Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Vacation Yet?



1. What is a pet peeve you have when vacationing?

I always forget something - whether it's a bathing suit for one of the children, underwear for me (yep!), or my husband's dress socks... oy... 

2. Would you describe yourself as a light packer or do you need everything in your closet plus the kitchen sink?

For my kids, I pack everything.  For myself, I always leave myself to the last, so as I mentioned, I'm more apt to forget things.  I do tend to bring quite a bit, multiple pairs of shoes, medicines, cosmetics, etc.

3. What's the best lesson a child ever taught you?

I was a nanny for a sweet family, and one day their 4-year-old looked at me and said "Sally, is this how you talk to your friends?  You should talk to me like you do your friends!"  and that stuck with me... that when talking with kids you don't need to talk down to them, but be authoritative when necessary, and the rest of the time, treat them with respect.  

4. Share one piece of advice you'd give a recent graduate as they attempt to enter the job market?

Smile - and don't be afraid to be quiet and learn from those who have had their jobs for many years.

5. What's your favorite lemon something?

The Lemon Raspberry Cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory.  Oh. My. Heavens.


6. Flat sandal, wedge, heel...your favorite footwear?

Flat!

7. What do you like best about a beach holiday? If you're not a beach lover (GASP!!) what do you dislike the least?

The sound of the ocean waves, the smell of the sea water and sea weed, the caw caw of the seagulls overhead... ahhh, bliss...

Probably what I dislike is the sandy mess - which can all be washed away (mostly) by the outdoor shower, so really, what IS there to complain about? ;-)

8. Insert your own random thought here.

I have a 14-year-old sweet boy.  Sweet.  Intelligent.  Loves God.  But can NOT for the life of him understand the ins and outs and whys of laundry and doing dishes.  I know, I know... of all the things to complain about... but I saw this comic the other day and couldn't help but bust out laughing... :-)  I love you kiddo!

11 comments:

jen said...

i like your answer for #3. and i don't like sand either!!

Janyce said...

I agree with you on #3. That is a smart 4-year-old. :)

April said...

Wow...what a powerful lesson from a 4-year old! I absolutely LOVE ZITS! When you have teens, you can definitely relate well to it. I have a ZITS desk calendar sitting by my kitchen sink, so I read one every morning. Gets my day started off on a good note!

Hootin Anni said...

#8....my advice to you....100 years from now it'll make no difference. [I live by that]

Around here the sea weed odor can be quite strong and nauseating if the wind's just right. But I still 'put up with it'...'cause it's the best time for finding drift seed!!! LOL

Your answer to #3 --- I love it.

OUTDOOR SEASIDE SCULPTURES is my link for today.

Hope your Wednesday will be a glorious one, all day long!!

collettakay said...

Ohh! Your lesson learned hits home. I also know what you mean about packing for everyone!

Here's my hodgepodge:

http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2012/05/wednesday-hodgepodge-5912.html

Colletta

Veronica and Daniel said...

Children can be so wise! I love it. Also, now I need to make a trip to the cheesecake factory ;) Yumm!

Kate Maxwell said...

One trip when our girls were little, we made it to the airport and standing in the check-in line. We have 3 kids and their suitcases - garment bag, purse... and where's our suitcase?! We left a week's worth of clothes at home! Hello Target!

Hopping by... here's my HodgePodge.

DD said...

I am SO glad I'm not the only one who has forgotten underwear.... it seems like such a given but apparently I forget the important things.

Erika Mehlhaff said...

I am a master at packing light, esp. when the vacation is to Hawaii!! It is a little more difficult when we head to Tahoe, esp. since unlike "normal" people, I personally need about twice as much stuff: two pairs of wool socks per day...ski gloves with liners (even though I don't ski)...wool sweaters for over my other sweaters......

That lesson from your little 4 year old friend is priceless! I learn big lessons from kids every day. One favorite is to consider that my perspective is not always that of those around me, and that I should consider things from as many other angles as possible before acting. Of course, that is a lesson that comes from many corners of my world; but it hit home and has stuck because of one night about 8 years ago. My son, who was about 3 years old at the time, had a nightmare about monsters. When I tried to comfort him by reminding him that monsters aren't real, he said, "Just because it isn't real, doesn't mean it isn't scary!" Touche', Boy Wonder; touche'...

Anonymous said...

LOL on the comic! Boys need EVERYTHING spelled out! I have an almost 18 year old, and I almost feel as if I need to remind him to brush his teeth and use shampoo and soap. I'm not kidding.

Joyce said...

I'm trying to catch up a bit online...thank you for your kind thoughts regarding my niece.

I love the cartoon : )