Friday, December 5, 2008

A growing Perspective...

I know it has been a while since I've posted... sorry about that... we've been busy busy with the various holiday preparations and activities - all fun stuff, but still... busy busy!

Our oldest son, Caleb, turns 11 this weekend. So hard to believe - he's getting so big, trying so hard to figure out grown-up issues like the elections and economy in his 5th grade mind. I think he's beginning to realize that things aren't always black and white (in fact, they rarely are) and that needs to be OK with him. Seeing him struggle is hard, but after all, that's what growing up is all about, and it will make him stronger in the long run. One great insight came a few days ago when he was really, no offense, being a royal snot. So Duane and I told him to take a break and go ride his bike around the neighborhood. Oh sure, he fought us on that one too, but eventually he did, and when he returned he was in a much better mood and as we talked about it, he said "You know, going on that bike ride, it just made me feel good to have control over something." Whoa... that's some perspective - there may be hope yet! :-)

1 comment:

The Pittmeister said...

Aah, the transition from a dualistic worldview to one of multiplicity. Good Luck!