Finding rest? Yes, Lord. Keep Calm? Yes Lord.
On to the Hodgepodge!
1. How do you typically react in a sudden, extreme, pressure-filled crisis? Would we want you nearby in an emergency?
I am one who works well under pressure, and somehow just know what needs to get done. Afterwards I may look back and think "How in the world did I get through that?" but in the midst of a true emergency, yep, I think I'm pretty put together.
For example, When we were stationed in Mississippi, we were caught in a micro-burst that leveled many parts of the town. My 3-year-old and I were in McDonalds with another friend and had to take cover in the McDonalds bathroom (I know... EWWWWW!!!) My friend was hysterical, and I could see that the kids were picking up on her fright - so I quickly sat everyone down and started singing Barney and VeggieTales songs, distracting both the kids and the moms. We got out of there safely and afterwards looked back and thought, perhaps I should have been more frightened, but instead I took control of what situation I could take care of, and I did it.
2. Caramel apple-caramel sundae-caramel corn-caramel macchiato...of the four, which carmel treat would you choose?
Can I add one here? Am I allowed to do that? I absolutely love the Salted Caramel drinks at Starbucks... ohmygoodness... YUMMY!
If I have to go with what is on the list, then caramel macchiato is the closest to what I mentioned above! :-)
3. Is there such a thing as destiny? Explain.
Oh geez, to go from "what's your favorite caramel" to "how do you define destiny"? Good grief! Ummm... ok, hold on... switch tracks... take a sip of coffee...
I think everyone's definition of "destiny" is different... if you mean "destiny" as in "God is in control of everything and yearns to draw us closer to Him by revealing His glory through our life events" then yes, I believe in destiny... but more importantly, I believe in God - my maker and creator who loves me with a love that is completely incomprehensible and He delights in me and is my Abba.
If you mean something more like karma, or a "what will be will be" type of attitude, then no... believing in something so obscure leaves you empty in the long run, because it is not God. No matter what you call it.
4. What's your favorite piece of furniture? I'm referring to something currently in your possession as opposed to something on your wish list.
My corner china cabinet that belonged to my great-grandmother.
5. Wednesday night marks the start of the 2011 Baseball World Series. Did you know? Do you care? Will you be watching? Ever been to a professional baseball game? If you're not an American do you find the title 'World Series' annoying or amusing?
Nope, had no idea. I don't ever watch baseball on tv, but I have been to several professional baseball games. I grew up in Los Angeles, and so the Dodgers games were always fun (and affordable!) to go to. We also went to an Atlanta Braves game when we were visiting Georgia a few years back. And I'll be honest, I have never given any thought about the title 'World Series' and what that might imply until now. Thank you, Joyce, for giving me something to muddle over while I am on the airplane tomorrow! ;-)
6. A sound that takes me back to my childhood is____________.
Marching bands. That may sound odd, but growing up in California, our city had a huge parade every year. The music program in our school district was (and still is) one of the best in the state, and of course, we were just blocks from the Rose parade every year. So I grew up going to parades, and watching marching bands, and then when I was in jr and senior high school, I was in marching bands as well and even got to march in the Rose Parade my senior year. I loved it. And I can't hear a marching band now without remembering the sounds and smells and sights of the parades I attended growing up.
In fact - here is a clip of a documentary currently being done on my high school!
7. On average, once you've linked your hodgepodge post to mine how many other participant blogs do you visit? Do you ever come back to the Hodgepodge later in the day or even the day after to read posts?
It depends on how crazy busy my day is, but there are several that I have made a habit of visiting, and the same goes with mine - it's fun getting comments from the same people each week, I feel like we are friends even though we have never met! But yes, I almost always do check back later in the day to see who has posted.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Sometimes, plans change. When you least expect it. We have been planning a trip to Kauai with my in-laws, and my two bro/sis-in-laws. 8 of us. In Kauai. One week. No children. (I believe I just heard the Hallelujah Chorus in the background)
And then came the call on Monday morning. My mother-in-law was having emergency surgery on her eye for a detached retina. And they can't go to Hawaii. And not only can she not go on the trip with us now, but she has to stay in her bed on her stomach or side for an entire week. And our hearts are heavy. Oh, how she needed this trip - these past 9 months have been so hard with the passing of her mother, my husband's deployment to Afghanistan, her eye problems (this is her third surgery in the last 6 months)... this trip was the light at the end of the tunnel.
But instead, she is in recovery from yet another surgery. But her eyesight is saved. What if she had waited? She might have lost her eyesight forever. She would have spent the entire time miserable, frustrated with her eyes, worried and fretting.
The bro/sis-in-laws and my hubs and I are still going on the trip. But a huge part will be missing. Our mother and father-in-law. Who planned and made this trip possible for us. Sigh.
It doesn't make sense. But (referring back to question #3) God is in control. He has planned this time right along with us and knew the outcome before we did. And so, we go.
Psalm 32:7 "God is my island hideaway, keeps danger far from the shore, throws garlands of hosannas around my neck" (MSG) Aloha!
8 comments:
Sorry to hear about your MIL--we will say a prayer for her recovery. Enjoy your time in HI!
So sorry to hear that you in laws are unable to make the trip.
Though, I am still happy that you both are able to get away and do this trip. You equally need to getaway! So, I pray that you are able to soak up some sun and get some much needed R and R, my friend!
I hope you are able to enjoy your trip & I will say a prayer for your MIL.
sorry to hear about your mil...god is in control in all things. enjoy your trip!
Oh...your comments on my blog were so sweet!!!! Thank you!!!
I can see why we visit each others' blogs. We answered several of the questions the same way...even with the Starbucks drink!!
Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. Poor dear. I know you'll bring her some lovely surprises, but it still won't be the same. :(
Sorry to hear your bad news :( Hope you and the rest of the family still manage to have a great time while you are there. Praying for recovery for your MIL.
You are so sweet to think of your MIL. A lot of DIL's have nothing kind to say about their's, yet along putting her needs above their own. She is very blessed to have you as a DIL and as you say, God is our refuge.
Aww, so sorry for the disappointment. I hope you have a wonderful trip and make lots of special memories. I'm sure she wants you to enjoy your time together as a couple. Aloha!
Post a Comment