OK, so my blog title has nothing to do with this week's Hodgepodge questions. Lets just say it's late, I've had allergies pretty badly all day, and we just watched the movie Courageous and so I"m a sniffly snotty mess at the moment... so I felt like being happy! If you'd like to join us in our weekly Hodgepodginess (surely that's a word, despite the ugly red zig zag underline that's under that word at the moment)... join us over HERE!!! at Joyce's blog... it's a whole lot o' fun!
On to the questions!
1. My (Joyce's) daughter2 is graduating from university this month and plans to teach elementary school. What are three qualities you most want to see evidenced in a teacher?
On to the questions!
Creativity
Compassion
Courage
Creativity - using all manners of learning to teach lessons - music, art, hands-on-experiments/experience, as well as lectures, writing, researching.
Compassion - to see each student as a beautiful creation, prized and deserving of love, who also deserves the structure of a classroom to provide security
Courage - kids these days aren't protected by much. You must be their protector, their guide, and you must love them. If ever you stop loving your students, get out of the classroom.
2. You can tell a lot about a person by_____________________.
What music they listen to, and what makes them laugh.
3. What song makes you think spring?
This one! (And it just happened to be on one of our family's favorite movies, Cool Runnings)
4. May 1st is Mother Goose Day...share your favorite nursery rhyme.
My favorite simply because I sang it to all of my babies in my rocking chair...
Rock a bye baby
In the tree top
When the wind blows
the cradle will rock
When the bough breaks
the cradle will fall
and down will come baby
cradle and all
*disclaimer, I sang this too all of my babies, but I changed "baby" for their name, and I ended it with "And down will come baby to play with us all" What can I say - there are enough violent endings in the world!
5. What makes someone unforgettable?
Seizing the moment to be fully present and go the extra mile.
6. Should music and/or art be part of a well rounded education?
Absolutely!!! It breaks my heart that music and art are often the first programs cut from a school. We had the most amazing art teacher at our elementary school in Florida - I actually had my children's artwork matted and framed, it was so incredible! And music - teaches expression, math, boundaries, structure... it's a whole other world that sadly gets lost. My life would not be the same without music or art.
7. What social situations make you flustered or nervous?
Being put on the spot to ask questions about something I don't know about.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Today has been a day of truly thinking about being deliberate... with my time, with my money, with my friends, with my family. As I mentioned, we just watched Courageous together as a family - I laughed, I cried, and if you are a father, or are looking for a father's day gift, you absolutely HAVE to get this movie. Trust me. You won't be sorry.
Another friend posted a link to this blog as well today - about being a deliberate neighbor. Take a look - it's a quick read, but worth thinking about. Do you know your neighbors? Be deliberate, my friends... it's worth it.

10 comments:
Yes some of those nursery rhymes have quite the lyric!
Sorry about the link-so far no luck but I'm working on it. Rather the guy in charge of Linky is working on it : )
I agree totally with #1 and your song choice is awesome. (Another song that'll be stuck in my head) ;)
I like how you changed the nursery rhyme.
Have a lovely day. :)
I love that song, and that movie, I haven't seen it in forever, perhaps it's time to break it out again.
When I was a kid....I didn't like that rock-a-by baby...ending on such a sad note. Most of 'her' rhymes do tho, now that I think about it.
Love your answer that makes us know about a person ...and y'know...you're right!!!
REDHEADS
I totally agree with you on the art and music question. When my daughter was in her first few grades in school she had trouble with learning and remembering. Music helped her to do her work!
As for art we have some artist in the family it is a great way to express ones self. Here is my nephew's link to his art on facebook. check it out. https://www.facebook.com/SymbiontScenic
I love you answers to #1. So true. I loved the movie Cool Runnings. I could watch it over and over :)
Colletta
Loved "Courageous"...definitely ranks at the top of my fav. movies list! Rock-A-Bye Baby sure brings back a lot of memories for me...I, too, sang it to my girls when I rocked them to sleep. Precious times!
Every time Sally answers Hodgepodge questions, an angel gets its wings!! (Between you and the prophet eindshield replacement man today, I know both that God loves me and that He has a sense of humor!!)
Love ya, Friend!
Erika
Love your answer to #1...especially about creativity in lessons. It's my second year teaching, and we're trained to include lessons of all types to engage the different types of learners we have. Some are better with their hands while others are auditory and still others need to be mobile. It's tough planning lessons for everyone but well worth it when you nail it on the head for an especially hard-to-reach child.
I never understood why Rock-a-bye Baby had such a violent ending. I remember when I was little (like, maybe 5 or 6) we had to learn to recite Mary Mary Quite Contrary for a thing at my preschool, and I thought "cockleshells" was a bad word.
Post a Comment