Wednesday, November 23, 2011

It's a Thankful Hodgepodge!

Yea - our pause in the middle of the week to ponder the hodgepodge questions and, for this week anyway, sit for a moment and ponder all that we are truly thankful for as we prepare to celebrate Thanksgiving tomorrow.  May your day be blessed!

Now, without further ado - on to the Hodgepodge!

1. Let's start with something controversial...dressing or stuffing? What's it called at your house and what's included in your recipe...cornbread? oysters? sausage? chestnuts?

At our house it is called stuffing.  My recipe (as are almost all of my recipes this year) are coming from the Pioneer Woman - and I can't wait!  My stuffing recipe has cornbread, french bread, sausage, mushrooms... oh my, I'm hungry just thinking of it!  If you want your tummy to growl right along with me, you can find the recipe here!

2. Who do you sometimes compare yourself to?

lately, I've been identifying myself with Frankie, the mom character from The Middle - my DH has even started calling me "Frankie" every once in a while... what can I say, with a teenage boy, a middle child girl, and a young son, our family just resembles this tv show one... way too much... :-)


3. When were you last inside an airport?

The end of September when we welcomed members of our squadron home from Afghanistan!

4. What is one side dish that absolutely must be included in a turkey dinner?

Cranberries!

5. What Christmas song do you dread hearing?

Any Christmas tune sung by the Chipmunks.  There just isn't enough wine in the world to make them tolerable.

I'm just sayin...

6. If someone approaches you and asks for money do you give it to them? Do you drop money 'in a tin cup' that belongs to a person on the street? Do you have a specific charity you support during the holiday season and/or year round?

If someone approaches me, I will go buy them food or fill their car up with gas, if the situation allows.  I will rarely just give money.  We support several organizations year round - Habitat for Humanity, Mission Aviation Fellowship, Compassion International, Voice of the Martyrs, a dear friend who is a missionary in Brazil, and our church.  During the holidays we donate items to families in need, either through rescue shelters, angel tree, or Samaritan's Purse.

7. Share a favorite Thanksgiving memory. If you live in a country that doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving share a favorite memory associated with food.

Bar none, my favorite Thanksgiving memory is being at my grandparents' house.  I was sitting at the "kids table" and my uncle came to sit with us, and we started "roasting" the marshmallows from the sweet potato casserole over the candles that were burning on the table!  The laughter, the warmth, the memories... Love it!

8. Insert your own random thought here.

I have typed and re-typed this "random thought" about 5 times now.  I keep bouncing between being serious, and being funny.  It's good to have a balance, after all.  And there is a time and a place for both.  

My husband has been home now for two months from afghanistan.  The squadron that replaced his has many of our friends - men and women who are away from their families, fighting a war that is far from being over.  My husband is home.  He could have easily been one of those who didn't make it home.  Too close for comfort, actually. And so, as we gather around our table, I will look into his eyes and thank God that he did make it home, and we are so... so blessed.  And we will thank God for being with our troops who are still over there serving, and will pray for their families as they celebrate without their loved ones at their table.

Take time.  No matter what your background, your political opinions, your religious views... stop and tell those around you that you are thankful for them.  That they matter to you.  Don't take each other for granted.

Whew - so, apparently the serious, contemplative side won out on this "random thought"  But random thoughts worth pondering, indeed.

So, to lighten up, here's a lighthearted Thanksgiving song just for you!  Happy Thanksgiving, friends!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sally..Loved reading your blog! Yes, we all have things to be thankful for, some more than others, and I hope/pray we will all try to bring hope & happiness to those less fortunate or alone at this time of the year. Happy Thanksgiving & Many Blessings to you & yours. Janet

Theresa said...

You have a beautiful family. Thank you and your husband for his service to our country. Happy Thanksgiving!

Jamie said...

Great post! And that song... too funny! lol ;) Happy Thanksgiving Henry family!

Unknown said...

My niece is over there right now, so thanks for remembering. Hope you all have a wonderfully blessed Thanksgiving day.

Joyce said...

So glad your hubs is home and thinking of all those separated from family this holiday season. I love the video...it always makes me laugh. Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

What an extra special Thanksgiving you're going to have this year...with your husband so recently home. Praise God for a safe arrival home!!

Nikki said...

agreed about the chipmunk song,, when i was younger I'd say 'is this even English?"