Tuesday, October 14, 2014

So now I know what I'm making for dinner tomorrow...

Happy fall y'all!  It has finally dipped below 90 degrees here (I'm kind of tired of my summer wardrobe, to be honest... ok, all you northern folks can throw a snowball at me now... and REALLY, First World Problems... but I"m just sayin... enough already!)  So to celebrate fall, I'm buying out the Pumpkin Spice Eggos from our local Target - let me just say, they are AMAZING, and I"m a just a little alarmed at how much I am loving them.  Seriously.  I need to get out more.  And for all my local friends, yes, you can blame me if Target is out of them.  I'm a working mama with 3 kiddos and a hubby working 2000 miles away.  Give. me. the. pumpkin. spice. waffles.

I may need serious help. ;-)

So without further ado, lets join Joyce with her weekly Hodgepodge!  Click on the link below to see what the other Hodgepodgey peoples are saying this week!  it's fun!


1. What's your favorite time of day? Why?

My favorite time is early morning: I'm the most creative at that time, I do my best writing and studying, I really do get the most done.  Especially when the house is quiet, everyone is still sleeping, and the air is crisp and cool, no traffic noise outside, no drunk southern lady yelling behind our house (I'm not kidding), etc.  Evenings are my worst, simply because I'm exhausted and my creative juices are NOT flowing.

Right now it is 10 pm, people.  You've been warned.

2. Waffle iron, toaster, coffee maker, mixer, blender...which small appliance would you say most needs replacing in your house? 

Definitely our blender!  The one we have is from our wedding (20 years ago) and it simply refuses to die... and it doesn't blend all that well... but I can't bring myself to get rid of it simply because it doesn't blend quite as well as it should, ya know?  And I don't actually blend all THAT often... but maybe I would if I had a better blender... but who am i kidding... I probably wouldn't... even though so many of my friends blend DAILY using all kinds of vegetables and fruits to feed their families and their kids have no idea there is kale and cauliflower and broccoli and broccolini and beets in this freshly blended juice because HELLO, it's a DRINK and somehow they all drink it down as though it is the best carbonated sucralose dye-infested beverage EVER, not realizing that it will prevent all cancers and reproductive health issues and hormone imbalances in their entire lifetimes.

So maybe I should get a new blender.

Or not.

See, this is why I should only do my writing in the early morning.

(And just a disclaimer, I really do think that those who blend/juice daily are awesome, and my pithy attempts at making fun of juicing is really just a shabby cover for my own insecurities.  Carry on.)


UPDATE - you guys, seriously, I posted this blog, and then logged onto Facebook and a friend (whose hubby just bought her a really really expensive blender this last weekend) just posted this SNL sketch.  And I died laughing.  Because I had just blogged about it.  Like, 30 seconds before.

So here you go...

Sarah Silverman - Vitamix

3. It's National Grouch Day (October 15)...what's something that makes you feel grouchy?

A sink of dirty dishes that are still there when i get home from work.  Sigh.

Maybe I'll invest in more paper plates.  

Who says I can't problem solve at 0h-dark-hundred?

4. Ever been to Canada? Is that a country you'd like to visit? According to Trip Advisor, the top ten best destinations in Canada are-Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City, Victoria, Calgary, Niagara on the Lake, Niagara Falls, Whistler, and Halifax. Which city would you most like to see?

I've never been to Canada, and honestly, none of those places are on my destination list... though I'd like to go to Prince Edward Island and see where the Anne of Green Gables series was based on.

5. What was your favorite food (or one of your favorites) when you were a child? Is that still a favorite?

Chicken divan casserole.  Yum.  (Hey Jui and Christina, do you remember requesting this as our graduation dinner?  We were so weird.  And yet... I kinda want some now...)

And my Grandma Claires' garlic bread - oh how I wish I had her recipe!

6. Do you cry easily?

Not generally, but certainly there are more times when I'm more weepy than others... hormones, missing my best friends, missing my one best friend who is in Heaven now, missing my grandma and papa... missing my hubby when he is so far away... and when I feel simply overwhelmed by the constant stuff on my shoulders.  yeah, it gets a bit overwhelming at times... so i cry, and then i feel better!

7. Have you started your (gasp!) Christmas shopping? If so when, and how much? If not, when will you even begin thinking about it?

Oh geez... OK, I'll admit it, I've bought one thing.  A stocking stuffer for one of my kids.  Other than that, nope.  I'll start thinking about it the first part of November.  As in, actually buying things.  I'm just making mental notes right now.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

So, before my Women's Retreat last month, several of us read the book "Choosing Joy" by Kay Warren.  This is one of her quotes from the book, and it has been resonating with me ever since.  Truly. Awesome.

Enjoy!



8 comments:

Joyce said...

Fall is my favorite season, even if it does signal winter is on it's way. I love living where the seasons change, although spring could definitely show up earlier than she does : ) My youngest daughter always asks for chicken divan when she comes home. And the whole Anne of Green Gables trip is worth the trek to PEI...if you were a fan of the books like I was anyway. I loved seeing the island where the stories were set.

Erika Mehlhaff said...

Howdy! 3 Things: 1. Why in the world do we need Nat'l Grouch Day? We will use it to celebrate OSCAR! :) 2. I love Love LOVE chicken divan...but never make it. 3. I miss you.

Friends forever,
E
p.s.--Tell the 3 C's Ms. Erika says to do.the.dishes. And do not eat their Mama's waffles under.any.circumstances. And that I love them. <3

Cranberry Morning said...

I think that joy is something we have in spite of our circumstances, when we reflect upon what God has done for us. The book sounds like a good one!

I wonder if I've ever had chicken divan. Not sure.

Zoanna said...

Okay, my West Coast TWin, there is SO much I could say about this post now that I've finished laughing at Sarah Silverman and the nut butter blender after your commentary. Man, I so totally don't enjoy a $30 blender hassle, there's no way I'd upgrade. It's just as much work, eh?

I have the perfect trip planned for us: this fall, like next week, right after you watch your kids wash the dishes, Let's chow down on some pumpkin waffles on paper plates, then take a road trip through scenic New England because we don't have the glorious colors just yet (summer was too wet) , then we'll hop aboard a flight to PEI and make a special request of the flight attendants: a well-blended smoothie, please, followed by chicken divan and a fluffernutter sandwich. Meanwhile we tell funny stories to each other while we hold back tears (to keep them from running down our legs) . Deal?

D&S said...

here is the recipe for Chicken Divan - in case y'all have images of chickens lounging around on divan sofas with remotes in their hand like SOME people (ahem, Zo!) do...

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/broccoli-chicken-divan/

Valerie said...

I would love to see Prince Edward Island too. =) That chicken divan sounds yummy.
Great answers.
Blessings,
Valerie

Nikki said...

I want a new blender too, the one i have is so noisy compared to the new ones today.

Jui said...

Thanks for the shout out!! Of course I remember that - it is still one of my favorite meals :) Though our recipe had curry and lemon juice in it - so it is a bit different than others out there.

While I've been to Canada - I'd love love love to visit PEI because of Anne :)

thanks for the fun post this week!