right now!  (And yes, that's shameless groveling... don't judge me)

1. Noah Webster was born this week back in 1758....besides the online version, do you own a dictionary?  Do you ever use the hardback copy or is your hunt for a definition strictly online these days?
We do own a dictionary - several in fact.  But the main one we use (during Scrabble games and such) is a big Websters dictionary that my hubs was given when he went off to college.


2.  Should public schools ban Halloween celebrations?  What about other holiday celebrations currently under fire?
Oh for Pete's sake... everyone is so worried about everything these days.  (Although NOT worried enough about others as I mentioned in my "random thought" from last week's hodgepodge)  Anyhoo... do what we do, don't allow scary costumes, call it a fall festival!  Let kids enjoy being kids - life's too short.  As long as you're not promoting the devil - thankyouverymuch.



3.  What's your favorite 'dog' movie?  
Turner and Hooch.  (Trivia - did you know they used three different dogs to film that movie?  True!  I heard it in an interview with Tom Hanks!)


4.  When were you last somewhere you'd describe as 'too quiet'?
My friend Kendall's house last week - we had just finished visiting and we noticed it was really really quiet upstairs.  She said "Oh good, maybe J has fallen asleep!"  Only later did she tell me that in fact, he had made an, er, really big gross mess in the bathroom... all over everything.  Quiet houses and toddlers are rarely a good thing.


5.  Are you a neat cook or a messy cook?  In other words do you clean as you go or make a big mess and then deal with it later? 
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!  Oh my... ok... um... I, personally, am a medium cook - I kinda clean as I go, but I always have a mess at the end that still needs to be dealt with later.  But I never ever ever leave the mess for longer than an hour.  Unlike some people in my house.  More on that later.


6.  Did you hear about Felix Baumgartner, the skydiver who broke the sound barrier via parachute?  Was your first thought  COOL! or was your first thought CRAZY!  Are you adventurous? 
My first thought was that he was NUTS!  I mean, yeah his view was absolutely incredible... but yikes, how dangerous!  I'm adventurous, but not stupid.  I know my limits - and while I may push myself a bit, I'm not one to take crazy risks with my life.  I think every day life is pretty darn exciting just as it is.


7.  What's not a word but should be? 
Humberflopper.  Just 'cause it's fun to say.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.


Here we go... the explanation as to why my kitchen looks like a plague has hit it... and why I laughed maniacally to question #5.

In short, this week my husband and I are doing an experiment with the kids - only they don't know about it.  We sat them down on Monday morning and informed them that we were tired of having to tell them to do every little thing - empty the dishwasher, pick up their clothes, take the laundry upstairs, etc.  We needed them to take more initative on their own and not have to be told.  Now, these are great kids.  They really are.  If we ask them to do something, they do it with only minimal grumbling.  I just wanted to see how long it would take before they acted on their own to clean things up, put things away, etc.

So we have stopped cleaning up after them.  (I have been blogging about this - you can see the posts below)  But this is what my kitchen looked like this morning.

Prayers appreciated.


13 comments:

Joyce said...

I have no desire to skydive period. Not from 24 miles up and not from 24 feet up. Definitely not for me!

Looking forward to day 5 of your experiment...those pears should be really something by then : )

Lighthousegal said...

I too have tried the I'll just leave it till it rots thing. I can half way take the dirty clothes laying all around the bedroom and other rooms in the house, but I can't take the kitchen being a mess especially when it comes to dirty dishes in my sink or left with food in them.
It is funny though, these things used to be what my daughter and I had spats about constantly. But, now that she has moved out and living with room mates, she sees things differently. She is the one constantly fussing about things left scattered about and dishes not cleaned up properly. Of course, I have to tease her and tell her that she is just like her Mom.

J.Day said...

Your kitchen! HAHAHA! I just saw the pictures. I'm not sure I could stand it, I give you all kinds of props on that one.

Marla said...

I love your IDEA of not cleaning up after the kids, BUT who are you hurting more? Them or YOU? I would absolutely go crazy with a constant mess and finally just have to give in and CLEAN like a wild woman!!

Jocelyn said...

Oh wow! lol you have a super cool kitchen - it's awesome that you're teaching them early! The craziness will be well worth it!

Anonymous said...

Just saw the kitchen, and my word, what a kitchen! Isn't that mess just gnawing at you? I'd like to think the kids don't really notice how much of a mess they have created.

Susan said...

Our idea of 'too quiet' involved the same kind of 'oh no, where are the children' thoughts. Mine are just a memory now...
You are brave and strong to love through the mess to teach a valuable lesson. I pray that it works, and they will have a story (and a lesson) to remember. May God be with you. :)

Joyce Kaiser Shellenberger said...

Love the new word - humberflopper! It IS fun to say.

Tami AKA My Kid's Mom said...

All I can say is - good luck with that. I never had to tell my son to do those things but daughter would leave things laying around forever unless I made her put them away.

April said...

I am in total agreement with you on #2! I mean, loosen up, people! However, in today's world, I don't think that will ever happen. Your poor kitchen...YIKES! I think I would have had a mental breakdown over that one! ;)

Jhona O. said...

Humberflopper is very fun to say! Oh, your kitchen!!! I think it's great what you're doing and am looking forward to the outcome. Your piano room is beautiful. Light a scented candle, say a prayer and keep on keepin' on!

Erika Mehlhaff said...

Prayers and love, Friend...breathe...

Tami said...

Humberflopper. Sounds like something you'd say in German. Is there a true definition, or did you just make it up? :-D
Adventurous but not stupid - PERFECT! Love that definition of yourself.