Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Flying through the Hodgepodge!


1. Time magazine has selected The Ebola Fighters as their person of the year for 2014. Do you agree, and if so who would you say is a close second? If you disagree with their choice, who do you think should have been chosen? 

I have a confession to make.  I wrote my answer to this question last night without reading the Time article.  Ugh - how could I do such a thing?  Make a hasty response without knowing the facts?  The worse type of journalism.  

Then I saw my first blog comment, from Joyce.  And I was humbled... and immediately went to read the article.  And you know what?  Despite my opinions on those who were careless when they returned home, I'm pretty darn happy that Time decided to honor people who are doing good, putting themselves in harms way, seeing a need and going to help.  

Thank you, Time, for your decision.  And thank you, Joyce, for reminding me what true journalism is.


2. This question comes to you courtesy of Susan who blogs over at Stew Mama Says. She knows we have a wedding happening any minute now, and she asks, 'What's your favorite-something old? something new? something borrowed? something blue in your home?  Be sure you hop over and say hi to Susan today! 

Something old: my china hutch, which once belonged to my great-grandmother.
Something new:   my new throw pillows I got for our couch.
Something borrowed: the surfboard we borrowed from a friend at church!
Something blue:  My comfy pajama pants!

3. Fudge-yay or nay? Your favorite flavor? Do you make it yourself? With nuts or without?  

Um, yeah!  Chocolate please, made by my mother-in-law.  
Because she rocks at many things, making fudge is one of them.  
Nuts - I can take them or leave them.

4. December 17th is Wright Brothers Day, commemorating the first successful flights made by Orville and Wilbur Wright in 1903 in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.  How old were you when you made your first flight? Do you like to fly? Have you ever been to Kitty Hawk or other parts of the North Carolina Outer Banks? 

Believe it or not, my very first flight was when I was 18 years old - from Los Angeles all the way to Australia!  talk about a long flight!  I don't mind flying, as long as it goes smoothly!  There is something to be said for being able to get across the country in one day!

5. Do the people in your family tend to follow a particular career path, and if so what's the path?

Nope, we're pretty scattered... in my husband's family and in mine we've got lawyers, accountants, farmers, biologists, computer geeks, preachers, realtors, etc.

6. What is one thing you absolutely, positively must accomplish today?

This blog! hehehe...

Followed closely by my gifts for my fellow staff members.

7. This Christmas I hope___________________________________.

that my friend April's daughter, Abby, comes home.  Suffice it to say, it's so hard when your young adult kids become confused and mislead about what is important, and make decisions that you know are bad ones... and all you can do is pray, and wait, and pray some more... sigh.  Love you friend...

8. Insert your own random thought here.

I've hosted 3 holiday parties in the last 4 days.  I'm pooped.  I'm done.  BUT - my lovely housecleaners come tomorrow (seriously, the best pampering!), my son's holiday concert is tomorrow night, my hubby comes home on Friday for two weeks (!), Christmas is next week, and, HELLO, my hubby COMES HOME ON FRIDAY!!!

:-)

7 comments:

Joyce said...

I agree there were some who were careless upon returning to the states, but the article was more about the workers there (Africa) in the trenches.

Thank you for your sweet comment on Monday's blog post : ) I hope you enjoy every minute of your two week holiday with the hubs! Merry Christmas!

April said...

Sally, I broke down in tears when I read your answer to #7. Bless your sweet heart! That is my wish, too. Thankfully, Abby texted me the other day and told me she would spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with us, then go to her grandma's house in SC with us for the next two days. We are so excited! Maybe, just maybe, this is the beginning of her seeing the 'light'. Keep praying, my friend...God is at work! Love you back!

Susan said...

Wishing you and your family a wonderful Christmas, and a blessing on your time together with your husband at home.

Zoanna said...

I teared up at your answer about Abby, too. How thoughtful! I hope she comes home, too, and to Jesus in repentance.

Woohoo is RIGHT for HUBBY time! I can see your eyes twinkling all the way from the left coast to the right one!

Merry Christmas from Hanukkah Zoannukkah. :) Loved your comment. It was definitely a heart change done by God because I am one stubborn turd.

Nikki said...

Aw #7.. you're so sweet! I hope for that as well! I think most of us love fudge on here. I am not much on adding things too it like some like to do. Have a Merry Christmas! Is it raining where you live? We need a break from it!

Erika Mehlhaff said...

<3 Christmas Season Love <3 from me to you, one of my very most dearest of dear Friends of this lifetime ever! I am so happy for you to ALL be together for Christmas!! Between your hugging and the kids' hugging on Duane, please squeeze in a few from us! And whomever Abby is, I will keep her in prayer.
Love you!!
E

retired not tired said...

Have a healthy merry Christmas.