Wednesday, April 4, 2012

More Precious than You Realize.

No Hodgepodge today.  Joyce is taking a well-deserved break for the week.

And that's ok, because honestly, I don't know that my heart would be into much Hodgepodge banter today.

At the beginning of March, I went to our annual Officer Spouses Club auction.  I sat with my friend Tami and her husband, Dee.  While I have spent time with Tami, I had never really gotten to know her husband - but that night we laughed and joked around, shared the common bond of being raised in California and being transplanted to the South (talk about culture shock!)  and even joked about bidding on the "racy" boob purse (yes, you read that right) and taking it to church!  Being with Tami and Dee made the night so much fun.  Their squadron was deploying to the middle east just a few days later, so we all knew that evenings like this were precious.

Then last Wednesday, while our family was having a spring vacation in Seattle, my dear friend Tami was living the nightmare of every military spouse.  She was receiving the news that her husband had been killed in an F-15E crash in the middle east.

We were on vacation, rejoicing that we were together as a family.  Their family will never be whole again.  Their two young children, ages 2 and 4, will only remember their daddy in pictures and stories.

The Air Force community will surround them... there will be scholarships created for the children... meals and hugs and tears shared... this is when we come together as a family.

Most of the time I don't dwell on the fact that what my husband does is dangerous.  But the flag-draped coffin reminds me... and I remember.

Rest in peace, Piston.

If you would like to read more about this amazing man, here is a wonderful tribute that was written about him.  Please keep his family, his friends, and his squadron in your prayers.

  

2 comments:

Sara G. said...

Sally, thank you for sharing so openly. Growing up with a dad in the AF and then later living in AF communities, I know that spouses and parents who serve are truly making a sacrifice.

Joyce said...

Oh so very sad. I will keep the family in my prayers. We never know what a day will hold.

Easter blessings to you and yours.