Hey there friends! I'm so glad to be back with our Wednesday routine of Hodgepodge - a huge shout out to Joyce who comes up with these fun questions every week! Let me know you stopped by, then scoot on over to Joyce's page to see what the rest of our Hodgepodge friends are saying... it really is fun!
1. Are the leaves turning color where you live? Have they begun to fall? Will you have to rake when it's all said and done? Is that a chore you love or loathe?
Nope, I live on the beach in southern California - not a whole lot of changing colors where I live, which I'll admit I really do miss at times - in Northern Arizona I used to love seeing the peaks change colors as fall would come. Same with Boise - the drive into the city would be absolutely gorgeous as the temperature dropped and the leaves changed.
But, this is my view 90% of the time, so I guess I can't REALLY complain...
And yeah, no raking required (not a chore I particularly love)... just the vacuuming of beach sand! Hehehe...
2. When did you last shake like a leaf?
Can I be all "California" and say, the last time I was in an earthquake? :-)
3. After 20 seasons with the NY Yankees, Derek Jeter played his last official game Sunday afternoon. Jeter has been described even by opponents as a 'class act', both on and off the field. The NFL is back in action this month too, with several players in that sport also making headlines. What are your thoughts on athletes as role models? Should a professional athlete be expected to act as role model or is that going beyond their job description? What responsibility do the organizations these athletes work for have when it comes to dealing with off the field behavior? Discuss.
I don't think you can deny that athletes will always be role models, whether you think they deserve to be or not. Anyone who is in the public eye like that will naturally be looked up to. And yes, I do expect them to behave in a manner that is worthy of respect - of course people still make mistakes, but for Pete's sake, if you know you are a public figure, treat others kindly, don't go to the skanky clubs, don't take nude pictures of yourself, and don't ever forget that in a heartbeat you could be without the fame and money you have.
I don't think you can deny that athletes will always be role models, whether you think they deserve to be or not. Anyone who is in the public eye like that will naturally be looked up to. And yes, I do expect them to behave in a manner that is worthy of respect - of course people still make mistakes, but for Pete's sake, if you know you are a public figure, treat others kindly, don't go to the skanky clubs, don't take nude pictures of yourself, and don't ever forget that in a heartbeat you could be without the fame and money you have.
And the same goes for the organizations that hire these people! Sheesh! If you can't hold your players (your employees) to a high standard, then you've got some 'splainin' to do!
4. What season of the year is toughest for you in terms of your health? Why?
Thankfully I don't have a rough season, especially here where the weather is pretty much the same year round. But in other parts of the country I've lived, spring was a bit of a challenge with the pollen in the air and allergies. Don't miss that!
clean eating (more veg, less meat, less sodium, limit alcohol and processed foods)
trash fish (you know those fish that get caught in fishermen nets and are thrown back? It seems chefs are finding creative ways to make them more appetizing)
cauliflower (this year's IT vegetable)
kaniwa (essentially baby quinoa, so like quinoa only smaller)
fermentation (think pickling except with twists on flavor we're not accustomed to)
community supported food (farms operating with community support/membership).
Okay-so how many of the hot healthy food trends for 2014 have you experienced, encountered, enjoyed? Any you've tried and said ewwww? Any on the list you'd like to try before year's end?
Hmmm, I've heard of clean eating, cauliflower everything, and community supported food... but not the others. I can't imagine a grain smaller than quinoa! Why would the baby one be better? Or worth the trip to Whole Foods to find it? I would like to try the community supported food...
6. In seven words or less, bid September adieu.
Went too fast - Holidays approaching - ACK!
7. What's something on your October calendar that makes you happy just thinking about it?
My hubby's coming home for 10 days! And then again for Halloween with the kiddos! Yay!!!
8. Insert your own random thought here.
My pre-teen daughter has been a bit of a challenge lately. Not only to myself, but to her brothers as well... but this morning, as she burst into tears on the stairwell because of a Starbucks misadventure (very silly thing)... I, instead of completely losing it like I kinda wanted to, knelt down to her and hugged her, and said "Sweetheart, I love you... don't let this ruin your day" and I left for work. Notice - I DID NOT STRANGLE HER, which is what I felt like doing after she was so rude to me. So there - I loved my daughter by not stringing her up by her toes, which is certainly what she deserved. To my mom - let me go on the record by saying "Let me apologize for being a twit 29 years ago."

11 comments:
Wow...that is some kind of view you get to enjoy! Lucky you! Oh, for me, dealing with a pre-teen daughter was a walk-in-the-park compared to dealing with one who's about to turn 18. Thankfully, we are making some strides, for which I'm very grateful. Did I recommend a book to you? It's helped me so much. It's called "How to Discipline Your Child Without Losing Their Love and Respect". I highly recommend it. Such wonderful news about your hubby coming home for an extended visit!
As much as I love fall and all the changing colors and falling leaves, I would really enjoy living somewhere with a view like you have!
Parenting is a challenge. Love how you reacted to your daughter.
Blessings~
As much as I love the beach if I lived there I'd have to head to the mountains now and then. There will be more 'Starbucks' days with your daughter. I think if you can just keep hugging when you want to scream you will be okay. It's a very confusing age for girls who can't decide if they're big or little. Keep pouring on the love!
Got to love the pre-teens and look out for the teens.Hugs for everyone!
You have a beautiful view, but I would miss the different seasons.
I so agree with you about sports figures. You said it better and more succinctly than I did!
Good luck with your preteen. I love my kids, but sometimes I wondered if I'd get through those ten years or so.
Oh yeah, that's why I don't want to live on that gorgeous beach: earthquakes! Oh well, every place has its drawbacks. And who else has such a gorgeous view. Breathtaking!
Happy for you that your husband gets to come home for a few days!
Ummmm...I love this blog entry. Not sure why, but everything about it makes me smile...mini quinoa and all! Please hug every member of your family a little bit extra for me!! And add an extra high five to Big C! And a beach walk with Middle C! And a game of tag with Little C! And a glass of vino with D! Happy October, my Friend!!
Love,
E
No, you cannot complain! That is a great view! ;-) I am going to miss the views from where we live when we head to Texas. *weep, weep* California may not have a lot of change in colors like other states but I sure love the views here.
How funny about cauliflower being the "IT" food for healthy in 2014. I don't think I've bought any this year. My kids won't eat it and it's not my favorite veggie.
Miss you friend! Loved your hodgepodge.
P.S. I just added some of our views to my recent blog post. I am definitely going to miss it here. :-(
My niece Audrey is a kind of the same way, she'll be 11 next month. She does the occasional eye roll, snarky face etc. I guess its what they all do at that age. I remember being there too, wasn't pretty!
Post a Comment