1. Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they'd like to see banished from the Queen's English. Words may be banished due to misuse, overuse or just general uselessness (go here to read more about how the words were chosen). Here are the words/phrases they'd like to see banished in 2014-
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add?y'd like to see banished from the Queen's English. Words may be banished due to misuse, overuse or just general uselessness (go here to read more about how the words were chosen). Here are the words/phrases they'd like to see banished in 2014-
selfie, twerk/twerking, hashtag, Twittersphere, Mr. Mom, T-bone, ____on steroids, the suffixes-ageddon, and -pocalypse added to anything and everything, from the world of politics the words-intellectually/morally bankruptand Obamacare, and from the world of sports the words-adversity and fan base
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add?
Ugh - can I say all of them? No? Hmmm... Personally, having NO love whatsoever with Obamacare, I'd like to abolish THAT... but, in general I think twerk is not a word that adds anything of value to our world. It just makes me think of "jerk"... which, kinda applies too.
2. What one unfinished project nags at you begging to be completed in this new year?
I have GOT to finish my son's first year photo album. Never mind that he's almost a decade old. I KNOW... Mommy fail... big time... gonna do it!
3. When did you last have a bowl of soup? What kind? Homemade or from a can? What's your favorite soup?
I made chili this weekend from scratch. Ground turkey. Tomatoes. Peppers. Cheese. Sour Cream. Lettuce. Deliciousness. My favorite soup, though, is a chicken tortilla soup that I make in the crockpot.. SO good, especially on chilly nights! (Ok, Ok, I'll put the recipe at the bottom!)
4. Snowed in, snowed under, snow job...which one most applies to your life in recent days, figuratively speaking.
Snowed under. A bit overwhelmed these past couple of weeks with the holidays, plus a health scare for myself, plus family issues and job drama... oy...
5. What's the funniest movie you've ever seen, or at least one of the funniest?
Christmas Vacation. Hilarious. We watch it every year at least two or three times during the Christmas season! It never fails to make us laugh - and I love that even our kids quote it now!
6. In general, would you say you're clumsy?
No, not generally!
7. Elvis Presley was born on Hodgepodge Day (January 8th) back in 1935. Are you an Elvis fan? What's your favorite Elvis tune? If that's too hard, which Elvis tune do you dislike the least? Click here for a list of his songs.
Not really an Elvis fan - he was before my time a bit! But I DID live in Columbus, Mississippi, where the only thing to do is drive up to Tupelo, Mississippi 20 minutes away, which is where Elvis was born... in a two bedroom house, that now has a museum and gift shop attached. So, i've been there. If I have to pick a favorite Elvis tune, I'll choose "Don't Be Cruel" - fun song!
8. Insert your own random thought here
Here it is - my chicken tortilla crockpot soup... it's good, it's easy!
1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken, cooked and shredded
1 can (15 oz) petite diced tomatoes
1 can (15 0z) enchilada sauce
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (4 or 7 oz) chopped green chilies
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups water
1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen white corn
In crock-pot, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high 3-4 hours.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut 6-10 corn tortillas into strips, drizzle oil on them, mix around to cover, and sprinkle with salt. OR, just serve with tortilla chips and call it good!
Serve tortilla strips with the soup, then garnish with jack cheese, avocado, sour cream, cilantro, etc.

8 comments:
Gotta try the soup recipe. Sounds yummers. Health scare? Oh my. Hope you're okay!
I would love for this to be the year we get to meet, somewhere, somehow, in person!
PS Meant to say I like your new blog look. It IS new, isn't it? Or am I just woefully unobservant?
Soup sounds delicious. Hope you are okay.
Thanks for the recipe! I used to make a soup that is similar, but I don't know where it is, and since I got a new crockpot for Christmas, I'm looking for new recipes!
Christmas Vacation is one of my favorites, too, along with Elf (which I never even watched this year!).
Your recipe is similar to mine. I put Rotel in mine instead of the tomato-enchilada sauce combo and it's good too. One of my favorite soups! We put tortilla chips in the bottom of the bowl and top the soup with a squeeze of lime, sour cream, shredded cheese, and sliced avocado.
May there be peace in your January!
I'll have to try your soup. It sounds great! Hope things are going well for you. Have a great day!
Thanks for sharing the recipe. It's soup weather around these parts! :)
Well look at you being #1! :) Anyway i'll have to try that soup, we've been looking for a recipe close to the tortilla soup from Chevy's. Me being the youngest i don't thing i even had a baby book! ;(
Happy new year to you!
Post a Comment