Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Magic Mike Revealed...

It's Wednesday!!!  (Ok, actually, it's Tuesday night... because if I wait until Wednesday to post, then chances are I'll forget, or remember too late, and then no one will stop by, and I kinda really like it when people stop by and leave fun comments!  What can I say... I"m a words slut... my DH knows this all too well...)


heeheehee... anyway, on to the Wednesday (but really Tuesday evening) Hodgepodge!




1. The Summer Olympics begin next week and London is playing host. If you had the chance to go in person which (non-Olympic) London site would you most like to visit?

Definitely the Tower of London - the crown jewels,  the ancient history... so awesome!

2. What is something in your life right now that feels like an Olympic event?

Hmmm... nothing THAT intense... just facing a potential surgery that my insurance may not cover, and so I'm kind of gearing up for fighting them for that... does that count?

3. What's your favorite supper to prepare and serve when it's too hot to cook?

When it's too hot to cook, I throw everything on the grill - veggies, meat, pineapple, whatever... i absolutely love grilling because it can be done in any weather and is SO less messy, but even more so in the summer when it's so hot outside that just walking by the oven makes me sweat!

4. July 18th is National Get Out of the Doghouse Day...when was the last time you were 'in the doghouse'?

Um, I honestly can't remember... so either I have a really selective memory, or... oh wait, there was when I was buying our last car while my husband was in Afghanistan, and it was literally waiting at the dealership for me and I could NOT find the power of attorney that would allow me to purchase it without my husband's signature.  That was NOT a good day - and having to try and contact my husband to get a new POA from across the world... yeah... not good... but thankfully my bestie Martha came to my rescue and said "Huh, we usually keep ours with our wills and stuff" and that reminded me of where I had put it!  Phew!!!  Yea for Martha!

5. What television advertisement do you find particularly irritating or inappropriate? You may not answer with 'all of them'. I know some of you were thinking about it.

 ALL of the car salesmen who find that they have to YELL in their ADS to GET YOUR ATTENTION when all it does is make me want to turn the tv off and never ever ever buy a car again ever in life.  (For some reason these ads were particularly bad in the Florida/Alabama panhandle... oy...)

6. Share one piece of interesting news from the year you were born.

1973:  Roe vs Wade made abortion a US Constitutional right.  Sigh.

7. What's the best part of your average day?

Any time I hear my kids' laughter.  And then at night, when my DH is home from work and we are relaxing together on the couch, catching up from our day...

8. Insert your own random thought here.

I"m going to use this space just to say... I'm shocked at how many grown women I know, of all ages, who have been so obsessed with seeing the Magic Mike movie.  Getting together with their girlfriends to go see it, freely talking about how they are going to "get them some Mike"... 

and all I can say is... What if a movie was produced that was solely about the exotic dancing industry, only it was women who were stripping?  Would we be as 'understanding' of our husbands going to see this type of movie?  For talking about it with everyone about wanting to go see it?  Wouldn't we see in the media the outrage about how it 'objectified women as sex symbols and nothing else, this is just for cheap thrills' etc. etc. etc."  Now you could argue that perhaps this movie, and the popularity thereof, brings to surface the fact that yes, women are sexual creatures, and desire the excitement that comes from the body of the opposite sex... a fact that isn't always thought of when it comes to how women are portrayed...

But all I know is, if my husband said he was going out with his friends to see a movie that featured women stripping, instead of being home with me... I'd have a serious issue with it, and would wonder why he wanted such a cheap thrill.  Perhaps I'm being judgemental... I certainly don't mean to be... I just can't stand the hypocrisy of the media, who would rip a movie about female strippers to shreds, but would promote this one as "senseless fun for our women"


9 comments:

Krista said...

I am glad I am not the only one who is not rushing out to see Magic Mike and I think you raise some great points. I would not be thrilled either if it was a movie about women strippers and my husband was going. Too often there is a double standard.
Good luck fighting the insurance :)

Mary said...

I haven't seen Magic Mike yet, either. I don't like the "yelling" commercials, either...why do they have to do that?

Joyce said...

Fighting the insurance company sounds miserable. You will earn your medal : )

Susan said...

I agree that grilling is great year round, and especially when it's hot out. No, I don't plan to see Magic Mike, and I don't plan to read Fifty Shades of Gray either. I think there are better things to do with our time. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Have a great day!

Formerly known as Frau said...

I agree with your random comment.....seriously if the shoe was on the other foot we would be calling these men pigs! Great answers today! Happy Wednesday!

jui said...

I totally agree with you about the Magic Mike movie...

As for commeercials - the first thought I had was all the drug commercials (especially the gross ones) and then I thought about the mud slinging political commercials during election time. So, apparently, I really dislike commercials and am regularly thankful for my DVR!

Praying for yoru process with the insurance company! I hope it goes much more smoothly than you are anticipating!

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Why do you think salesmen yell in commercials? You can always hit the mute button. lol Have a great day!

Sherrie
Food for Thought

Erika Mehlhaff said...

For a while, I thought Magic Mike was gonna be a "feel good" movie of a very different kind...sigh...

Commercials for things that go against my conscience really irritate me...esp. when one of my kiddos wants to know what the heck they are talking about!! Sigh, again...

I feel like I have spent a lot of time in the doghouse recently, with all of the moving/new schools stuff I have had to deal with, even though I might not actually be IN the doghouse...maybe just heading to the doghouse...or standing in the threshold of the doghouse...or something...sigh...

I know: LET'S GO TO LONDON on an extended vacation!! Are you with me??!

Love,
Erika

Theresa said...

We are around the same age :) I agree about that movie.