Tuesday, June 11, 2013

It's a happy Summer Hodgepodge!

Welcome to this week's Hodgepodge!  Thanks for stopping by - hop on over to Joyce's blog, where this all begins every Wednesday, and join in on the fun!


1. What do you think makes a good dad?

A good dad is one who sets a good example for his children, both in providing for them with security but also setting a moral standard they can ascribe to.  A good father is wise beyond his years, plays with his children, and treats his wife with honor and respect, and expects that his children follow his example as such.  A good father also admits his failings and surrounds himself with strong men to lead and guide him.


I love this picture of my hubby with our younger two kiddos during spring break... he is a truly wonderful father.  


2.  What's something you learned from your own father?

To check all of the fluid levels in my car, and the tire pressure, before leaving on a trip.  :-)


3. It's your birthday-what kind of cake will we be having?


Ice cream cake!  

4. When you're faced with a big decision are you more of a go with your gut type of person, or are you someone who reasons it all out, weighing the pros and cons? 

I definitely reason it all out, pray incessantly, seek guidance and wisdom from trusted friends and family.  

5. June is National Dairy Month. What's your favorite dairy item? Most often purchased dairy item? 

See the answer to #3 above!  :-)


Most often purchased item, however, with three kiddos, is milk!

6. Explorer Jacques Cousteau was born on June 11, 1910....what's something you've recently discovered or something you'd like to explore?

I'd love to visit Greece, Ireland, Italy... some day!


7. Are you typical of your generation?

Probably... as a part of Generation X, there is definitely a big difference between my generation and that of my parents and grandparents.  I've always had technology woven into my life, I grew up in the 70s and 80s, with more latchkey kids as a result of dual income families, and, I'll admit, have more the mentality of working to live, rather than living to work, as it was in generations past.  Whether that's a good thing or not remains to be seen.  



8.  Insert your own random thought here.


So school ended here today.  The kids are pretty excited, of course!  And it will be nice to have a more relaxed schedule!  But in the meantime, so that the house does not completely take over, I have created a chore chart for the kiddos.  There are tons of kids in our neighborhood as well, but the other night as we sat down for dinner, the doorbell rang every 2 minutes with another child asking if ours could play.  Oy!  So I got my "crafty" on, and with some Pinterest help, made a sign for our front door.  

Here is the sign I made:  


I thought they turned out cute - but my hubs isn't so sure if we should actually use it - says it seems a bit rude (of course I maintain that having our doorbell ring every 2 minutes is a bit rude as well) - Thoughts???

And here are my three kiddos on their last day of school... hard to believe, what a crazy year this has been!


And yes, that is my daughter, sticking her tongue out at her brother's head.  Pretty indicative of how our summer may go!  (Hence the chore chart!  hehehehe)






14 comments:

Anonymous said...

The door sign is ingenuous!!! I say use it. It gets the point across without you having to have say no face-to-face. You could even try adding one of those clocks where you turn the hands so kids can see what time your children WILL be available.

Enjoyed your answers. So glad your husband is a positive role model for your children.

Nikki said...

i love those door signs! :) Hope you and your family are doing well. Duane does sound like a pretty awesome father.

retired not tired said...

I think the door sign is a good one. Knowing when the kids are available is a good plan.

Laura Anne said...

Door signs are great! It sounds like a great idea to me.

But maybe if it's possible get kids to explain that the signs are going to happen so it's not just a big sign without warning one day - that way it's a compromise between you and your husband?

Marla said...

I love your little signs for letting the kiddos' friends know when it is or is not play time. Very cute (Pinterest is the best) and functional! You'll have to update us later as to whether it was successful or not.

Michelle Craig said...

Josh actually suggested we put a sign like that on our door! Yours are super cute!! We have the same issue..thankful our kids have lots of children to play with but they ring the doorbell ALL THE TIME! Our last day of school is tomorrow and I am SO looking forward to it :) Enjoy your summer!

Susan said...

It's always nice when school is out and summer can begin. Hope you have a good one. Good luck with the chore chart!

Joyce said...

A friend of mine used that sort of sign ( not sure hers was as cute, since I didn't see it personally). I don't think kids would see it as rude, I suspect other moms might make one of their own : )

Hootin Anni said...

Exploring Ireland would be a good one for me since this is where my blood line takes me. Excellent.

Tracy said...

I think that sign could start a trend in the neighborhood.

jui said...

Love the pic of D and the kids! And, love your vacation ideas - those are three of my top places, too :)

boyandgirl2 said...

I would keep the signs! I don't think it's being rude. I think it's more rude (not to mention really annoying) to be interrupted every two minutes. You have to preserve family time too!

J.Day said...

I definitely don't think those signs are rude. I think it's a great, crafty way to let others know if your kids are available. Because I would also be super annoyed if my doorbell kept ringing at dinner, too.

Zoanna said...

The signs are adorable practical. Wish i had thought ofthat when my kids were young. Unlike adults, kids would take the sign at face value. It' s being clear,not rude, like a receptionist holding all calls to serve her boss. and you don' t have to explain.