So last week we didn't have our weekly Hodgepodge because, well, Sandy came and wrecked havoc on poor Joyce's world in New Jersey! Thankfully she's ok, but understandably she needed the week off to regroup and give her due attention elsewhere! It's good to be back, though! Lets hodgepodge, friends!
1. What rule of life should never be broken?
Live each day as it is your last... some day it will be.
2. What's your favorite family recipe?
My mother-in-law's Carmelitas recipe... oh my goodness, they are SO good!
3. Is the media manipulative?
Yes, absolutely. Each news organization, whether it be print, film, or social media has a slant - conservative, liberal, environmental, religious... so of course the news that they present, and the way it is presented, will reflect those values and opinions. I'll never forget when my husband was deployed to Iraq, I was at a friends' house and she was watching Fox News and their coverage of the war. I went home and turned on CNN for the same coverage, and it was like watching two completely different wars.
4. Hubs and I saw Skyfall last weekend...are you a fan of the Bond films? If so, who's your favorite Bond?
Yes, I am a huge Bond fan, although surprisingly I had never seen a Bond film before I met my husband 20 years ago. I guess they just aren't the kind of movies my parents watched. We actually just watched Quantum Solace last night, introducing our teen to Bond. Sean Connery is the classic Bond - I mean really, how can you EVERy compete with him? I will say, though, that Daniel Craig is incredible in the role.
5. What is one thing you hope people never say about you?
That everywhere I went I smelled.
No seriously, I would hope that no one ever says that I didn't live my faith in my words and actions.
6. What's a nearby tourist attraction you'd like to see, but haven't gotten around to visiting?
Ummm... we live in the desert of Idaho. Honestly, there's not a whole lot that's well known for tourists. We've been to Yellowstone, Seattle, Salt Lake City, the Grand Canyon, San Fransisco, las Vegas... (all these are within driving distance of us... LONG driving distance, but still...) So, I'll list a not-so-commonly-known attraction, which is City of the Rocks in Idaho - that's where my husband proposed to me 19 years ago, and we kept meaning to go back and see it while we lived here. (for those of you who are new to my blog, we are moving in 6 weeks after living here for 3 years) But with my hubs deployed and gone so much, and now my recent surgery, we just haven't made it out there. That makes me kind of sad.
7. Where's your favorite tree?
(disclaimer: When I first read this question, I read "What" instead of "Where" and wrote about oak trees in general... but then an observant blogger - not me, obviously - noted that it was "Where" - so here you go... my favorite tree location)
A big old oak tree that stretches it's big trunk and strong branches over the driveway of my grandparents' old home in San Marino, CA. I loved that tree - its trunk leaned out so you could climb it easily, and we would sit on their back patio under it and watch the squirrels scamper up and down.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Two weekends ago we had a semi-surprise birthday weekend for my husband. He was turning the big 4-0. I say "semi-surprise" because, well, we're in the military and so he had to tell scheduling not to fly him so he could be home in time for us to go away. We were driving down to Park City, Utah - and that's all he knew. He didn't know that his parents and brother (and his family) would be joining us from Salt Lake City. He didn't know that our best friends from here, that we've been stationed with 3 times, would also be driving down to join us. He didn't know that his sister and brother-in-law were flying in from California. AND he didn't know that his best friend was flying in from Hawaii to surprise him!
So, I had a minor (!) heart attack when he called me a few days before and said that there was a military exercise going on and he had to report in to work at 6 am on Sunday. Did I mention that Park City is, oh, 5 hours away from where we live now? yeah... I freaked out a bit. Then, after I finished freaking out and growing 15 new grey hairs, I calmly called his commander (who is a friend of ours, thankfully), and pleaded my case with him... and he excused my hubs from his duty on Sunday! *note to self, buy our commander a bottle of whatever he wants for Christmas*
But, that aside, the weekend was fantastic. My hubby was duly surprised, the party was a success, my bro-in-law did an awesome job treating us all to a red wine tasting (I had a root beer tasting for the kids so they wouldn't feel left out) And we had SO MUCH FUN! I felt like I had been hit by a truck for about 3 days afterward - I didn't think about the fact that this was the most activity I had had since my surgery, but it all went so well, it was worth it! (And, par for course, it wasn't until we got home that I realized there wasn't a single picture with me in it! Oh good grief...)
happy birthday hon, I love you!
1. What rule of life should never be broken?
Live each day as it is your last... some day it will be.
2. What's your favorite family recipe?
My mother-in-law's Carmelitas recipe... oh my goodness, they are SO good!
3. Is the media manipulative?
Yes, absolutely. Each news organization, whether it be print, film, or social media has a slant - conservative, liberal, environmental, religious... so of course the news that they present, and the way it is presented, will reflect those values and opinions. I'll never forget when my husband was deployed to Iraq, I was at a friends' house and she was watching Fox News and their coverage of the war. I went home and turned on CNN for the same coverage, and it was like watching two completely different wars.
4. Hubs and I saw Skyfall last weekend...are you a fan of the Bond films? If so, who's your favorite Bond?
Yes, I am a huge Bond fan, although surprisingly I had never seen a Bond film before I met my husband 20 years ago. I guess they just aren't the kind of movies my parents watched. We actually just watched Quantum Solace last night, introducing our teen to Bond. Sean Connery is the classic Bond - I mean really, how can you EVERy compete with him? I will say, though, that Daniel Craig is incredible in the role.
5. What is one thing you hope people never say about you?
That everywhere I went I smelled.
