Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Just Peachy!

You know, I can never get it right when it comes to the Hodgepodge - I'm actually just laughing at myself right now... because either I forget, remembering only at 10:00 am on Wednesday, at which point I know if I post I won't get any visitors - or I eagerly anticipate it, forgetting that Joyce is taking the week off (and rightfully so!  She works so hard for us each week!)  but I forget, and so check her blog several times before remembering!  Or today - where I checked the questions this morning... and only just now, at 11:40 pm remembered to do my blog!  Good grief... some day, perhaps, all the dates and times and such will align and there will be Hodgepodge blogging synchronicity... or not... ;-)

At any rate...  on to the Hodgepodge!  :-)

1. How often do you check the weather? How do you check the weather?

I've got to admit, I don't often check the weather - my hubby, who flies for the Air Force, is usually VERY well informed on what the weather predictions are!  So, I can always ask him!  Or, if not, then my handy dandy iPhone will tell me... or the Satellite Radio in my car... gosh we have it easy these days... ridiculous, really.

2. Since this is volume 84 of the Wednesday Hodgepodge, and since I (Joyce, that is - not me, I was 11 in 1984) got married in 1984, and since I'm attending a wedding this weekend it only seems right to post something related here.

"Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance. If the dispositions of the parties are ever so well known to each other or ever so similar beforehand, it does not advance their felicity in the least. They always continue to grow sufficiently unlike afterwards to have their share of vexation; and it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life."

Agree or Disagree. Why?

Ummm... is this an ok time to realize I missed the gene that absolutely loves all things Jane Austen?  I have a distant appreciation... but honestly, I kind of either nod off or argue internally with the characters in her books, which either way is exhausting.

But I digress.

I don't believe that happiness in marriage is a matter of chance.  For Pete's sake, why on earth would you marry someone who didn't make you laugh and smile?  Of course, when you marry, you should grow together as a couple, changing ever so slightly until you become a true unit - not identical, but complimentary.  With just enough conflict to sharpen what is really important, and enough soft edges to make it all work in the end.  As to "knowing the defects beforehand" - I'll admit that if I had known that this school teacher I was marrying would decide to become a fighter pilot 6 years later, moving us across the country every couple of years, and then, 18 years later, would choose another career completely different, I may have taken the road more commonly traveled, and run the other way.  But I am so, so glad I didn't.  Not knowing what you are up against has it's advantages sometimes.


3. Do you like to dance? Have you ever taken dance lessons?

Nope, don't like to dance.  Never have.  I did take a "Contemporary Dance" class in college... I thought I would learn how to dance in clubs, and instead I learned how to "Dance as though you are the color purple".  I am not kidding.  It was bizarre.  I did an interpretative dance about a battle between angels and demons, and I was wearing lingerie at the time.  Bizarre... truly...

So no, I don't dance.

4. Fresh from the oven peach pie or home made peach ice cream? Pick one.

Home made peach ice cream, bar none.  YUM.

5. Should people accept unfairness and learn to make the best of it?

I guess this depends on your definition of "unfairness".  If you are talking about an oppressive government or regime that tortures its citizens, women, and/or children - then no, unfairness should not be tolerated.

If you are my teenager, who neglected one of his chores and so his father woke him up at 5 in the morning to complete it, and yet complained that "it's not fair" - then I say, nope... completely fair... I shouldn't have to wake up to a sink full of dishes when you were reminded 3 times to wash them yesterday!  Awake with you, boy!  :-)

6. The top five all time summer movie blockbusters (released between May and August and grossing at least 100 million dollars) are-Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars (the original), Ghostbusters, and ET. Which one's your favorite?

You just can't get any better than Raisers of the Lost Ark.  "Snakes... i hate snakes!"  Classic, fun,yep...  

