Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A rose is a rose...

As much fun as we had this weekend, I'm SO thrown off by Monday being a holiday!  Why does that affect the internal calendar so much?  Good grief!  Anyway - off to the hodgepodge!   :-)  

1. What question do you often ask yourself?

"What will I make for dinner tonight?" Seriously... I am so bad at advance meal planning on a daily basis!  On the rare occasions that I do plan a week's menus ahead of time, I love it... I just haven't gotten into the habit of doing it all the time!


2. Do you grow roses? What's your favorite color of rose?  Ever been given a dozen roses?  Where was the prettiest rose or rose garden you remember seeing?
I don't grow roses, simply because we have moved every couple of years and so I don't have the time to really dedicate to establishing rose bushes.  I love all kinds of roses though (you can't grow up going to the Rose Parade in Pasadena, CA without that ingrained in you) - and yes, my hubby gave me a dozen red roses the weekend we went away together before he left for Afghanistan! :-)  The prettiest rose garden I've ever seen was in North Carolina, at the Sarah Duke Rose gardens... gorgeous!


3. Do you read the freshness dates on grocery store products?  Will you use eggs past their 'use by' date?  Take medication that's expired? Buy a dented can?
On dairy products and bread items, I definitely do read the freshness dates.  I'll use eggs past their date, but no more than 5 days.  Medication, yes I'll take it, but with the knowledge that it may not be as effective.  Dented cans are ok as long as they don't look too beat up and I"m going to use them right away.


4. Should athletes be role models?

I don't have any problem with athletes being role models, after all, they have had to work very hard to get where they are, training intensively and being incredible goal minded.  In my opinion, many athletes are more worthy of admiration than many of our politicians, sadly.  I always tell my kids, though, to look at someone's character - how they behave when the eyes of the world aren't on them.  That is what proves someone worthy of admiration.


5. Edmund Hillary of New Zealand and Tenzing Norgay of Nepal became the first explorers to reach the top of Mt. Everest on this date (May 29) back in 1953. What's something you hope to achieve in your lifetime?

Aside from seeing my kids become successful, happy adults?  I'd like to have my writing published.  Someday.


6. What would you do if you had twenty acres of land and the money to develop it any way you choose?
 My first thought is for specialized veterans housing, to help those who have been permanently disabled from our recent wars.  With playgrounds and community centers for their families.  Wars don't only affect the service members.


If that wouldn't work, then I would just plant trees and let the animals and birds have it.

7. If I invite you to a party with a 7 PM start time, what time will I actually see you there?
Honestly, right at 7 if not a little before... 'cuz this girl has kids who are still in school, and our bedtime is 10! 'Cuz that's how we roll around here, us party animals.


8.  Insert your own random thought here.


Prayers still greatly appreciated for a beloved family member.  Clinical depression is so heart breaking.  I'm still praying for physical healing, as well as spiritual, emotional, and mental healing... for peace... for restoration...for hope.  






9 comments:

Joyce said...

Seeing the Rose Parade in person is on my 'bucket list'. I don't have one written down, but if I did that would be on it : )

I'm sorry you're mother in law is struggling..I will add her to my prayers today.

Marla said...

I think I need to find the Sarah Duke Rose Garden...both my daughters live in NC so we could do a day trip! Prayer of healing going out to the family member with depression. I also have family that struggles too, and in fact my brother just took early retirement because he was depressed & had physical issues from it.

Lucy said...

This hodgepodge is making me want to visit some rose gardens.
I think your dream for 20 acres sounds great and totally understand it.
I hope your family member heals soon and the journey is not too long.

Have a wonderful Wednesday.

Lucy from Lucy's Reality

Jhona O. said...

I admire your dream for the 20 acres and agree, it is so needed. I will say a prayer for your family member as soon as I hit enter.

retired not tired said...

Love your plans for the 20 acres.Depression is very difficult to manage - have been there! Prayers all around!

Zoanna said...

We sound so similar. I am not consistent with meal planning but when i make a menu for two weeks, i am a happy girl. At this moment i have chicken in the crock pot but didnt have bottled bbq sauce, so i am looking for plan b to season the met. I admire your idea for 20 acres.

Erika Mehlhaff said...

I love you and yours and will be thinking of all of you, and praying...as always, but even more right now...

E

Erika Mehlhaff said...

I love you and yours and will be thinking of all of you, and praying...as always, but even more right now...

E

J.Day said...

I'm also terrible with pre-planning of meals. Which is bad when you decide you want chicken and it's frozen so you have to add the extra step of quickly thawing it. lol