Tuesday, June 12, 2012

It's a Scuba-Dooby-Do Hodgepodge



Yea, I remembered the Hodgepodge!  And a huge "HOLA!" to Ambre who reminded me at tonight's baseball game that tomorrow was Hodgepodge day.... and must I say, that you have not LIVED until you have seen a baseball game with little 5-year-olds, whose uniforms are all way too big for them and the bats are huge and their little legs are just PRECIOUS as they try to run their hardest around all of those bases!  Oh my goodness... preciousness...  Anyway, thanks Ambre for the reminder - on to the Hodgepodge! 

1. In what way are you your own worst enemy?

Geez... what a first question!  I would have to say that my standards are SO high for others who perform a service, at times it is hard for them to measure up, so I end up being frustrated.  So then I end up doing the deed myself, and then I play the martyr thing "Oh, if I want it done right I have to do it myself and I"m so overwhelmed... blah blah blah."  Not very often, but enough that I know I need to work on that.

2. Jacques Cousteau's birthday was Monday, June 11th...ever been scuba diving? Is that something you'd like to try? What's your favorite 'under the sea' creature?

First off, I absolutely love Jacques Cousteau.  What he did for the education and exploration of the oceans sets him equal with all major explorers, in my book.  (And a side note, his son does the commentary on the specials section of Finding Nemo and is hilarious!  "They never would have said this to my Papa"  hahahaha!!)  But I digress...

I have never been scuba diving.  I went snorkeling for the first time when my hubs, two sis-in-laws, and two bro-in-laws went to Hawaii this past October.  AMAZING.   And while my mind says I would like to try scuba diving, I would require a whole lot of training to get me comfortable enough with it... see the next question...

And oh geez, almost forgot the "under the sea creature" question - I love the dolphin.  I know, not very original, but they are SO smart and they love to play, and will actively protect you from sharks, especially if you are pregnant, and wow... SO cool... so they win on the "I love this animal" ratio!

But to eat?  (not sure which you meant)... I love scallops and shrimp.  Yum.

3. On a scale of 1-10, how comfortable are you in and around the water? (1=not at all, 10=very) Do you know how to swim and if so how and when did you learn?

I would give myself a 5.  

I can swim.  Just not for long periods of time.  And being out in the way open ocean would freak. me. out.  My youngest C is obsessed with sharks.  I know what's out there.  Nope.  No way.  Nada.  

I can snorkel.  In relatively shallow water.  But it's amazing.

My first memory is of being pulled under by a wave on the beach when I was 2 1/2 - I know that was my age because my mom was pregnant with my brother.  So I'm always a little nervous around the water - but I must say, my snorkeling experience in Hawaii was SO enlightening - I couldn't believe that this whole other world filled with coral and fish of all colors and sizes were all RIGHT THERE just feet away from the shore!  And if I had simply stayed on the shore sunbathing or wading in, I would have missed this whole other amazing world!  

So I'm getting there.  Baby steps, you know?

4. What's something you do to motivate yourself to tick an item off your to-do list?

I give myself a deadline.  Or a stern talking-to.  Or the military gives us orders and, wow, talk about incentive!  

5. What makes a good neighbor? Are you a good neighbor?

Oh, I love this question.  A good neighbor is one who introduces themselves to you when you move in.  Who you know you can call when you need help, and vice versa.  Who will water your plants when you are away.  Or will get a mouse out of a trap at 10:00 pm.  And is your friend.

I like to think of myself as a good neighbor.  I take meals, water plants, walk dogs, collect mail, and am friends with everyone I meet.  Moving every couple of years, you have to adapt pretty quickly to your new surroundings, and it's always kind of frustrating when people who live around you don't acknowledge your presence.  No kidding - we had people who lived next door to us in Florida, and they both worked and when they came home, they drove into their garage and closed the door and you never saw them or heard them at all.  We lived there for a solid year before we knew they had 2 children!  TWO!  Now, maybe we are just the "Hey, we're the Henrys with our 3 kids and we play outside and are loud and laugh a lot and HERE WE ARE!" type of people... but still... I couldn't believe that.  When we moved away they said we were so quiet... I cracked up!  'Cuz I wouldn't describe us that way!  They must have had really good insulation...

6. Who loads the dishwasher at your house? Is there a right way and a wrong way?

Right now we are in our summer chore chart season, wherein the kidlettes all share the chores, and that includes the loading of the dishwasher.  Big C does a pretty good job, Middle C usually does ok, and Little C... well, he needs some work.  I'm pretty particular about how it is loaded, but going back to question #1... I'm having to let that go.  In order to NOT be the one who does it all the time, which is what happens more often than not when they are in school.

But yeah, I wish they would all just see the way I do it, and do it the same way.  We would all be happier, I'm sure of it!  ;-)  

7. You know it's summer when_________________________.

It takes 4 hours to do 3 errands in the mall with 3 children and you leave wanting nothing but a full glass of Chardonnay...

But at the same time, you are playing in the sun, not quite as scheduled as in the school year, it is light until 9:30 pm, and seeing your kids' personalities are so fun...

So it's a wash.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

I really am trying to enjoy this part of the summer.  Not a whole lot going on.  Hubby working long bizarre hours, but at least he is home.  Because I have a feeling that the latter part of the summer will involve a whole lot of chaos!  So in the meantime, I'm loving the family time - we are going down to have Fathers Day with my in-laws down in Salt lake City, ice cream with the hubs when he gets home, library with the kiddos, church camps, etc.  So much fun.

I hope you are all having a wonderful summer so far as well!  :-)

12 comments:

Erika Mehlhaff said...

#7. It's a wash? What you meant was there's a lot more laundry, right?

;-)

Zoanna said...

So many funny things in one post. Love it. Oh, my. The full glass of chardonnay. Dolphins protecting you from sharks if you're pregnant--I'll remember that next time I get knocked up which will be...um...impossible. The neighbors with good insulation. Teehee.

Joyce said...

We'd be friends if we were neighbors. : ). Maybe it's because we've moved a lot too.

Cherie said...

5 Year Old baseball is the BEST! I could just see those little kiddos while reading your description. :)

Jocelyn said...

Love how your kids chip in with the chores during the summer :)

Mary said...

I miss those days of t-ball/coach pitch baseball. Okay, maybe not so much. I put in my time and I'm glad that's over!!! I went to see some twins that were students of mine during their game. It was too cute as they called my name running to the base!

April said...

I have to agree with you about snorkeling in Hawaii. We went there a couple of years ago and it was out of this world! I'd go back in a heartbeat just to snorkel, again!

LynnMarie said...

WOW what a lighthearted post today. Loved it all. So funny about the neighbors having good Insulation!

Krista said...

I am also very guilty of I will just do it myself so it is done right... my life this week is a huge example of this and of course the hubs is TDY and I am overwhelmed and kicking myself ...lol... some fools never learn in my case :)

Hootin Anni said...

"get a mouse out of a trap at 10pm"? Hmmmm. #7 reminds me of "Calgon, take me away". Family time is ALWAYS GOOD. Enjoy.

Tami said...

I get #1. I am very, very hard on myself and tend to be the martyr too. I am learning to let go and bite my tongue when something isn't done the way I want. I am trying to keep positive thoughts and tell myself: Gee I have a wonderful husband or great kids who want to help me out. Then I go and fix it.. LOL!

Conny said...

enjoyed your answers today - and totally identified with your #1 ... hey, maybe we'd be good neighbors if we lived side-by-side! :)