Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A humbled Hodgepodge

Have you ever had one of those days? One where you think it's going to consist of normal every day events, like grocery shopping, getting new tires on the car, trying to stay on top of the never ending laundry... and then instead you end up spending 5 hours in the DMV registering your vehicles in the new state you live in, driving home 4 different times for additional paperwork they needed, and then ending the day with the news that a friend has been diagnosed with cancer.  Definitely an odd, exhausting day.  

So here I am... raw... exhausted... ready for some Hodgepodge break in this week!  Let us away, dear friends!  (And a huge high five and shout out to Joyce as always, who brings us this little meme each and every week!)


1. April showers bring May flowers...what have you been showered with this month?
God, humbling me immensely.  Phew - enough said!  (Or maybe not... we'll see how this hodgepodge progresses!)

2. What is the nature of compassion?  Is it learned or innate?  Can compassion belearned?  If you're a parent is this something you've purposely sought to instill in your children, and if so how?

Oh geez, right off the bat with the deep questions, eh Joyce?  The nature of compassion is realizing that every thing around you is worthy of care and regard and dignity.  yes, compassion can be learned - and I try to teach my children to consider others, from the smallest ladybug to the homeless man on the corner to the fight for injustice around the world.


As a family we put together gallon-size ziploc bags filled with granola bars, bottled water, protein bars, and soap/shampoo samples we get from hotel rooms and we hand them out to homeless people we see on the street corners.  The looks on the recipients' faces, and the looks on my childrens' faces... so amazing. 

3. Do you prefer to watch romantic comedy or romantic drama...or are you rolling your eyes saying bring on the action flicks?

Give me a romantic comedy any day!  :-)  My husband is wonderful to indulge me.  I do the same with his action/drama flicks... most of the time!


4.  It's April which means baseball season is officially upon us here in the US of A. Humphrey Bogart is quoted as saying "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." Agree or Disagree?

Well, having never HAD roast beef at the Ritz, I would have to say that yes, a hot dog at a ball game is pretty darn good!  And it's never the hot dogs themselves - they are pretty much the same everywhere - it's the whole ballgame experience, the noise, the smell of popcorn and roasted peanuts, the fluorescent lights over a green field...


5. What's something in your community or city that needs fixing or improving?

Parking in our downtown shopping area - there's not a lot of it, and the few spaces there are are limited to 20 minutes.  Doesn't make it very conducive to wandering leisurely or enjoying a long lunch at one of the amazing restaurants.  


First world problems, I know.

6. Share a song you enjoy that mentions flowers or a specific flower in its title.


My favorite flower is the tulip - but the only song I know with "tulip" in the title is "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" which was sung by Tiny Tim on an old cassette of mine... but I thought it was really really weird.

I guess I would have to go with "The Rose" - which I remember singing ad nauseum in jr high choir...

7. April 22nd is Earth Day...do you believe there's life on other planets?  That wasn't the question you were expecting was it? 

Nope, definitely not the question I was expecting!  When I see just how vast our universe is, and how many other galaxies are out there, I find it pretty hard to believe that we are the only ones here.  Now, whether other species have actually visited us is another story...

8.  Insert your own random thought here.


Last Thursday I started a new Bible study at our church - "When Godly People do Ungodly Things" by Beth Moore

Now, going into it, I totally thought "Oh how great, this will help me understand why some people do what they do!"  I am not a prideful person, nor do I consider myself perfect by any stretch of the imagination... that's just how I looked at the title!  But let me tell you, last Friday I woke up and was under such a spiritual attack!  I spent all day so humbled, my thoughts and emotions going each and every which way, I was truly exhausted... I saw the inner depravity of my soul and was humbled... wondering if I was truly going mad or losing myself... doubting everything I knew to be true...and then I came home, and opened up the first day of the study... and it hit me.

"When Godly People do Ungodly Things" - that's me.  I am just as capable of doing ungodly things as the next person.  And God, in His mercy, allowed me to see just exactly how depraved I could get... that I WAS no better than any other person... even though my faith is secure... I am just as vulnerable.

(And what a relief, too, to realize that it was all a spiritual attack - and that I wasn't going crazy or losing myself.)  Praise be to God!  

This is going to be SOME study...





14 comments:

Kara said...

Oh my gracious I had forgotten about "The Rose"! We sang that song to death in choir. I haven't heard or sang it in ages, but I remember the last time I heard it, I was plum sick of it. I simply sang it waaaayyy too many times in high school. :)

Casey said...

Love your explanation of compassion!

Hootin Anni said...

It's nice that you two can enjoy the kinds of movies each likes and like being together no matter what. At least that's how I read your response.

Marla said...

I love the Ziploc bags filled with items for the homeless. What a simple but very caring thing to do! I will have to remember that...

April said...

Love what you shared for your random thought! It definitely does sounds like it's going to be a deep study, but such a good one! Ah...love "The Rose" by Bette Midler. Sure takes me back!

retired not tired said...

I love the song "The Rose" as well I actually saw Tiny Tim perform his song.

Theresa said...

Sorry to hear about your friend's diagnosis.
The Rose is such a beautiful song. I love that you and your family give out those bags to the homeless. What a great idea!

Mary said...

What a great idea to hand those bags out! And, good use of "hotel samples"!

Erika Mehlhaff said...

Your shoulders are strong...God knows it...He made them, after all...but if you need to borrow mine, they are ready...for crying on, or hugging, or both...

Nikki said...

I love your compassion answer! :) Hope SoCal is treating you well.

Joyce said...

You know, every Beth Moore study I've been in I've thought I knew what I was getting going in. Every one has turned my expectations on their head- in a good way. I'm just finishing her study of James now. We have one more week and I feel like I'm saying goodbye to a friend.

So sorry for your friends diagnosis. I hope it's early and treatment goes well. Take care... There are few things more aggravating than the DMV!

Susan said...

Praying for your friend. I'm in a similar situation with a dear friend right now too. So hard. Thankful for a big God.

Courtney said...

"The Rose" Is such a beautiful song! I love it!

ANd, yes, I think that's amazing what you and your children do for the homeless! I wish I would remember to put something together like that too! What a wonderful idea!

Zoanna said...

You have just reminded me to do the homeless bags again. I keep INTENDING to, but what's a good intention when there's a real live needy person at the stoplight where you're sitting? I am really sorry about your friend's cancer dx. Love Beth Moore Bible studies but haven't heard of that one. She is probably my favorite of all bible study writers--always goes right to the heart and doesn't keep it academic.