No seriously, I would hope that no one ever says that I didn't live my faith in my words and actions.
6. What's a nearby tourist attraction you'd like to see, but haven't gotten around to visiting?
Ummm... we live in the desert of Idaho. Honestly, there's not a whole lot that's well known for tourists. We've been to Yellowstone, Seattle, Salt Lake City, the Grand Canyon, San Fransisco, las Vegas... (all these are within driving distance of us... LONG driving distance, but still...) So, I'll list a not-so-commonly-known attraction, which is City of the Rocks in Idaho - that's where my husband proposed to me 19 years ago, and we kept meaning to go back and see it while we lived here. (for those of you who are new to my blog, we are moving in 6 weeks after living here for 3 years) But with my hubs deployed and gone so much, and now my recent surgery, we just haven't made it out there. That makes me kind of sad.
7. Where's your favorite tree?
(disclaimer: When I first read this question, I read "What" instead of "Where" and wrote about oak trees in general... but then an observant blogger - not me, obviously - noted that it was "Where" - so here you go... my favorite tree location)
A big old oak tree that stretches it's big trunk and strong branches over the driveway of my grandparents' old home in San Marino, CA. I loved that tree - its trunk leaned out so you could climb it easily, and we would sit on their back patio under it and watch the squirrels scamper up and down.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Two weekends ago we had a semi-surprise birthday weekend for my husband. He was turning the big 4-0. I say "semi-surprise" because, well, we're in the military and so he had to tell scheduling not to fly him so he could be home in time for us to go away. We were driving down to Park City, Utah - and that's all he knew. He didn't know that his parents and brother (and his family) would be joining us from Salt Lake City. He didn't know that our best friends from here, that we've been stationed with 3 times, would also be driving down to join us. He didn't know that his sister and brother-in-law were flying in from California. AND he didn't know that his best friend was flying in from Hawaii to surprise him!
So, I had a minor (!) heart attack when he called me a few days before and said that there was a military exercise going on and he had to report in to work at 6 am on Sunday. Did I mention that Park City is, oh, 5 hours away from where we live now? yeah... I freaked out a bit. Then, after I finished freaking out and growing 15 new grey hairs, I calmly called his commander (who is a friend of ours, thankfully), and pleaded my case with him... and he excused my hubs from his duty on Sunday! *note to self, buy our commander a bottle of whatever he wants for Christmas*
But, that aside, the weekend was fantastic. My hubby was duly surprised, the party was a success, my bro-in-law did an awesome job treating us all to a red wine tasting (I had a root beer tasting for the kids so they wouldn't feel left out) And we had SO MUCH FUN! I felt like I had been hit by a truck for about 3 days afterward - I didn't think about the fact that this was the most activity I had had since my surgery, but it all went so well, it was worth it! (And, par for course, it wasn't until we got home that I realized there wasn't a single picture with me in it! Oh good grief...)
happy birthday hon, I love you!
Big C, my bro/sis-in-law, Middle C, My Hubby, Little C, and our nephew in the pool the first night
Getting ready for the wine tasting!
Gorgeous, delicious cake!
Wine bottles with personalized labels at each table
Little C with his best buddies who came down for the weekend - love the play mustaches!


15 comments:
Really enjoyed visiting your blog.
Your answer to number one is so true. Recently in my hometown a high school friend, only 48 passed away of a massive heart attack, another friend died in a car accident and another friend's son was brutally murdered, he was only 28. So yes we do not know what tomorrow brings.
Sounds like the birthday party was a lot of fun. Nothing like getting family and friends together. I bet you were in a panic when the mention of it not coming together came about. Glad it worked out.
Now I'm curious what those carmelita's are like. Because I have a carmelita recipe that is a bar cookie that is simply divine! Just hearing the name makes me salivate. :)
My motto is "LIVE, LOVE, LAUGH" and I do live every day as if it is my last. Happy 40th Duane.
My oldest brother was in the Air Force [long ago] and was stationed at Boise Idaho.
As for your surprise birthday party....super excellent. Makes me feel ancient tho...my youngest son turned 40 this year....see what I mean?
Yes, D. Craig is by far a great 007
Oh my! I sure hope people say I don't smell either!
A very nice set of Hodgepodge answers. Have a great Thanksgiving!
Sounds like you had a great weekend/party. I bet it took a lot of planning to get everybody there.
I did the same thing on the tree question and noticed when adding my link on Joyce's page I read it wrong and quickly corrected lol
What an awesome birthday surprise!
The kids with mustaches are so precious.
Loving #1. Laughing hysterically at #5. Thrilled about the awesome birthday bash. Now all misty-eyed...
Love,
E
P.S.-So glad Joyce is okay!!
Happy Birthday to your hubby! What a fun and memorable celebration! What are carmelitas? Not sure that I've ever heard of them.
Great job with the surprise party! Sounds like lots of fun (and what a nice Commander!!)
Hello! Hopped over from the Hodgepodge. I'm glad your hubby had fun for his party! Awhile back, I did one for mine and I spilled the beans when I was cleaning and he asked what I was doing... and I said "cleaning for your party tomorrow." Ooops.
Julia
www.momontherunx2.net
So glad you were able to pull off the surprise! Happy Birthday to your hubs!
Phew!!! Happy Birthday to your hubby and I'm so glad the surprise worked out. That big old oak tree sounds beautiful! We are moving very soon, too. I feel the crunch to see things we probably won't ever be back here to see. I pray your move goes well!
Post a Comment