Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Welcome to the 2015 Hodgepodge

After a week off (so that Joyce could, understandably so, be all involved in her daughter's wedding - God-winks and all!)  So welcome back Joyce - thanks for hopping back in to the Hodgepodge!


1. What's your best piece of advice for a newly married couple? I'm asking for a friend.

Laugh.  Play.  Breathe.  Enjoy each other.  Don't take the little disagreements too seriously - you've got a lot of years to learn how to be a couple.  Love this, and every, season you are in together.

2. Before we're too far into the new year I wanted to post a question Teresa submitted during the December giveaway. Teresa blogs over at Being Refined As Silver, so everyone go say hi.

Teresa asks, "What were you doing on December 31st, 1999?"and "Did you or your family make preparations for Y2K?"
Hi Teresa!  Good question!  We were in Salt lake City, visiting our in-laws for Christmas, and we drove around looking for a bar to have a drink in... which is VERY HARD TO FIND IN SALT LAKE CITY, I'm just saying... it was really funny, actually.  We ended up in some very sketchy neighborhoods, then gave up and went back to my in-laws and played cards and drank all of their wine!  Good times.  And nope, no preparations for Y2K... though my brother-in-law's neighbors apparently buried gold in the hills to prepare.  Funny.

3. According to Global Language Monitor, the most used word of 2014 isn't a word. It's the heart emoji. Huh? How can something that's not a word be the most used word, but I digress. What do you think was your most used word in 2014?

Sad - I think this just shows how much we text rather than actually speak to each other.  It really is an issue - I'm talking more and more to my kids about this.  How to actually communicate.  Sigh.

So, MY most used word? I have no idea... I just know I spent a lot of time in prayer! 

4. Speaking of words, it's that time again. Time for Lake Superior University to present a list of words they'd like to see banished (for over-use, mis-use, and general uselessness) in 2015. You can read more about the decision making process here, but this year's top vote getters are-

bae (before anyone else), polar vortex, hack, skill set, swag, foodie, curate/curated, friend-raising, enhanced interrogation, cra-cra (as in crazy), takeaway, and -nation (a suffering sports suffix).

Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add?
If I have to choose, I'd say "polar vortex" - mean, really... can't we just call "winter" WINTER and be done with it?  It's WINTER - it's cold, it's unpredictable, some years are worse than others, good grief... 

5.  January is National Hot Tea month? Are you a fan? Do you like flavored teas? How do you take your tea? Have a favorite cup or teapot? How many cups of tea do you consume in a given day? 

I do love tea, though I don't have it every day.  Peet's Coffee, ironically, has an excellent tea selection!  I like flavored teas, and it is fun to experience different flavor blends!  I usually take it plain - sometimes with honey, depending on the flavor.  When I'm sick, there is nothing better than vanilla chamomile mixed with honey and a shot of whiskey or bourbon.  Mmmmm... clears the chest and lulls me to sleep!  

6. Whatever happened to________________________________?
common sense.

7. What is one book on your must-read list this winter? 

Call the Midwife!

8. Insert your own random thought here. 

Without going into all the details, will you please pray for baby Everly, born two weeks ago with OI - brittle bone disease - she is the cousin of dear friends of mine, and she has the most severe case you can imagine.  Her parents knew about her disease before she was born - they were urged to abort, but did not, trusting that God has a purpose for her little life, no matter how short or difficult it may be.  And now... It looks like she will not make it, friends... and her parents and family, strong believers all of them, are so strong, so honest in their updates, but still... I can't imagine the pain they are going through, looking at their chubby beautiful girl who is so broken and undeveloped inside.  Please pray.  For her, for her medical team, for her parents, for her family.  Her mama got to "hold"her for the first time tonight... but even that was with pillows all around and very limited movements.  Oh, the thought of not being able to cuddle your baby that you felt move within you... my heart is breaking for them... please pray. 

4 comments:

Joyce said...

I'm drinking Peete's Coffee as I read this morning : ) I'm so very sorry for your friends, and admire their bravery. I will add them to my prayers today, and know God can bring peace even in the middle of something so hard.

Unknown said...

Yes, it's winter! Unless the sky has something 'vortex-y' happening with clouds and a meteorologist, it's just winter. Good newlywed advice :)

Farin

Jui said...

Your friends are in my prayers. It seems that this has been a season of grief and hardship for many around me - yesterday I came across a song that I have heard before - but has lately taken on new meaning called "Blessings" by Laura Story - perhaps you've heard it - but if not, it gives a very interesting perspective. (http://youtu.be/1CSVqHcdhXQ) May your friends experience God's mercy and comfort during this time.

On a different note - I really appreciated your answer to number 6. In October, I visited a local pumpkin patch with my sister's family. At the entrance was a sign that read, "Caution: This is a Working Farm. Your Common Sense is Greatly Appreciated" If only I could hang this sign all over!!!

Erika Mehlhaff said...

I miss you. I feel like having some wine and tea and spending this polar vortex--I mean, winter--talking about marriage and praying for babies IN PERSON. Grateful, though, for the internet connection. Ok, so now that I am finished being pathetic...I will pray for the little baby and her family! I read that and thought about her purpose...and then immediately thought of Kid President! Dancing it out for Everly, as KP might suggest!! <3