Tuesday, July 1, 2014

America's Hodgepodge


Whoa - we're on Hodgepodge #180!  I can't believe it - way to go, Joyce!  Thanks for stopping in, friends - have a great week!


1.  Speaking of 180...when was the last time you 'did a 180' on something?

Choosing to pray for someone instead of wallowing in anger, resentment, and desires for revenge... definitely a conscious 180.

2. It's Independence Week in the US of A! What's your favorite thing about America right this very minute? Favorites only! Let's hear what you love about America.

If you're playing along today, and you're not an American but have been to America, what do/did you like best about this country? If you've never been to America, do you have any desire to visit? What's the number one thing you'd like to see?

What I love about America:  That we have this


and this

and everything in between




3. Stars or stripes? Red, white, or blue? Watermelon, homemade vanilla ice cream, or blueberry pie?


Definitely stars!  Blue!  Homemade vanilla ice cream!

4. When did you last see stars, figuratively speaking?

If you're talking about the "bang my head so I see stars" - I can't honestly remember

If you're talking about the stars in the sky, we can actually see them here because the ocean breezes keep the skies clear!

If you're talking about Hollywood stars - I was getting my nails done last spring and Meryl Streep sat across from me!  I KNOW!!!

5.  'Clear as a bell', 'with bells on',  'lots of bells and whistles', 'saved by the bell'...which phrase 'rings' truest for you lately?  Have you ever seen The Liberty Bell?


Well geez, the only thing I can think of now is this:


And no, I have never seen the Liberty Bell.

6. Are you caught up in World Cup fever? Have you watched a lot or a little or none at all?

Yes - I have loved watching the World Cup!  My daughter is on two soccer teams right now, so we're kinda into the whole soccer thing!  And my boss is a HUGE soccer fan, so we've even had the World Cup playing in our staff lounge on occasion!  So much fun... and a great bonding time for the staff as well.

7. Bid farewell to June in 10 words or less.

Oh my, please let July be gentle.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

In the last two weeks I have had three individuals unleash all of their bitter frustrations on me over the phone.  (Two were personal, unwarranted attacks, the other was situational) And I've left each time feeling battered and abused.  So here lies the difficult situation where I feel like I need a "thicker skin" so that when people come at me in their red zone, I can respond in a calm manner and not let their abuse destroy me, and yet, I don't want to become hardened.  

Any advice?  

11 comments:

Nikki said...

i picked 'Saved By the Bell' too! ;) Have a happy and safe 4th of July! Are your parents still attending the Sierra Madre parade?

Zoanna said...

Can't help smiling--on number 3, you and I are 3-for-3 in our answers! And Meryl Streep at the same nail salon?? Really?? Did you say hi? What color did she choose? Did you play it cool?

As for the incidents of attacks, so sorry, friend. No advice other than how you answered for number 1.
I'm not very thick-skinned either.

Cranberry Morning said...

I love the photos you chose to represent America. Your 'random' is a tough one. The only advice I know to give on that is to immerse yourself in prayer over this - again and again. Very hard for anyone, let alone one with a tender heart. I don't think though, that fielding these incidents in the manner you wish will make you hardened. Surround yourself with prayer and loved ones who support you. Then these things will make you more like Jesus, for He never became hardened. And then, be there for me when I come to you with the same issue - because it's lots easier to give advice when you're not on the receiving end of someone's anger. :-) I will be praying for you.

Joyce said...

I've been in a volunteer position this year where I say I feel like the dog everyone can kick. Ugh. It's been hard. I have no great advice, but as it happens I've been reading the book of Proverbs this year, and I have to say it has encouraged me so much in the areas of strife, conflict, holding my tongue, forgiveness. Just a couple of verses a day, but it's amazing how they are so practical in dealing with people. I too hope July treats you kindly!

retired not tired said...

I usually let someone vent since I am really not the cause of their frustration. Sometimes seeing things from their point of view can help even if you don't agree. I worked in a call center for a telephone company and got yelled at a lot.

WW said...

Beautiful photos.

Unknown said...

Just popping in from Joyce's Hodgepodge post. You have some excellent answers, some similar to mine. I love the pictures. We do live in a beautiful country. You have a safe holiday weekend.

Erika Mehlhaff said...

In random order of address: I love your America photos (and you!) so much! Seeing stars? How 'bout the LOVE kind of stars? I LOVE the LOVE kind!! I have seen the Liberty Bell...I think you should come this way and we can go see it together. Two soccer teams? Really? How did I think it was one? Go, Middle C!! Advice: prayer...call me...more prayer...and remember those people aren't abusing YOU; they are runaway trains, and you can be the engineer who helps them slow down--even if they treat you more like a speed bump. Getting along in life bruised and battered: good thing we know the Healer so well! Thanks, by the way, for your prayers this way...still need 'em; keep 'em coming...love you...you're really the best...and hugs to the fam...and high fives...and plane tickets to visit me...and stuff...

Wow, crazy response, but I mean every word...

Love,
E

April said...

Amercia truly is BEAUTFUL! Love your photos! So sorry to hear that you've had abusive encounters with folks over the phone. I can only imagine how difficult that must be for you. My daughter's boyfriend has come close to doing the same to me a few times...the latest was last night over a text message. I chose to take the high road and not give in by responding back, though I wanted to. Praying that all gets resolved soon.

April said...

Oh, and I'm still reeling from the whole Meryl Streep encounter!

Rebecca D said...

Abusive people seem to lurk in every corner for me these days too... I don't know if I have developed a thicker skin but as I survive each attack I grow more assured I can survive the next... I will pray for you!