Do you ever find yourself in a bizarre situation where all you can do is laugh?
For example...
Today I had to go to the doctor. Now, living in this huge military community, all of our medical needs are met at the Navy Hospital. This is where Clarissa was born 7 years ago, and as a result, I had a wonderful relationship with my doctor, who I saw regularly during the two years we were stationed here.
This time around, I've only been to the doctor twice, no make that three times, twice by perfectly normal doctors and once by a strange woman who spent the whole time talking about how glad she was that she never had children... oh well... you can't choose who you see when you call for an appointment, in fact, when you call you have no idea if your doctor is a man, a woman, or the latest lieutenant to not make it through medical school...
Today I had to be seen for a relatively sensitive topic, so I wasn't really looking forward to the visit. But I got shown in to the room and was left with two gowns to put on. And this is where I cracked up... because seriously, WHO designed these things? (Let me digress for a moment - my first ob/gyn in Flagstaff had soft, flannely exam gowns and she ruined me forever!) On the lovely pea-green things I was given today, there were snaps and ties and none of them seemed to go to each other... and which was was the front, and which way was the back? Where was the "Size M, wash on delicate" tag to clue me in? If I put it on where it opened, well, lets just say there was a LOT too much of me exposed... so, I did what any self-respecting woman would do... I turned it around.
And when the doctor (thankfully a woman) walked in, there I was, with "PROPERTY OF US GOVERNMENT - NOT FOR SALE" stamped across my chest!
I was laughing so hard... surely she thought I was being seen for a mental condition... but after I explained what I was laughing at, she chuckled too and went on with her exam.
And, because I know my mom reads this and will be duly concerned, my health concern will be promptly taken care of with antibiotics. Maybe I'll spend my recovery time designing new exam gowns!
3 comments:
I got a good chuckle out of this, Sally. I didn't have a very high opinion of the naval hospital while we were there because I got some Doogie Howser doc who had never before in his life prescribed birth control pills...he gave me a prescription for one month. Just one. Of course, I've had soem Doogies here on Kadena too...one of them told me that my knee hurt because I'm getting old. What the heck?!
Too funny. I thought I was the only lady never educated on the proper way to put on an exam gown. I am relieved to know I am not the only one.
For sure - you know, I consider myself to be relatively intelligent, and while problem solving on the cuff may not be my strongest suit, that gown was WAY beyond me. Seriously...
Post a Comment