Tuesday, December 2, 2014

the 200th HODGEPODGE??!!!

Whoa!  How did we get to the 200th Hodgepodge?  That is crazy!  a HUGE shout out to our friend Joyce, who somehow figures out new topics each and every week for us to talk about!  I've met some great friends through this Hodgepodge, and I'm counting on a Hodgepodge retreat sometime in the future, where we can all meet face to face!  Hey, a girl can dream, right?

In the meantime, lets head into our 200th Hodgepodge!!!





1. What is something in your life right now that feels a little 'hodgepodge'?

The definition of "hodgepodge" is cluttered, random, somewhat confusing, not adhering to a particular theme.  So I would say our living situation is a bit "hodgepodge" - my hubs working 2000 miles away, three kiddos in three different schools with three different schedules, our landlord just put our house on the market, and our renter in North Carolina just informed us that he is moving in April, which means we need to put our house on the market.  Yeah, a bit hodgepodge right now!

As my pastor said, "God isn't done writing your story yet" and I replied "Yes, I'm glad... but I'm also a little tired of the plot twists at the moment!"  :-)

2. What does 'peace on earth, goodwill to men' mean to you?

Hope in a greater peace, one that can only come from God, from the quest to get along, even if it means compromising.  Goodwill to men... get over yourselves, look to a higher cause, and be kind.

3. Which edible treat you are most looking forward to sampling this December?

My mother-in-law's carmelitas...which we had at Thanksgiving... and for the FIRST TIME IN 20 YEARS I discovered her secret... all of these years I have been frustrated because mine never came out as thick and awesome as hers... but I now know her secret... She DOUBLES the recipe, every single time!  NO wonder why I've been carmelita deficient for 20 years.  

4. It's that most wonderful time of the year...do you agree, and if so why is it so wonderful?  If not, what would you say is the most wonderful time of the year?

I do love this time of year - I love the lights, the decorations, the music, the attention people give towards charities and such.  I do wish that people paid the SAME amount of attention to charities, helping others, etc all year round.

5. What was the last word you looked up in a dictionary (actual or online) and why?

Um, perhaps I should have done this, oh, 199 posts ago... but I actually just looked up the definition of Hodgepodge (online) just to be sure my definition was the same as what it really means!  Turns out it was!  Woo hoo!

6. Besides a Christmas tree, what is your favorite thing to decorate this time of year?

I love my mantle, and, in this house, the landing on our stairs.  I've never really done anything much with the landing, but I've been reading "The Nesting Place" and she talks about simply moving things around in your house, using what you already have in new locations, to decorate for different seasons.  This was my inspiration - as I moved the clock from a dresser, and the family Bible from our piano, and the Santa from my xmas decor box, and put them together with the artificial plants that always reside on our landing.  I think it turned out very cool and old-timey looking!  (It looks much better in person than in the pictures)


7. Share one thing you've learned (about yourself, people, or anything at all) in the Wednesday Hodgepodge, or through blogging in general. 

I love connecting with the same people each week, and meeting new friends and developing true friendships, even with people I haven't met in person, but just have a kindred spirit with them.  We pray for each other, we send cards outside of the Hodgepodge, we celebrate with each other, we cry with each other.  It has been a really cool community to be a part of, and I am thankful for that.  

8.  Insert your own random thought here

If you are looking for some new Christmas music, I highly recommend this new album - I heard about it from my friend Melanie Shankle.  OK, true confession time - she's not really a "Friend" - I just own her books and follow her blog, and know that if we met we would instantly be friends in a very non-stalker kind of way... But anyway, this album is so fun and it's only $4.95 on ITunes right now... can't beat that!  I'm loving his sound and his renditions of these Christmas tunes.  have a great week, friends!
Shaun Groves - Christmas Vol 1

5 comments:

Joyce said...

I love Shaun Groves music : ) I like your vignette on the landing. It does have an old-fashioned feel, which is lovely. Good luck with all the house issues you have to deal with in the next few months.

Cranberry Morning said...

I hope you can get over your carmellita deficiency. lol I like your homey and nostalgic landing decoration! Good idea to move things we already have around in the house.

April said...

Carmelitas...that's, actually, my aunt's name! I've never tried one before. Bless your heart on all you have going on. As I often remind myself...God WILL get you through it!

Nikki said...

Love the decor! I can't believe we're at HP #200 ! I thank you for introducing me years ago. Its something I look forward to weekly. Take care!

Zoanna said...

Mince alors, your vintage vignette on the landing looks wonderful. A great hodgepodge of household treasures for the season. Did you use "mince alors" today at work like you vowed to? :O) What was the reaction?

A bloggers' retreat--yes! But if that doesn't pan out in the next year, I am determined (which , in this house you must pronounce "DEEder-mined"--inside joke) to meet up with you somewhere, somehow. IN that non-stalker kind of way, of course!

Seeing your comments and reading your posts every week is a highlight in the humdrummery here!