7. If given the chance, would you like to visit the moon?

oh yes!  I can't even imagine standing there, surrounded by absolute nothingness - just billions of stars, looking down on our gorgeous earth... what an awe inspiring moment that would be, to be oh, so aware of how small and insignificant my life is, and yet how precious my life is to God, that He would send His son to die for me.  Wow.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

This question goes out to all of you who are parents of teenagers right now:  How do you draw the line between allowing them to be a participant in today's technology - ipods, Skype, Facebook - without exposing them to the dangers that lurk within all of those things?  And how do you maintain their privacy, and yet protect them?  Sexting, mature games, messages from strangers...  it's so scary out there, and it's EVERYWHERE.  You can say that "if you raise a child right, He won't turn from it" but still, they are kids... they don't realize the dangers... and how precious this time in their life is, and how quickly it can be destroyed...  Anyone have any advice for me?  I'm really struggling with this right now.  Sigh.


8 comments:

Joyce said...

I don't think there is an easy answer to your question in #8. When mine were teens facebook was really just becoming popular and not every kid in the universe had a page. My husband and I weren't on then either.

I know we want to allow teens a certain amount of privacy and independence but let's face it privacy and facebook don't belong in the same sentence. Mine knew I would ask to see their page without warning on occasion. We had basic rules about time spent online, phones off during dinner and other family time,...that sort of thing. We talked a lot about not saying something to a person online or in a text that you wouldn't say to their face, etc.

I had my girls memorize Phil. 4:8 : ) Seriously, it was a good 'thought-check'. Know their friends too! I don't think you can read every text or fb message nor would you want to. I'm not sure it's healthy for parents to be that far into their kids brain if you know what I mean. My best advice is this-the teen years are a time to stay on your knees. I actualy wrote out a prayer specific to each of my girls and prayed it often.

And, talk to your teens a lot. Even when they don't want to talk, on the inside I think they're reassured to know you're in it with them. Continue doing family stuff together even if they complain they're too old...they don't mean it and the home remains their safe place.

Krista said...

I have no answer to your #8 but I can't imagine how tough it is! I am grateful that my children are young enough that none of this applies to them yet because it terrifies me! Best of luck !!!!!

Mary said...

I'm relieved to hear there's another woman out there who doesn't "get" Jane Austen! I'm trying to tackle "Emma" (it seemed like a good idea at the time1) but am just not getting it.
As for #8: I would get on the boys' facebook from time to time and go through their friends, and, if it was somebody I didn't know, ask them how they knew them. If they didn't know them IRL, I would have them unfriend them while I was watching. Talk, talk, talk. Unfortunately they need to be reminded of the dangers and the crazies out there. It's tough to know how tight to hold those reigns. Even good kids from good families can get into trouble. Oh, and pray, pray, pray! :)

Susan said...

My advice for #8 repeats what was said in the previous comments. Pray, talk, pray, teach, talk some more, pray constantly. :) It is indeed a scary world out there, and you are right, they are kids. They will make mistakes, and we will too. Thankfully, we have been given the grace of a big and loving God.
(And if all else fails, you can move to the moon) Lol :)

Tracy said...

We had our daughter do a presentation to us on the dangers of the internet before we would allow her to have a facebook/myspace account. The first rule was to not have any photos of herself on the sites. As she got older we allowed that.

We would occassionally go with her to check her facebook account and see if she knew all the friends. I would randomly pick out someone and say who is that.

We also made sure we had all her logins and passwords. I think I only checked once. We did check her browsing history a little more. She hadn't figured out how to clear that out.

jui said...

I'm totally with you on Jane Austen - I, too, missed that gene!

Erika Mehlhaff said...

Dancing on the moon eating peach ice cream with the kiddos = perfect way to keep them safe and have family fun at the same time!! :)

Sorry...I am having my own teenager-y technology drama and have the same question as your #8! Just had first iPod app review last night, by Dad, a week after getting the thing! A bunch of unnecessary silliness, but nothing horrifying according to him...sigh...

I'll pray for yours if you'll pray for mine!

Love ya,
E

Nikki said...

I would set up a good privacy program, also facebook doesn't allow people over 18 to see pages of kids under 18 i think. They change a lot so not sure if its true anymore.